Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
banditstpk

need some thoughts on cooling

i am looking to get a new cooling set up for my comp. i wanna get a liquid set up but im not sure if its really worth the investment. what are some good fan heatsinks?

maximum pc has run tests on them. I use there best of the best as a guide too.

[url="http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/corsair_hydro_h70_liquid-cooling_system_review"]http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/corsair_hydro_h70_liquid-cooling_system_review[/url]
[url="http://www.maximumpc.com/best-of-the-best"]http://www.maximumpc.com/best-of-the-best[/url]

[color=#ffa500][size=5][font=comic sans ms, cursive]Whatsup has some good advise there, and I would also invite you to consider how you intend to use your system before you plunge into a cooling solution that you may not need. If all you're doing is running stock clocks or going for a reasonable overclock, a quality air cooler may be for you. I'm running a Core i5 2500K at 4.5GHz 24/7 and I'm doing it on air (see my siggy). I've never had a heat-related BSOD running my CPU at this speed. If you're an agressive overclocker, or have a lot of heat in your case that you need to ditch in order to operate your system reliably, you might need to go for water cooling solution. Lots of research out there on this, and a casual search (based on your CPU, case, and other system components) should tell you what you need to know.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#ffa500][size=5][font=comic sans ms, cursive]Best of luck![/font][/size][/color]

[color=#ffa500][size=5][font=comic sans ms, cursive]war[/font][/size][/color]

I am in the middle of this debate myself based on the config below. I am looking to overclock the system but more importantly to me is having it all run whisper quiet. Sure you can cool it via air and yes liquid cooling still requires fans but will air cooled or liquied cooled net me the quietest system. As also mentioned basic water cooled CPU solutions are very reasonable priced - going full out and water cooling the video cards is more of a long term investment. For me as I have not changed cases in 7+ years the investment may be worth it - if I can get the cooling curve and silent operation I desire. Hit me up any time if you want to discuss this more or the options for liquid cooling I have been digging into.

Future System:[list]
[*]Intel Core i7-3930K
[*]Mushkin Enhanced Redline 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Memory
[*]Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard
[*]Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB SSD
[*]Gigabyte 579 SOC Primary Graphics
[*]Nvidia 9600GT Secondary Graphics
[*]Koolance water blocks (CPU & GPU), pump, radiator, and reservoir.
[/list]

[quote name='Timberock' timestamp='1328587945' post='19041']
I am in the middle of this debate myself based on the config below. I am looking to overclock the system but more importantly to me is having it all run whisper quiet. Sure you can cool it via air and yes liquid cooling still requires fans but will air cooled or liquied cooled net me the quietest system. As also mentioned basic water cooled CPU solutions are very reasonable priced - going full out and water cooling the video cards is more of a long term investment. For me as I have not changed cases in 7+ years the investment may be worth it - if I can get the cooling curve and silent operation I desire. Hit me up any time if you want to discuss this more or the options for liquid cooling I have been digging into.

Future System:[list]
[*]Intel Core i7-3930K
[*]Mushkin Enhanced Redline 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Memory
[*]Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard
[*]Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB SSD
[*]Gigabyte 579 SOC Primary Graphics
[*]Nvidia 9600GT Secondary Graphics
[*]Koolance water blocks (CPU & GPU), pump, radiator, and reservoir.
[/list]
[/quote]

[color=#ffa500][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]You can cool quietly with air or water, but a little give and take is involved. To cool quietly with air, balancing your OC frequency (don't get too aggressive), your cooler (quality is a must for good results), and especially your fans (you will have to get good, quiet fans) is essential. To maintain high performance AND silence will require top quality fans. The reviews [url="http://www.silentpcreview.com/section5.html"]here[/url] will help you get started. Some good info can also be found [url="http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/120-140-fans-roundup_28.html#sect0"]here[/url], plus there are some great charts that will enable you to compare fans directly.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#ffa500][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Good luck![/font][/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]war[/font][/size][/color]

I hate typing stuff, but I want to this time.

