Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
  • Announcements

• Dowin

=ADK= Discord Link   04/24/2017

Come join us in =ADK= Discord To download the Discord app go here: https://discordapp.com/   Discord is going to have a small learning curve over teamspeak so be prepared, but the fellow members as well as the Admins will gladly help you if you have any issues with installing or using the app. Once you have Discord installed all that's left to do is click the button below.   Welcome to the future of the =ADK= Community.   Click Here To Join! 
Bromance

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade confirmed

MS trying to "make" users upgrade by releasing W10 as a free upgrade when it releases.

No word on the exact details, but I would assume it will be a limited time only thing.

From what I have read and watched on reviews and tech specs it is mainly a GUI upgrade/refinement to ease XP and W7 users to the new OS. Best of both worlds so to speak with W7 and W8.

W8 took me a few weeks to get use to it and configure it to my liking which was a big change from previous versions where configuration wasn't as much of an issue. As many stated with the increase in performance generally over W7 and the break in period over it really is a great OS. 

Vista had a lot of issues stemming from the developer preview only being a small portion of the actual code which caused huge compatibility issues and stability issues that marked it as a bad OS. The biggest real life issue though was the changes in directory structure, GUI that left many users confused and the constant UAC that would pop up constantly. Further training issues for IT's as many novice users couldn't grasp the changes.  Weirdly enough the other big OS's including Linux Distros and MAC OS have had a more strict UAC for years. Well users screamed for a more secure OS, MS tried to deliver to complaints.

Now after service pack one Vista was stable and efficient, but the legacy had been scarred for life from the above issues. So the release of W7 was a success as many users that upgraded to Vista already had the basics down and the software industry was already up to speed with needed requirements that lacked in Vista's release.

Then the famous W8 release and subsequent debate by users on the "Metro Screen". Many users either didn't try it and jumped on the bandwagon or tried it and found the changes to great which turned to frustration. While I agree the changes were too many at once, the OS has proven more stable and efficient and truly does run better on many platforms than any prior Windows OS release. Well users where stuck in frustration on their beloved Start Button and hating the Metro screen many failed to take the time to get use to W8.

Well many are looking forward to W10 do to the start menu coming back, I fear the changes for users will still be to great and complaints will flow in anyways.

I for one am looking forward to the upgrade as generally the performance tweaks are worth it.

Careful.. With DX now tightly integrated into the core code you may experience issues with newer games that MS is in bed with.

On the other hand as many devs see Mac and Linux sales proving to be profitable (Steam Os too) hopefully future AAA titles will be OpenGL instead of DX. That would be awesome to run Linux and not have to dual boot.

Free.....well as long as it does not effect my games in a negative way, i have no issue going with it.  

I for one did not have to many problems getting use to Windows 8.  I like a lot of the new features but did find that some other things seemed harder to do and find then in previous versions.  

Is anyone running the tech preview for 10? I've been considering giving it a shot but am curious what the functionality is like. I know in past betas/tech releases the product has been fairly polished with few bugs. 

@[member='Pavehawk-wings-']

One of the guys was in TS friday running it and loved it.

I just took the plunge myself and must say I am impressed. I'm a bit behind as I have little experience with 8 but 10 seems quite nice and is relatively bug free as of yet!

I have heard about this. My gaming Pc will stay with Win 7, but I have a laptop too and it has had a lot of different operating systems on it. If I can create a USB bootable, I'll probably test it on that, but I do like my Ubuntu.

The fact is, while Windows 8 was a flop, and 8.1 really didn't do well in recovering, it is faster and provides newer support that is needed for today. Companies count on each other to force upgrades. Microsoft delivers a new OS, hardware vendors can sell new products based on the code and force you in that direction. Hardware vendors want to bring out new chipsets, new coding for higher response times, calculations, flops, etc, etc, they get the OS vendors to deliver that support in a new OS (in most cases).

I do appreciate the idea of making it a free upgrade. First, they are competing with Mac who has been doing this. Of course, Linux is free for most distributions. They need to cover their tracks with 8 much like they did with Vista. Win10 will be the new XP related release where there should be plenty of good and will force the upgrades to happen very fast for users on Win8. For those of us still on Win7, it will be an interesting trip to take down the upgrade or no upgrade path.

I have the beta, but haven't had a chance to install yet. I will try to get it installed on a test system in the next couple weeks and provide feedback.

Sweet. I'll definitely be grabbing that update. Call me crazy but I was a huge fan of windows 8 and 8.1. Currently running 8.1 pro, I find the UI way easier and faster to navagate through. It's also proven that Battlefield 4 preforms better on windows 8. Not everyone likes change though. |B)

I have been keeping up with the news releases and have the opportunity for some MS classes that is provided by MS employee's.

Those unwilling to upgrade mark my words, you will have issues in the future. Why?

MS has implemented, since Vista, reduced updates for non security parts of the OS. Meaning directly for games is DX. You will not be able to have the latest version. Yes some backwards capability but as we have all seen in BF4 specifically better performance with the newest DX. It will get worse.

Another factor is native hardware support. SSDs generally have better performance in W8 over any previous MS OS which helps the hardware manufactures to not have to require drivers, just firmware. It is rumored that as code changes older hardware will be left in the dust (vista release, remember?).

This won't happen overnight, but it becomes an issue when you want to upgrade your hardware. Like Linux choosing that nice GTX 980 will be a waste of money due to your drivers and OS not being able to utilize the power.

W8 was a flop in adaption but really is a great and stable OS, the stability is a proven fact. Over 90% percent of users surveyed that used W8 for more than 2 months rated it higher than 7 which is significantly better than any other OS release by Windows.

As posted time and time again it is the changes in the GUI that turned everyone off.

Comparing MAC and Linux to Windows is a little unfair. LOL, your average Windows user would barely be able to check their settings on most Linux distros even though it is less than two clicks away! MAC because they have a given set of hardware to test, like making a OS for a console. 

But to each his/her own. 

Edited by Bromance

@[member='nomad8282']

it will only be free for window 8 users I believe...thought I read that somewhere...not a fan of 8 either...had to help a few friends and was lost as hell...why can't the leave the core system alone...and give you a choice if you want a smartphone style desktop or normal...I don't get on a computer to work like a smartphone...of course Microsoft could fuck up a wet dream...morons...

It will be a free upgrade for every system XP on up. I am assuming it will be a limited time. When they released 8 it was $65 for a month to upgrade and students can still get 8 for free.

Lol, the core menus and system are there dorks. Right click over the start button you get control panel, task manager, disk manager etc just like any other Windows os.

you all can't read I swear. I have posted short cuts and that thing called google works too. Thank god most of you don't use fedora or other Linux distro for power users. Most of you would not be able to find the internet much less get past the log in screen..

sudo get-apt install common sense. Edited by Bromance

I've been testing it on my work build machine on VMWare and so far I'm happy. There are still some tweaks I would like to see and hope things will get changed, but the improvement over what MS did with Win8 initially has been stepped up big time. My biggest concern is always my desktop. I don't like anyone telling me I have to have any type of active desktop, forced icons, forced buttons, etc. And leave my start button alone!

This combination of Win7 and Win8 visuals and functionality all in one will be accepted much better than Win8. And, the idea of giving it away for free sends a few possible messages:

We know you hated Win8 and have a peace offering here in a free Windows release to make up for it. Must act by yesterday to get this free upgrade.

We know you could easily swap to Linux for free.

or a Mac which now seems to be giving their OS away for free.

We can't afford to lose any more market share so please take this!

It's not a bad idea and gives favor back to Microsoft for their blunders. So far, I'll probably make the switch really quickly.