Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
  • Announcements

• AOBLXIX

Battlefield F.A.Q. [Please Read]   04/18/2016

After multiple questions coming up that were about the same topic we have decided to create a little F.A.Q regarding some of the most talked about topics. Please make sure you read EVERY question and answer. First thing's first, please use the search feature before you ask a question because it might have been answered already: CLICK HERE TO USE THE SEARCH FEATURE Q. I've been banned what do I do? A. Visit the "Ban Info" menu at the top of the page and click that appropriate link that relates to your ban. Then make sure you fill out the form properly after reading the guidelines to submitting a ban dispute Q. What do I do if someone is hacking? A. If you are in game you can report said individual using @report 'playername' REASON HERE If that doesn't help you, you can always submit a ban request by visiting the "Ban Info" menu at the top of the page and clicking the appropriate link Q. Can I submit a request for a new server, or a smaller special server? A. Sure but to put it bluntly most requests have been made already so rather than making a request that has already been made you should visit THIS LINK. That link talks about how we can go about getting more servers and what needs to be done to get those. Q. Well why don't you change some of the servers that you have now to those special servers? A. Because we have those servers as they are what stay full and are the easiest to keep populated. Just because 5 people like something doesn't mean that it's a smart option to keep a server that those 5 people think is a good server. Q. Why don't you change the ticket counts? A. Ok this is where you need to start realizing that the admins at ADK have been running servers for well over a combined 20 years if not more. We promise we're not going to do something that won't work and if we do happen to do that we have our admins making sure that we try to provide the best servers possible for as many people as possible. We love suggestions but when the suggestions are made that make us seem like we don't know what the heck we are doing that's when it's a little overboard. Again just because you and your buddies like something doesn't mean it's a great idea for a large gaming community as the server won't stay populated and pay for itself. We do want to start bringing more of those to the community, but please refer to the answer of the 3rd questions where a link was posted regarding different servers and how to make it happen. But to answer this question some, on certain servers like our BF3 TDM, it is meant to be a quick round server where you have a match that ends quickly. Some people don't want to play a round that goes on for 30 minutes, and a lot of people have enjoyed it. And again our admins do look at servers and how they are doing, but don't forget just because a few people want something doesn't mean everyone wants it. Q. How come I can't use explosives in a no explosives server but everybody else can? A. In actuality those individuals aren't supposed to either, but they are choosing to break the rules We are humans and unfortunately we aren't perfect to catch everyone. But our admins do the best that they can to be perfect and we have our auto admin in place for no explosives, but it comes down to rules are rules. If you choose to break them and you get in trouble, that is your fault and there is nobody else to blame. You can make reports and if admins aren't in the server they will go over them to see those who break the rules often and will deal with them. Just because an admin isn't in the server doesn't mean that we aren't looking at the reports. Q. Why don't you have servers that have multiple expansion maps on them? A. Because they are quite difficult to maintain unless you have people willing to be in the servers and make sure they are populated day in and day out. Please refer again to the link in the answer of the third question as this relates to that. If we have people who are going to make sure that these servers will indeed stay populated then possibly but so far we haven't been able to get that. In the past we've done B2K which a lot of people were begging for an it went nowhere. Q. There's someone cursing and using racist remarks in the server, why haven't they been banned? A. Because the reality of it is nobody will ever be happy, these are not remarks that you will see any admin using but we aren't going to police everybody and what they say. What one person might find offensive, the other person might not. So if we remove a few words then we'll need to remove all words that people find offensive. Now if the individual is spamming constantly and/or just being a troll about it you can always submit a ban request and let us know what was happening. Admins will then look over it to see what action needs to be taken. Q. Why don't you kick people who have a high ping? A. In reality high ping doesn't cause as many problems as a lot of people think. Admins have been talked to about how to handle something that is absurd but they will not kick someone with a 150 ping because people are complaining about them. We have members from all over the world and we're not going to limit what servers they play on. Someone's high ping to a server does not cause a server to lag. If the server is lagging it'll be everyone noticing it. BUT if there are only a few individuals who are complaining about lag, it's more than likely an issue with their connection to the server. The best thing to do would be do a tracert to the server, but most people don't want to believe that they might have an issue on their end or somewhere between their house and the server. And the reality is that there could be an issue that someone is seeing. There are plenty of posts about ping in the servers so feel free to do a search to look them up. Q. Why don't you just disable weapons that you can't use in the no explosive server? A. Don't you think we would have done that if it was possible? :) Q. Why can't I dispute a ban after 2 months? A. If people cared so much to play on our servers after a perma ban, they would come and dispute within the first 2 months. We feel 2 months is more than enough time to dispute a perma ban. Q. Why don't you have anything besides 64 slot servers? A. Again refer to the link in the answer to question number three. But long story short, it's not easy to keep small number servers populated as often as possible when we have as many servers as we do. Due to the fact that you could lose 15 people at a time in one game, there goes half the population of the server which could indeed empty the server. So if it's wanted we need people willing to put in the time and effort to do such and to make it so that there is always a queue for the servers. Q. Why does it seem like you guys get frustrated when people ask certain questions? A. Seriously though, it's because they are normally questions that have been answered multiple times and most of the time it appears that the question wasn't thought about in the manner of "Hey I wonder if anybody else has posted about this." Unlike Battlelog where things normally get hidden and admins don't respond, we do see pretty much 99% of everything that is posted without it getting lost because of the fact that we have admins for each particular section of the community. And those admins do make sure that we respond to topics where someone might have a question. So with that last question being answerd, please just take 10 seconds to browse the forums and search to see if your topic has been discussed before you go and make a post. If it's not too old or hasn't been answered feel free to leave your input but a lot of the same questions are coming up over and over. Ping, ping, ping, why can't I use explosives, ping, ping, can we have more servers, why can't we have these maps, why do you only have like 200 tickets on the TDM server, 64 players is a lot of people to have on a server, where are the expansion maps, why is this person using curse words and racist remarks and hasn't been banned yet. As always we do appreciate and ask for suggestions but most of the questions that we see over and over have been answered and could be answered for you by making a search on the forums. Thank you for your support of the community and as always we will continue to provide the best possible gaming experience on our servers for as many people in the world.
michael6424

