Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
  • Announcements

• Dowin

=ADK= Discord Link   04/24/2017

Come join us in =ADK= Discord To download the Discord app go here: https://discordapp.com/   Discord is going to have a small learning curve over teamspeak so be prepared, but the fellow members as well as the Admins will gladly help you if you have any issues with installing or using the app. Once you have Discord installed all that's left to do is click the button below.   Welcome to the future of the =ADK= Community.   Click Here To Join! 

Greetings;

I am not sure if anyone can help me in this situation;

I have a Dell XPS 9100 and planning to upgrade.

Current specs are:

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.67 GHz

RAM: 6 GB

VGA: Nvidia Geforce GTX 260

Planning to upgrade it to:

Processor: Intel Dual Core processor i5 or i7 4k series

RAM: 16-24 GB

VGA: Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 TI 2GB or greater

Planning to add more:

Power Supply to 660W

SSD 120-250GB

Possibly a creative sound card (this is still in the maybe section.)

So; Budget is not a factor over time, I always thought that Dell computers are vendor locked in but I thought it would be wise to ask then to keep on living with the same idea.

I am planning to upgrade this for video editing, 2d arts and 3d arts and animation, coding (which shouldn't really matter because I am using Raspberry PI and routing it through putty to this PC and vice versa for coding,) and possibly sound recording.

If this is possible, and if anyone can talk this with me and confirm it? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Edited by nitewalkr

Sorry for spam posting but I will have to remember this motherboard:

X501H 0X501H CN0X501H CN-0X501H RI0707 intel LGA 1366 X58

This is what I have and I am looking for something equivalent to this as well. Or perhaps not. Depends on the discussion.

nitewalker,

Caution is advised here.  For some time, Dell has used proprietary power supplies, and thus proprietary pin-outs on their motherboards and power supplies.  This may or may not still be the case, but I would definitely confirm this using your Service Tag through Dell Technical support before connecting a non-Dell power supply to your motherboard.  If Dell uses proprietary connectors on your model (see Service Tag), at best your PC may not work with a new power supply.  At worst, plugging in a non-Dell PSU into the mobo could fry the PSU, the mobo, and everything connected to it.

Please take the time to confirm this before proceeding with your upgrade.  An ounce of prevention (homework) could save you a world of heartache (not to mention $).

All the best,

warspite

Edited by =ADK= warspite

nitewalker,

Caution is advised here.  For some time, Dell has used proprietary power supplies, and thus proprietary pin-outs on their motherboards and power supplies.  This may or may not still be the case, but I would definitely confirm this using your Service Tag through Dell Technical support before connecting a non-Dell power supply to your motherboard.  If Dell uses proprietary connectors on your model (see Service Tag), at best your PC may not work with a new power supply.  At worst, plugging in a non-Dell PSU into the mobo could fry the PSU, the mobo, and everything connected to it.

Please take the time to confirm this before proceeding with your upgrade.  An ounce of prevention (homework) could save you a world of heartache (not to mention $).

All the best,

warspite

My only concern was "vendor's locked in." And as it turns out, I cant go any higher then GeForce GTX 600 series, nor I can upgrade the CPU then 900 series. So this was pointless.

EDIT: And after reading your post, I am kind of freaked out.

Seemed like a neat idea tho heh heh :D

I am not sure if it is ok with Admins but I'd like to keep talking in this thread regarding the spec help. I would rather have a new PC for the same stated use, before I fiddle around with this one.

Edited by nitewalkr

Dell is one of the few vendors that make their own stuff, and proprietary pin-outs on certain components (like Mobo power and Power Supplies) is one of the ways they lock corporate customers into their upgrade path.

I'm not sure they still do this, but I am certain they did so in the past.  This is one of the reasons early on that I began building my own PCs.

Best of luck!

war

So here is something that I came up with currently since I cant really match what you guys have but want something that can manage current and upcoming games easily:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/nitewalkr/saved/BL6qqs

This is the build that I am going to have later on (possibly next yearish if I dont make the first rig:)

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/nitewalkr/saved/z8LwrH

If I go for the second spec, I'll probably do it over time and possibly will take me few months to about a year to make it, The first one I can just make it.