No ones really touched on it yet. But to really answer your question as to "what", you have to consider your system and the environment your system lives. You have to take into account a number of factors before a good choice can be made.
List a few off the top of my head with a quick explanation. I don't know your system, so I will use examples that should be easy to follow.

1) Case quality and air flow. If your running a $20 case with 1 or 2 80MM fans or a nice full or larger mid tower with many fans and/or large fans. Proper airflow for your equipment is a must of course, but a cheaper case has limitations on how much air it can move and size of cooler you can fit.
2) Your Motherboard. If you have a 4-5 year old mother board, and running all memory slots full, you need good airflow DOWN from your CPU cooler to move air over the voltage regulators and memory sticks. A lot of new heat sinks and water limits the air flow in those areas, they will need to be addressed. Newer cases and Motherboards provide enough air flow. But running 4-6 sicks you may want to consider memory fans.
3) CPU and overclocking. I hate the stock Intel heatsink, mainly do to the epic fail plastic clips. So a minor upgrade may be better then a high dollar set up anyways. If overclocking you need a good quality cooler system.
4) Environment your set up is run. You live in the High Dessert with no A/C or Swap cooler? Air isn't going to do anything but move hot air around. Water cooling would be better, but the rest of your system will suffer anyways. (Lot of people forget this!) Dirty, sandy area? Running 9 fans all sandblasting your stuff with sand and dirt will cause issues and need to be cleaned often, where water limits the fan needs and limits the dirty areas, making cleaning a LOT easier.
4) Rest of your set up. You running a Micro Mobo in a small case with SLI or Crossfire? Water will be better, along with fans to achieve the best solution.
5) Water all in one set ups. Though not true water cooling at it's potential, but a good fit for some applications, and sometimes a must for some applications. All in one's are maintenance free and will last a long time.

My Wife has an Alieanware PC (Hell of a discount with Military) has a Micro board, I-7 920, 6GB memory in tri, 2 460 SLI 2 1TB HD's and DVD. She has a water CPU cool just the CPU. The case has 4 fans with ducts to direct airflow over the HD's, GPU's and Mobo area with 2 exhaust fans. One out the back drawing air over the radiator, and one on top (hot air rises). With out the water, it would be a complete mess in the case. Now I direct friends who want to spend less then a $1000 to dell, and when they get it, I set it up for them (remove all the shit) and most have one fan sucking from the rear over a duct and a huge heatsink over the CPU and that's it, and they do fine, unless it gets 120 degress in the house (A/C broken) then it shuts off.

To answer the other part of your question.... It depends on what you "NEED" and what will work best. This large post by no means will cover every issue, but google search and some good sites (Like Maximum PC) will steer you in the proper direction

ok so this is to clear up what comp case i have and what environment and what i use the computer for.... i have the inwin dragon rider full size tower i have the asus crosshair formula v mb and the am phenom 4 cpu @3.6 not really into overclocking due to not wanting to ruin anything that i have spent lots of money on. i live in the middle of the desert in arizona. but the a/c in the house works. but my room does get extremely dusty. what @[member='whatsupdude'] said about the sandblasting thing.. i can totally see happening and that kind of make me more wanting to get a closed water cooling loop but i would only use it for the cpu.

I'm semi-busy atm so I can't exactly read all of this thread, but I'll give you my 2 cents.