Squad scramble for ADK BF4 servers

Well I guess the top squads that have come to us and complained before meant nothing. I'll pretend like it's never been brought up in the past.

What would they even back up their cause with? If you already had complaints, too bad they were not about squad scramble. I believe we provided some solid arguments against it. Complaining for being team scrambled with the squad intact doesn't seam reasonable. What were their arguments?

What would they even back up their cause with? If you already had complaints, too bad they were not about squad scramble. I believe we provided some solid arguments against it. Complaining for being team scrambled with the squad intact doesn't seam reasonable. What were their arguments?

People bitch for the sake of bitching. Boogly killed me he's haxing. So and so shot me from the spawn with a bipod'd lmg ban bipods. This generation of players takes no personal responsibility and it's always someone elses fault for whatever, and no matter what as the server owner you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Can't please everyone so you have to go with what the majority want but again no matter what someone is going to complain with it. I agree squad scrambling sucks and I don't like it but when you have one really strong squad thats rotating teams it isnt balance its alternating who wins. You need two strong squads on opposing teams to make it balanced and unfortunately that doesn't always happen with the people who join.

People bitch for the sake of bitching. Boogly killed me he's haxing. So and so shot me from the spawn with a bipod'd lmg ban bipods. This generation of players takes no personal responsibility and it's always someone elses fault for whatever, and no matter what as the server owner you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Can't please everyone so you have to go with what the majority want but again no matter what someone is going to complain with it. I agree squad scrambling sucks and I don't like it but when you have one really strong squad thats rotating teams it isnt balance its alternating who wins. You need two strong squads on opposing teams to make it balanced and unfortunately that doesn't always happen with the people who join.

Yes, balancing will still be a problem. Sometimes there's only one strong squad, but very often there's more than one. I would even say (bird, Merc and boogly can back me up on this) there's more than one good squad on #6 most of the time, especially when the server is full. Having two good squads on different teams balances the game in itself and even makes it more competitive and enjoyable.

Solid point, but this is not about who complains about what - people will complain no matter what. This is about common sense and optimal server performance. It only makes sense to use balancing techniques up to the point where they don't interfere with the other components of enjoyable gameplay. SQUAD SCRAMBLE IS NOT ONE OF THESE TECHNIQUES. I repeat, the balance should be achieved by putting squads with the highest scores on the opposing teams. If this is done, I don't think anybody would mind if team scramble happened after every single round. As soon as the squads remain intact, anything can be done. Stronger haxing players don't mind if they're pitched against whomever, they just want to play with their friends. Not with some level 30 support player that throws flash on #6 no explosive server and never drops ammo.

That's me...no jk I throw flares
For the record I am not in favor of squad scramble. The problem is that in any balance scenario moving a dominant squad to the losing team would mean that squads on the losing team would be broken up to move players back over to the dominant team. I think members should come first when it comes to gameplay decisions and a vote among the adk bf4 players is going to have to be the decider on what the community does moving forward Edited by GrandBizkit

The idea that we have enough admins online all day to personally watch each server and manually move squads/players around is where your argument doesn't work @[member='michael6424']. As everyone else has said, there will be complaint either way things are done, but manually grooming teams is VERY hard and time consuming to do.