Critique n Comments are welcome and much appreciated.

EDIT: Sorry my bad, on the first one it's not suppose to be 750 Ti, it was suppose to be 760 just.

Edited by nitewalkr

Your Dell you should be able to upgrade your GPU to any thing you want and add ram.

I have two PC's still running the I7 920 and they run fun. BF will eat it up though, but other games it will run fine. You can look at your modo and look real hard and should see in small print Foxcon some where. If it does you can run any PSU you want. The big issue is your Mobo will not handle efficiently any newer CPU due to the 920 running tri channel versus dual channel memory. So your mobo locks you in to that family of CPU.

As a side note, if you find the foxcon on your mobo you can flash the foxcon bios for your chipset and run with out dell's bios which limits almost everything.

Your 920 really isn't to outdated depending on what your goal is and what software you require. 

@[member='nitewalkr']

I recently build a nice AMD system. For the same amount of cash, and many times cheaper you can get better results with AMD now. With Mantle it actually beat many Intel (including mine) with performance and FPS. Where AMD fails is CPU intensive games and software. 

@=ADK= warspite

Not anymore, but you will have issues with the case on the Alienwares. They have custom wire length that makes another PSU hard to use.

But a 920 is an older system, so good advice just in case, but it was the power cord that was different not the plugs. 90% of the dells use Foxcon Mobo's.

The one my kid runs (not a dell) with a 920, has 6 gb ram in tri (3 2gb sticks) and a 6750 ATI card. Runs everything he does fine.

The wife had a Alienware with a 920 8gb in tri and a 670 GTX and was able to play BF4 on medium with out issue. She also played TF2 and CS:go etc just fine.

Because software lagging (generally) way behind your 920 isn't that far out of date and depending on your need and budget you can get another year easy. Yes if you are big into movie creating, 3d modelling etc it will work but a newer I7 will make life faster.

If you upgrade I suggest a very good cleaning and if you are still running the original H/D I would suggest replacing that to. I have found a  2 plus year old HD expesually if you download, install and un-install a lot will speed up performance significantly. Also clean your CPU and replace the thermo past. If you feel comfortable also do your chipsets thermo paste.

Over a course of heating and cooling the paste breaks down and in some cases melt out for between the aluminum heat sinks and lose there efficiency. The XPS should have great cooling design so you should be good.

The 760 ti should run fine with your PSU as long as you have the correct connectors from your PSU. Dell uses some of the best PSU you can get.

Okay, that is a standared ATX mobo that can be replaced with any standard ATX mobo. 

So it depends on what you want to do. But according to what I read many people have upgraded their systems so everything except the case has been replaced.

The PSU and GPU can be swapped out anytime with standared replacement parts etc etc. 

I couldn't find the manufacture of the mobo for Dell, but that sucker is expensive still.

Okay, that is a standared ATX mobo that can be replaced with any standard ATX mobo. 

So it depends on what you want to do. But according to what I read many people have upgraded their systems so everything except the case has been replaced.

The PSU and GPU can be swapped out anytime with standared replacement parts etc etc. 

I couldn't find the manufacture of the mobo for Dell, but that sucker is expensive still.

Flextronics PSU assumingly 425w-475w. According to my research as well; PSU can be changed and any ATX standard PSU will do. GPU can be upgraded to the recent one depending on what PSU is being used. Besides that, RAM sticks can be upgraded as well. SSD with the rack can be added as well so pretty much my upgrade comes down to $540.00-$600.00.

CPU is fine because its one of the best of its generation so I can make the most out of the MOBOs and CPU.

current upgrade goal:

-GF-GTX 660 2g

-12Gigs of Ram

-120GB ssd

-500-550 PSU (Maybe on this one. The reason being; It says that the current PSU can support up to GTX 660 2g.)

NOTE: This isnt carved in stone and the parts will be bought over time for the upgrade, so any suggestion would really help.

Thanks.

Edited by nitewalkr