Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
plaxus

Alienware Laptops with stuck hinges = Cracked LCD Bezel.

I just finished a laptop for a customer.  They had a 14" Alienware laptop.  The hinges seized up and ended up cracking the LCD back bezel. 

I have worked on my fare share of laptops, but I cannot begin to figure out why the hinges were not structurally mated to the LCD screen itself.  Most machines have the hinges that screw to the lcd frame which is attached to the LCD screen itself.

This laptop everything was separate.   Since the hinges became stiff and seized, it snapped the back bezel in many pieces.  I googled and many Alienware machines have had this issue.  Dell in fact was offering replacement parts for awhile.

My only solution was to purchase a used bezel off of ebay and to bend and loosen the existing hinges.   This seemed to work fine, but boy did this machine have a ton of screws.  Did I mentioned the screws were all sorts of different thread sizes and lengths.

Not a machine to work on for the weary.  

Anyone with similar experience? 

I remember I had to do something similar to this except it was with a standalone desktop monitor. So it must of been a lot harder more you as you had to do this on a laptop. Well glad you fixed it.

@[member='plaxus']

I have been thinking about getting a laptop for gaming on the go, games such as Battlefield 4 and possibly Planetside 2, what would you recommend? I was thinking about alienware and i'd like to stick with Alienware\Dell if i can, but open to other makes as well.

@[member='jimmycool630']  I really cannot comment on gaming laptops other than repairing them.   I think if you have the money to burn, a gaming laptop would be fun but for most regular gamers, a PC is the best route for bang/buck and is capable of more upgrades.   

I mainly repair computer in homes.  Have been doing it since 1998.   I have only come across 2 gaming oriented laptops.  Both were Alienware.  The first was Alienware before Dell got it's hands on it.   This one has OS issues and it needs to be reformatted so not a hardware issues.  The second was a recent Dell alienware machine which seemed nice but had bezel issues. 

So to answer your question, I have only worked on the Alienware computers before.  Personally if a client asked me what to buy, I would choose the safe route and tell them to purchase Alienware as my reputation is on the line.  I could not simply suggest one of the many other companies out there that claim to have the next best gaming laptop. Even if the "Internet" reviews said something was good.   If I have money to throw around, sure take a gamble.  Some customers never listen to my advice and do what they want anyway.