Scrambling the squads might be inconvenient and frustrating for those getting moved, but it allows for at least a semblance of auto-balance. When power-squads form up and create very uneven matches and there is no admin around to personally balance the server, more harm is done than the squad scrambling.

The idea that we have enough admins online all day to personally watch each server and manually move squads/players around is where your argument doesn't work @[member='michael6424']. As everyone else has said, there will be complaint either way things are done, but manually grooming teams is VERY hard and time consuming to do.

Scrambling the squads might be inconvenient and frustrating for those getting moved, but it allows for at least a semblance of auto-balance. When power-squads form up and create very uneven matches and there is no admin around to personally balance the server, more harm is done than the squad scrambling.

So far I see "everyone" voicing more opinions against the squad scramble. People will complain, yes, but I am not the only one who thinks that the previous version of scramble was better. How often does a power squad form up just on a single team? And even now, when the squad scramble is in place the base rape happens. Having a naturally stronger team for even three-five rounds in a row in 24 hours does not do "more harm" than the squad scrambling. Squad scrambling handicaps the team work. It should not be even considered as an option for auto balance. Without it the game is more alive and natural. Without the squad scramble people play with friends, get to work on their tactics, get to play as a single unit. This doesn't happen often in BF4. Having a squad work in unison is RARE, everybody knows it. So why sacrifice that for something that seemingly works, but doesn't do any good? We don't need more or less admins to move any squads, because often there's good squads on both teams. When we do have an admin on a server, however, it helps. Special thanks to admins.

Squad scramble should be cancelled.

Edited by michael6424

Even when Admins are on they're generally populating, not watching servers. I've had to hop on TS to hunt down admins multiple times to get a hold on servers. Seems like the issue here is that pubbies have a lot more say than members because their enjoyment is prioritized over ADK members. It makes you wonder what the point of being a member is?

Even when Admins are on they're generally populating, not watching servers. I've had to hop on TS to hunt down admins multiple times to get a hold on servers. Seems like the issue here is that pubbies have a lot more say than members because their enjoyment is prioritized over ADK members. It makes you wonder what the point of being a member is?

Being a member or non member has nothing to do with this, so not certain where you're getting that from.  

If people think that admins should have to come and auto balance the server 1 by 1 then they are nuts.  We don't have tons of admins/advisers like we did in the past so there are going to be times where people think that they are getting screwed over but people can't be taking it personally.   Managers keep track of what's going on and watch who is doing what, etc, etc. .   As much as you think that they are always populating and won't do anything else, that's not actually the case. . and again why managers are keeping track of that stuff. 

This topic should have been closed a long time ago, but we'd be horrible people if we close something and don't let people speak their word because they think they know everything and no how everything should be run.  

And again we will never win in this situation as seen by your comment here.  It's a lose lose situation for anyone in a leadership position.  We could throw facts in peoples faces like we do more often than not and people still don't give a crap.  

Oh and on the note of wanting admins at the drop of a hat all the time I guess we should just get rid of all other servers so the admins can be in one or two servers all the time.  So the metro and lockers serves.  And THEN we'll hear people complaining about how they want more servers, and it should be this type of server, that type of server, blah blah blah. . . 

"Pubbies" make up a majority of the people who play the ADK servers.

So what you're saying is the enjoyment of the majority is prioritized over the enjoyment of the minority. I think thats a good thing.

If all the "pubbies" stopped playing our servers, there wouldn't be enough ADK members playing to even fill 1 server most of the time.

I have tried moving squads around to balance things out but the problem is when you are doing that you are then screwing the other team over where you took those members out of to try to balance things out.  It just doesn't work that well.  If there was a squad move that would be different but as far as I know there isn't so it is rather difficult to try to move them one at a time to make them happy and to try to balance the server out.  But in all reality we already make some clans play on opposite teams as they were known to really unbalance the servers and they still play on the =ADK= servers.  How is this any different than that? If an admin is on and you are only playing with one or 2 friends just ask and maybe they will move your friend to the other team after a bit after seeing how the server goes as everyone likes to play with their friends.  But asking to move a whole squad over or all of their clan over well if they want that I guess they could go get their own servers.

