Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
  • Announcements

• Dowin

=ADK= Discord Link   04/24/2017

Come join us in =ADK= Discord To download the Discord app go here: https://discordapp.com/   Discord is going to have a small learning curve over teamspeak so be prepared, but the fellow members as well as the Admins will gladly help you if you have any issues with installing or using the app. Once you have Discord installed all that's left to do is click the button below.   Welcome to the future of the =ADK= Community.   Click Here To Join! 
armorer

Need pro advice on windows

Ok,  I am getting a new gaming pc and have 2 options on OS:  Win7-64 home or Win 8.1-64 home.  I know that win 9 coming out soon enough and also heard all negative talk about win8.  However, I know that some newer games are optimized to run better on win 8.1  

I need to get some pro advice on which system to get.  All other specs being the same - 7 or 8.1?      Thanks

I personally would say 8.1. It uses less resources and seems to run games better. On my machine at least. If you hate the metro menu you can always grab Classic Shell or one of the other 1000000 programs to get a normal start menu. It's personal preference at this point really. Try both and keep one.  

Edited by Secret0Squirrel

I don't know really on this I like my windows 7 though, I heard windows 8 isn't ran like a normal windows anymore that's its more for the touchscreens, am I wrong on this portion?

I don't know really on this I like my windows 7 though, I heard windows 8 isn't ran like a normal windows anymore that's its more for the touchscreens, am I wrong on this portion?

I personally love windows 8. It's easy to use once you learn the new platform and it runs pretty flawlessly.

This is personal opinion based on extensive testing of both operating systems.

Windows 8.1 has a lot of newer gaming drivers and supports direct x 11 alot better then windows 7. Direct X is more or less built into windows 8.1 and also has much better driver support.

I moved from windows 7 to windows 8 due to gaming performance and never looked back..

Well windows 7 is my personal pref and in your case I would go with windows 7 due to the fact that Windows 8 is known to not work well with some versions of nvidia's drivers especially if you have 4 screens like me. 

I recommend going for Windows 8.1 instead of windows 7. Earlier i did a benchmark of BF4 running Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

post-5340-0-69414600-1393531405.png

post-5340-0-23016200-1393531407.png

34,373 more FPS on average. 

If you really like the Windows 7 interface and dont like the metro UI you can use Classic shell. Allows you to use the windows 7 or vista start menu

http://www.classicshell.net/

Let's be honest.   Is it possible that for all of you who switched from 7 to 8.X thought it was faster because it was?

Meaning you had junked up your Windows 7 install with years of trash and BS updates, drivers,etc.  When you tested on Windows 8.X, there wasn't anything installed,but a clean drive.  So yeah it probably did run faster. 

If you're on the fence, choose the latest 8.1.  You can find things to make it work for you.  As for me, I am not going to feed the 8.x debate. I have my reasons for skipping it and will wait until 9 or reinstall 7 if needed.

Windows 9 preview comes out tomorrow.  There is no word on the actual release date yet so don't hold your breath for that.   Get 8.1 and start gaming ASAP! 

I made the switch to 8.1 this year, I had been running 7 Pro since it was released and loved it, but wanted to switch to a ssd for my boot drive and 8.1 handles ssd's much better than 7 does

Let's be honest.   Is it possible that for all of you who switched from 7 to 8.X thought it was faster because it was?

Meaning you had junked up your Windows 7 install with years of trash and BS updates, drivers,etc.  When you tested on Windows 8.X, there wasn't anything installed,but a clean drive.  So yeah it probably did run faster. 

Funny you should mention, Because i dont clog my installs. There is no way i could have accumulated the equal to 34 fps on Average in shit on my system when it was a fresh install 

Edited by chili_nor

@[member='plaxus']

Generally that went away with XP, but if you are a person who installs and uninstalls software a lot that will cause issues from Windows registries and bad software uninstalls (EA is bad for this).

Generally your slow down since Vista is from your the older platter hard drives. They slow down overtime and nothing you can do about it, and yes a fresh install will feel faster for a short while. SSD's do generally eliminate this issue.

Also proper maintenance and paying attention to what you're doing solves almost all issues....

Windows 8 has proven to be faster. Metro is terrible so follow the suggestion for the "classic" options. You will be fine and Windows 10 upgrade will be free according to Microsoft. I'm on Win7 now, but actually in process this weekend of bumping up to Win 8.1 after I get everything backed up and unregistered, etc.