Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
  • Announcements

• Dowin

=ADK= Discord Link   04/24/2017

Come join us in =ADK= Discord To download the Discord app go here: https://discordapp.com/   Discord is going to have a small learning curve over teamspeak so be prepared, but the fellow members as well as the Admins will gladly help you if you have any issues with installing or using the app. Once you have Discord installed all that's left to do is click the button below.   Welcome to the future of the =ADK= Community.   Click Here To Join! 
DestinedToFlail

Help! Need to get a router TOMORROW!

We're finally getting rid of AT&T and we need to get a router. I don't know the first thing about them and I'd appreciate some help. My computer will be hardwired to the modem(CAT 5 cable from the receiver), but there are some other PC's and tablets that depend on the wireless. I'm not trying to break the bank here but I want something that is a lot better than the Motorola NVG510 AT&T modem. I'll be getting it from Fry's.

Thanks a bunch. I really do appreciate it.

How may wireless devices are you planning on connecting (best to round up, just in case someone comes over with a wireless device or you gain another wireless device)?

How much security do you want native on it?

How many stories and/or how big is your house?

Do most of the devices support dual band wireless technology (2.4GHz/5GHz)?

Do you want parental controls on it?

Want wireless signals do the majority of the devices use (well, how new are they and what is the majority of the brand of devices being used)?

Do you have a specific brand that you prefer (NETGEAR and Linksys seem to be the top tier, I use Linksys at our house)?

And last of all, but the most important of them all... What is your budget (not trying to break the bank is vague enough for me to know that it can't be super expensive, but then that is where I have to stop and wonder what is the max you would pay)?

Okay, so this is the router I use and I do recommend it: http://www.frys.com/product/7867569?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

There is also one from NETGEAR which is slightly more expensive, but should provide a sleek look if you want looks too: http://www.frys.com/product/7229453?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Now if you have a bigger budget, then when you look at the Linksys models they should increase all the way up to EA6900 which is the "Mothership" of all routers. If I am correct, NETGEAR will count up also with the higher tier models starting with R.

@[member='Jinfusakei'] has made some great recommendations.  I personally use this netgear router:  http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00F0DD0I6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404655559&sr=8-1&keywords=nighthawk+r7000 I replaced a Linksys router with this one once it died.  I had a 6200 which I do not think they make anymore and replaced it with the 6300E.  This router is nice and can handle over 20 devices easily!  It also has 2 guest networks for when my son has his friends over they can connect without me needing to give them my information.

So currently I run the following at home (all on this one router).

1 PC (connected via cable)

1 PC (connected wireless)

2 iPads

3 Xbox 360s

1 Wii U

1 Samsung Tab

1 Apple TV

1 Samsung TV

1 iPod

3 iPhones

1 AT&T Cell Phone Power Cell (connected via cable)

2 Nintendo 3DSs

I have not had any issues and at any given time with me gaming there are 2 to 3 additional devices connected.

In addition I will say I have Time Warner and their router also has wireless, but I made sure to turn it off and then I also needed to "Bridge" the NAT on the modem to allow my router to handle it.  Since then everything has been great.

I did a ton of research and I bought the ASUS RT-N66U last year and I have never been happier.  I have 5 people who game simultaneously in my house and we never have problems with lag or anything.   Plus there's a great alternative software you can change to called Merlin which gives you a TON more customization abilities.  

Heres the router:  http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404666399&sr=8-1&keywords=rt-66u

Merlin : http://www.lostrealm.ca/tower/

I found out about the software from smallnetbuilder.com.   If you have any questions feel free to ask.  

Due to all the controversy and TWC combining with Comcast, you probably shouldn't use the company router since they have a tendency to become hotspots randomly.

Also, on Fry's, from what I have seen, you can get almost every single model of the routers. I just found the sweet spot ones, but you could always fork out some more mulah and get a better one.

Remember he will be getting them from Fry's.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm still sitting here without one >_< I ended up not going as planned. The budget is I'd say is about $125. 

My PC will be the only thing hard-wired to the router. There are two other PCs, three smartphones, three tablets, two PS3s(not used much at all) and a Samsung Smart TV. Just wanting one that is secure and can be password protected along with great performance. My ping in BF4 is usually under 100, but it can spike past 300 if a movie is being streamed, etc.

Our new service is going to be faster and I want the house to benefit from it. Small, one story. The AT&T modem we have now is a Motorola NVG510(not going to be able to use it with anything but), but we are switching from DSL to a microwave signal. 99% uptime and the tower is maybe a quarter mile away.

It doesn't have to be pretty. It just has to kick ass.

Above I mentioned that I have the Netgear R7000 which runs around 182 on Amazon.  You can see in the earlier post how I have it setup and what it can do.  For a little lower price you can try this one.  http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Router-AC1750-Gigabit-R6300v2/dp/B00EM5UFP4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1404779664&sr=8-6&keywords=netgear  Some people will live/die by their router, but I do not.  I got the one I have because I was given a killer deal and it was the best router on the market.  Just make sure to get something that is AC.  At that point you have the latest tech and it should not be replaced in the near future.

@[member='DestinedToFlail']

I will have to agree with BJ on this one. I was just giving a budget option, but his is pretty great too. I will probably upgrade to the one he suggested in the future, just have to live with this one, because the one I am using was also a great deal at the time (not anymore).

@[member='bjswick33'] I bit the bullet and got your router. I was lucky enough to be by Fry's while working today. I panicked when I didn't see it but then I turned around and it was staring at me from an end cap. I've been working enough lately to cover it. Plus, with our new service and this beast modem...the family will be much happier than the AT&T service.

As I was walking out, some guy said, "That's a badass router, man! You'll never regret it!"

Now I get to have fun and try to set it up.

Edited by DestinedToFlail

Some advice I have is to setup the SSID for your 2.4 and 5 wireless to the same name.  This will give you simultaneous dual band (http://www.netgear.com/landing/dual-band.aspx).  You will not be able to do this with the guest wireless (not sure why), but that's not a big deal.

@[member='DestinedToFlail']