The posts not related to the topic have been deleted, good. Just wanted to comment on what you said about lockers and metro in BF4, @AOBLXIX. It is, unfortunately, a misconception that these maps are for spamming. That is what many people do on these maps, yes. We don't dominate the game by spamming. Me, Merc-Blackwater, birdman, Full-Tilt-It, ZeroDegreeze, boogly, WingZeroKai, Emmortal and many other good players are very aggressive on the battlefield. And lockers is my favorite infantry map exactly because it is challenging and requires coordinated squad work to cap those points. Squad scramble breaks up the squads into individuals and promotes spamming. It stalls the game often and the match turns into a noob standoff. The squad scramble destroys the teamwork.

Edited by michael6424

@[member='michael6424'] makes many valid points, especially in regards to the behavior of the pubbies. Many of the pubbies complain for the sole purpose of venting their frustration rather than what they espouse to be a real need for actual team/squad scramble. So what if there is a squad that dominates and curbstomps the enemy team to hell? Shouldn't good squads be rewarded for good performance? Good performance isn't any more indicative of hacks than it is of good communication and squad cohesion (which is most often the case). Sometimes, I think the whiners deserve to lose because of their playstyle. Part of the reason they die again and again to the same people is because they use the same tactics that got them killed in the first place, which is just plain stupid: "That sniper killed me from over there! I'll just go to the same hiding place I just got shot from! He'll never see me there!" or, "Damn, this guy and his squad gets on my nerves. I know! I'll fight the entire squad for the umpteenth time! Maybe this time I'll win!" These are the same people who keep saying squad scramble is what keeps the game fair. What needs improvement isn't team balance, but the dying player's thought process. Other times, you just can't help it: there exists an actual difference in skill level that can only be compensated for by experience, not by team balance.

Personally, I think squad scramble is more detrimental rather than helpful for the game. Sure, it can potentially mitigate team imbalance, but at the same time, it takes away the fun factor for people, especially friends, who like to play together as a squad. Granted, these same squads are probably the root of the so-called imbalance, but isn't the point of a game to be more enjoyable with friends? By scrambling squads, fun is sacrificed in favor of keeping the teams evenly matched, but is that truly the case? This squad scramble isn't any more of a wheel of fortune than any other type of scramble. Perhaps it will help team balance, perhaps it won't. More often than not though, it won't. Oftentimes, people end up just leaving and rejoining the server to bring the squad back together, rendering it a rather moot point to scramble the squad in the first place. Others would say I am trying to preserve fun for the few instead of fun for all. I argue, however, that squad scramble results in fun for no one. Sure, the elite squad has been dissolved, so surely team balance would make it fun for everyone! Not the case. You will still have skilled players curbstomping other players. Sad face. But now, the newly dissolved squad is also unhappy. Bigger sad face. So, really, does squad scramble make for a more enjoyable experience? Not really.  In my opinion, eliminating squad scramble is potentially more beneficial to team balance overall in the long term. Sure, for a few matches, battles would be overwhelmingly lopsided, but as frustrated players leave the server, this makes room for potentially more skilled players to join the server, and this is often the case. As michael mentioned before, there are several aggressive players that always form a squad, and this squad almost always dominates. In my experience, such a squad will always encounter an equally determined if not more powerful squad opposing them, which raises the tension between the two squads as they fight for dominance. The potential for the formation of powerful squads on both teams is what I believe to be the better way of balancing teams, not squad balance.

@[member='michael6424'] makes many valid points, especially in regards to the behavior of the pubbies. Many of the pubbies complain for the sole purpose of venting their frustration rather than what they espouse to be a real need for actual team/squad scramble. So what if there is a squad that dominates and curbstomps the enemy team to hell? Shouldn't good squads be rewarded for good performance? Good performance isn't any more indicative of hacks than it is of good communication and squad cohesion (which is most often the case). Sometimes, I think the whiners deserve to lose because of their playstyle. Part of the reason they die again and again to the same people is because they use the same tactics that got them killed in the first place, which is just plain stupid: "That sniper killed me from over there! I'll just go to the same hiding place I just got shot from! He'll never see me there!" or, "Damn, this guy and his squad gets on my nerves. I know! I'll fight the entire squad for the umpteenth time! Maybe this time I'll win!" These are the same people who keep saying squad scramble is what keeps the game fair. What needs improvement isn't team balance, but the dying player's thought process. Other times, you just can't help it: there exists an actual difference in skill level that can only be compensated for by experience, not by team balance.

