Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Artorias

What are some good champs to learn? (OP champs this patch)

I know everyone has their own tastes and preferences for who to play but I want others opinions on who I should try to be good with for any role. I prefer Top or Mid and will Jungle occasionally but I don't like going Bot that much unless I know my ADC or Support. I have a lot of champions and can save for any suggestion that I don't own. Thanks for any suggestions on who's strong this patch and hope to see you in game :D. (IGN RealCookieDoe)

If you want to know for solo queue, Try looking here: Raign of gaming tier list

seeing as last major patch didn't do much for individual champions, Velkoz patch is the latest tier for solo queue. up the top of the site, there are links to other tiers as well such as jungling and 3's.

for my own personal passions, If you want fun competitive champions.. for mid i'd suggest Ziggs, if you want a top I'd suggest Renekton and for jungle I'd suggest Udyr or Kha'Zix.

Edited by Joey

@[member='Artorias'] try out Nasus hes fun to play for me and personally my favorite he's easy to learn. I usually go top with him and he always holds out pretty well plus he is practically indestructible in late game. If you're thinking about playing him then let me know I can help you out I'm usually on later in the day around 5pm pst send me a pm sometime and i'll hop on and play with ya.

Khazix is nice, but if its regarding jungle there are far more better champions to play. I do think that in Gold, Silver, and Bronze META is irrelevant but if you are looking for good meta champs I would advise learning Skarner, Lee Sin, Elise (She's always great), Vi, Udyr, and a few others. In other roles there are:

Mid: Katarina, Kassidin, Ziggs, Kayle (A bit nerfed but still deadly)

Top: Vlad (Personal bias, but his buff makes him a lot of fun), Jax (Nerfed all around but I still like his kit), