Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
LegallyBlindCake

Worth The Buy?

Hello! :) my computer literacy is terrible. So i'll let your guys claw at this. :) lol

I want to say this laptop is not for gaming. It's for doing homework and recruiting.

(Right from the Amazon page)

Dell Latitude D630 14.1-Inch Notebook PC - Silver 2011 Model

$169
Refurbished
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2GHz
2GB DDR2 RAM
80GB Hard Drive
14.1-Inch Screen, Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Windows 7
Brand Name: Dell
Display Size: 14.1
Model: IBDELD630/2.0C2D
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
Computer Cpu Manufacturer: Intel
Computer Cpu Type: Intel Core 2 Duo
Hard Disk Size: 80
Hard Disk Description: SATA
RAM Memory Size: 2
RAM Memory Technology: DDR2
Ram Memory Maximum Size: 4
Hardware Platform: PC_HardwarePlatform
Display Resolution Maximum: 1280 X 800
Optical Storage Device: Combo
Width: 12
Warranty: 90 Day Distributor
Graphics Ram: 256
Item Package Quantity: 1
Product Details
Manufacturer: Dell Marketing USA, LP
Item model number: IBDELD630/2.0C2D
Product Dimensions: 9.4 x 13.3 x 1.3 inches
Shipping Weight: 9.2 pounds
ASIN: B004KZJ0UM
Amazon.com Sales Rank: 358

As a work/browsing machine it will do the job. But and its a fairly large BUT.... It has win xp installed.

My recommendation would be install Linux Mint on it. But this would make any windows software unusable, there are many good free alternatives to ms office, Photoshop, etc. Games wise you might be able to get steam running on it, though I'm not sure what the Linux version of steam has for hardware requirements.

If your computer knowledge is limited, this is either a challenge to help improve your knowledge. Or something to steer clear of.

D.

@[member='Dylbags99']

This computer is strictly for browsing and working. :D I'm glad it willl do the job.

What do you mean by:
"But and it's fairly large BUT...."

The computer that I'm getting is refurbished. Take that in mind. The refrubished computer comers with all those specifications.

Yeah, like I said. This computer is no where compairible to my main. You know how my dad cuts my Internet? Well he cuts my internet so I don't get addicted to games. Especially during the schoolyear. I'm not going to be to recruit because my iPhone cannot do it. So a laptop is very needed

Windows XP is "end of life" so you will no longer get any updates or security fixes.

Windows 7 might work on the laptop but would cosy nearly as much as the laptop.

Linux is an alternative is to windows, have just googled the model and depending on the make of WiFi card installed, you could possibly have trouble configuring the WiFi with Linux.

OK so this is more money. But providing you are happy with life without Microsoft, it is well worth the extra cash.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FNPD1VW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1419638861&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=41ofJFA6XLL&ref=plSrch '> http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FNPD1VW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1419638861&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=41ofJFA6XLL&ref=plSrch

Chromebooks are awesome, batteries last for ages and they come with two years 100 Gb cloud stoarge for free(normally $1.99 per month). Certainly worth looking into and considering. :-) can get them refurbed for nearly the same as the dell.

D.

Many programs just don't work or run well with XP. Windows 8 is an option as it requires a lot less resources then 7, but I to would suggest mint or Ubuntu with a core 2 Duo, probably lean towards Ubuntu as is (imo) a bit easier to learn even though mint is Ubuntu just customized.

yes it is Linux Mint Ubuntu about the same just customized but still trying to figure out how to install TS3 in Mint without using Wine but as for now what will be the difference

@[member='Blaze']

TS3 in Linux is a pain, but because Mint is Ubuntu based you can click the Ubuntu repositories and add any program that is offered in Ubuntu through the "app store" installer. 

http://www.sysads.co.uk/2014/06/install-teamspeak-3-in-ubuntu-14-04/worked for me.

*Dead Thread Necromancing!*

@[member='LegallyBlindCake'] -- be warned on those refurb'd D620/D630 laptops.  They aren't the greatest, and the batteries are known to go pop.  As in firecracker mode.  We've had several here at work go that route and nearly injure people.  I'd immediately toss the battery and grab a brand new one off BatteriesPlus, assuming you purchased that thing.

The laptop itself isn't horrible, just don't expect much from it.

This is a link for the battery for that thing ---> http://www.batteriesplus.com/product/38613-COM10004-Battery/548-0/4156-Notebook-Laptop-Batteries/100516-Dell/3168-3185-Latitude-D-Series/latitude-d620.aspx

@LegallyBlindCake 

You could use chromium os if it's for desk work and browsing, best experience if not i'd recommend xubuntu or lubuntu i wouldn't recommend mint especially cinnamon that mint uses. :)

And if you really need windows, use windows 8.1 it really work well even on systems with 512mb ram if it's configed properly. :)

Oh yes, i didn't think so much about software but how to make more out of hardware.

So yeah for office chromebooks are perfect, cheap, most charge with a phone charger, very very very long battery life, and cloud based if one breaks you continue on another like nothing happened.

So yeah it really is  a good deal.

Edited by suckahell

I myself would recommend this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-M6400-Core-2-Duo-2-26GHz-320GB-HDD-4GB-RAM-DVDRW-17-w-Win-7-Pro-/231459446291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e40ede13as my dad got one just like and its super fast. Suitable for some old games as well

I myself would recommend this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-M6400-Core-2-Duo-2-26GHz-320GB-HDD-4GB-RAM-DVDRW-17-w-Win-7-Pro-/231459446291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e40ede13as my dad got one just like and its super fast. Suitable for some old games as well

I have its baby brother.  It's a goddamn beast.  It handles everything I throw at it CPU wise, bottleneck is its video card.  It handled BF4 at around 30 to 35 FPS on low.

All in all it's a very good machine, but be warned it is heavy.

Edited by warderkeeju