Personally, I think squad scramble is more detrimental rather than helpful for the game. Sure, it can potentially mitigate team imbalance, but at the same time, it takes away the fun factor for people, especially friends, who like to play together as a squad. Granted, these same squads are probably the root of the so-called imbalance, but isn't the point of a game to be more enjoyable with friends? By scrambling squads, fun is sacrificed in favor of keeping the teams evenly matched, but is that truly the case? This squad scramble isn't any more of a wheel of fortune than any other type of scramble. Perhaps it will help team balance, perhaps it won't. More often than not though, it won't. Oftentimes, people end up just leaving and rejoining the server to bring the squad back together, rendering it a rather moot point to scramble the squad in the first place. Others would say I am trying to preserve fun for the few instead of fun for all. I argue, however, that squad scramble results in fun for no one. Sure, the elite squad has been dissolved, so surely team balance would make it fun for everyone! Not the case. You will still have skilled players curbstomping other players. Sad face. But now, the newly dissolved squad is also unhappy. Bigger sad face. So, really, does squad scramble make for a more enjoyable experience? Not really.  In my opinion, eliminating squad scramble is potentially more beneficial to team balance overall in the long term. Sure, for a few matches, battles would be overwhelmingly lopsided, but as frustrated players leave the server, this makes room for potentially more skilled players to join the server, and this is often the case. As michael mentioned before, there are several aggressive players that always form a squad, and this squad almost always dominates. In my experience, such a squad will always encounter an equally determined if not more powerful squad opposing them, which raises the tension between the two squads as they fight for dominance. The potential for the formation of powerful squads on both teams is what I believe to be the better way of balancing teams, not squad balance.

So many words... I'm going to get back to cleaning my room from all my PC parts & continue overclocking my CPU. I would prefer to not have the players within squads be scrambled (so keep squads in tact, but swap squads around). Well... I will wait and see how this thread continues.

Michael I am totally seconding this. I played yesterday for the first time with squad scramble and the experience was extremely bad. I found myself talking on the microphone multiple times like a retard just after I got squad scrambled only to notice 2 mins later that I was in another squad. It brings strategic and team play to the minimum and makes the game look like COD. I understand some players hate it when one squad is overpowered, but most of the time these days there always seem to be at least 1 good squad on each side. Moreover, we have enough good players playing on the server to make balanced squads in the game without squad scramble. Finally, do not forget that even if some players are complaining about it, by enabling squad scramble, we are penalizing the good regular players who could decide not to play this server any more. We should put it back to vanilla mode fellas! We don't want operation Wal-Mart locker!

Thirding.  If people don't want to work as a team, they can go play Free For All on COD.  I'll stick to teaming up with friends in the server.  Very little pisses me off in a game as much as people not knowing what the hell they're doing and not communicating or doing anything in the way of working together to prevent getting steamrollered.  They can complain about stacking until they get a basic understanding of TEAM TACTICS pummeled into them.

I think its really bad form to penalize squads in general. The squads are not the problem here. The way people think the game should be played is.

The problems can be prevented by paying attention to what your team is doing. If no one wants to step up and cover flanks, it's their loss. If you look at your map and see people are needed somewhere you should just get it done because others will see you and follow. The small things make the biggest difference in the outcome. Everyone has the right to play how they want, but we can all do much better.

Get better at playing the objectives, not running-and-gunning.  This isn't some other FPS, this game has tactics that needs to be used or otherwise its a full on base rape over and over again, or a stalemate.  When people, generally, complain about the squads are usually complaining about the few top people.  Now whether you put a squad scramble option on the servers is an issue with those who want to play with others in their platoon, or just people joining in with their friends. 

We will set the autobalancers to keep squads together on servers where that won't affect balance in a bad way. Or, we'll find another way around the issue.

Topic over?

Awesome, can't wait to play Op Lockers again with people I can rely on. Thank you.

If OP of the thread is alright with the current state of this thread, there is no need for more discussion. We will do our best to accommodate where those accommodations will not hurt server balance or function. We are not being passive about things, if there is a problem in the servers we will attempt to fix it. Damned if you do or damned if you don't is still a job of picking the least of two evils.

Topic locked.

Since the balance topic keeps getting brought up, I'm moving this to the top so people don't have far to search when their balance thread gets locked and they're told to search the forums for recent discussions.

The reason these threads are getting locked (and some hidden) is the same reason as ping. The topic has been discussed to death. We are aware of the issues and we can't please everybody when we select a specific auto balancer plugin.

Any further input from developers can be amended to this thread.

Any new posts of complaints that have already been addressed will be locked.

Any new posts about complaints that haven't been addressed will be allowed to remain open so we can get constructive feedback. Such threads will be locked when constructive feedback turns into flaming/rage posts.

Please keep things civil as we try to find plugins and settings that work with BF4 in it's current, "unfinished" state.