I've been having problems with my CPU running a bit warm (idling at around 45-50c). Also I've been wanting to make my system a lot quieter overall so I went ahead and bought myself a Corsair H60 waterblock. So far I really like it, keeps my CPU at 29c idle with just a single fan! and then I haven't seen it over 45 (but just to clarify, I haven't exactly done a lot of processor-intensive work since I hooked it up earlier today)... also I'd recommend using the fan that the H60 comes with. I went into my bios and set my CPU fan (which is what you would hook this Corsair fan into) at 37.5% speed until the processor hits 45 then it ramps up to 100% just to cool it back down. Super quiet.

ok so i went against water cooling because that seems way to complicated for the cost.. so i went with
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
and i also bought 5 of these..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200049

i only bought 5 of the fans because of my case. i have the inwin dragon rider and it has a 22cm side fan. but.. if you install a aftermarket cpu cooler the chances of it fitting right with the large fan is very slim. so i figure.. why not get some decent fans that will do twice the work and look just as cool. we will see when the parts come in and i will post pics none to worry also i will post before and after cpu temps.

not a bad cooler,i do beta testing with CM i tested the 612 recently but i remember the 212 being a descent small factor cooler and the temps being good in the Beta discussion threads,i would suggest a push pull on it but its just to small to really benifit from the extra air flow over such a small set of fins ,it should suit your amd chip.I was going to suggest the EVGA SC cooler ,but it is 15.00 more but IMO cools better and the options of push pull and is pure black (personal choice with led fans for me)

Nice cooler, I run it in my kids PC, as you stated your needs, are close to mine (IE Not really OC and so on). Glad you made up your mind, and I am sure you will be happy!!! The side ways helps to keep your modo cleaner from the blasting... LOL,

That is an awesome case too. has a lot of neat stuff. [url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108376"]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108376[/url]

That fan which should sit behind your CPU... Does it suck or blow? I wonder how much it helps?

[quote name='whatsupdude' timestamp='1328847199' post='19240']
Nice cooler, I run it in my kids PC, as you stated your needs, are close to mine (IE Not really OC and so on). Glad you made up your mind, and I am sure you will be happy!!! The side ways helps to keep your modo cleaner from the blasting... LOL,

That is an awesome case too. has a lot of neat stuff. [url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108376"]http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811108376[/url]

That fan which should sit behind your CPU... Does it suck or blow? I wonder how much it helps?
[/quote]

right now i have two intake fans in the front and 3 exhaust fans the one that you seen in the pics on the rear and two on the top and i also have the side fan which is an intake but i dont think that is helping to much except blowing dust into the case.

well i got everything from newegg today and installed it.. wooo what a pain in my ass!! found out the side panel of my case doesnt like the normal fan install screws so i had to add little washers.. the pre-drilled holes were to big.. then i nearly shit myself taking the stock cpu cooler off because it pulled the cpu off with it!. but installing the cooler master hyper 212 evo was a breeze. i added a second fan to it so now i have a total of 10 fans in my computer lol. it is really effin loud now!. so i gotta fix somethings and tweak it to the way that i want. but so far so good will be testing the temps soon

all temps are taken with nothing running in the background just idle desktop

this is before installing the cooler - 104.0
[IMG]http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/BanditSTPK/temps.png[/IMG]

this is after installing the cooler - 91.4
[IMG]http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/BanditSTPK/temps2.png[/IMG]

i have actually disconnected the 4 side fans because there so damn loud! i can hear my computer out in my kitchen now which is down a hallway and through another room.. kinda rediculous. so im going to hook them up to my fan controller so i can quiet them down some but even after running 3dmark 11 my cpu temp only got to 96f but with the stock cooler it was pushing 112f lol

Right now I'm using a Corsair H70 with 2 Silverstone Air Penetrator fans in a push/pull configuration exhaling from the case. Keeps my i7 960 OC to 4.2 ghz nice and frosty! Max about 42C on BF3 full load only gets to 55-60C full load Prime95 for 24 hrs.

I was using one of those all in one coolers from cooler master but then i decided to switch to a full LC system and my temps dropped DRAMATICALLY even if you dont plan on becoming a serous overclocker in my opinion it is definitively worth it. I went from 62 Celsius ( 146 Fahrenheit) all the way down to 26 Celsius(78 Fahrenheit) the cooler your parts stay the longer they will last you.
-Trent

also more sometimes is not better with fans because they could be causing static pressure inside your case and then not do any good at all and its hard to fall asleep to ...BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Sign in to follow this