Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Blaze

Anti Virus

What do you guys use for your Anti Virus or should say what security software does everyone one use Free or Paid

as for me i use for right now is EMISOFT, Malwarebytes WOT for bad websites also using AVG LinkScanner i believe.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKGe7fZ_S788Jaspxg-_5Sg The PC Security Channel for Pro's and Con's 

Norton AV. Does not interfere with my system at all, does an excellent job of keeping my system clean. Yes, I work for Symantec, yes, I get if for free. However, that doesn't make a difference. I used to love Mcafee as I used it at other companies and it did great. Over time, AVG and other free or cost AV's were released that beat both of them. Norton AV was considered a resource hog and people hated it, although it did the job well. Today, there are multiple Norton AV products to suit your needs. One of the more popular is Norton Security. It supports Win, Mac, Android, and iOS. Great for protecting those mobile devices we are all attached to these days.

I'm not trying to make a sales pitch here. If I wasn't working for Symantec, I would pay the yearly price for Norton Security. Look at the different options, look at the free options like AVG, and look at reviews. That is your best way to make a choice. Free is always a great word and some of them compete for top spot with paid products. Just don't rush to a decision and install. That way, if you run into problems, change your mind, or whatever happens, you don't have to uninstall and have any leftover files, registry entries, etc that may conflict with your next choice, or otherwise cause problems.

Good luck on the hunt.

I have been using Eset for years, now I'm currnently running Eset Smart Security 7. I've never had any problems. Last time I got a virus was when I had kerpesrky, which also made my system slower. I recommend Eset, its very light weight and I haven't had a virus in about 5+ years.

Kaspersky always scared the crap outta me with there shriek when the software detected a virus. But more annoyingly some features in the apps I use needed to 'inject' other apps, fir which I had to first disable Kaspersky. This started becoming quite cumbersome so I just got rid of it and installed Malwarebyte and Security Essentials.

I pay for Trend Micro Titanium. Been using it for years and haven't had any problems. Think it's $60 for 3 PCs a year, which is a good deal in my book. It scans by itself, says if sites are safe or not and if I download something and it's dangerous, it'll automatically delete it and I can move on with my life, safely :).

I currently have McAfee, it was free with my laptop. Works fine, really simple and easy to use.

In the past I have used Norton, didn't seem to do anything. Also, Avast was terrible in my experience using it.

Free AVG has burned me before.

I now run Norton AV ($20-30 download from amazon) and Paid SuperAntiSpyware $10.95 per year (I'm also a reseller).    Bullet proof for me.

I was however disappointed when a customer had a spyware called Sunrise Browse.  Super could not detect it but Malware did.  

This is a touchy subject for many users. I think of it as what I need to secure and what I need to not loss. Now days many people have web based email like gmail and yahoo so that threat from something installing from email is greatly reduced. Paying attention to where you browse is the second biggest issue, double check the url's.

Don't download questionable torrents and better yet stay away from torrents all together.

I still say 90% of peoples issues I deal with personally are do to XXX rated sites which goes back to my statement on paying attention. Nothing is free on a site they want you to pay for access.

Last 4 years with all my PC's (Kids, wifes, laptops, etc) I only had issues with updates and plugins (non windows) that download browser plugins (search bars mainly) that some don't uncheck before accepting the download.

So long story short I use Windows Defender only. I know people who use many at once and it's not needed, generally causes more issues. People seem to generate an opinion about antivirus do to time between issues. Just like any anti cheat software, anti-viruse is reactive more then proactive. The Norton Enterprise software is updated like quarterly and not daily like most consumer products do to many companies network rules and usage guidelines (restricting sites etc).

We are our own worst enemy and 99% at fault when we get a virus.

I don't recommend Norton.

MSE is bad now, you can get much better free antiviruses. It used to be one of the best free antivirus solutions, but it's not like that anymore.

For free antiviruses, Avast or Avira,

For paid antivirses, ESET or Kapersky.

Oh also look up emet, and depending on whether you have windows 7 vs windows 8, in windows 8 the Microsoft Security Essentials is called windows defender.

Have to admit didn't think it be a big response of this topic, at least the other members would get idea what and what software we don't like for our PC.

Bromance  you right about that we are our own demise Windows Defender actually does a job any way now went back AVAST. It' s just preference that we all have. Number one that have viruses are that pc illiterate (correct me if it's not right spelling), just don't click those links. But that's something that we all have to watch out for.

Edited by Blaze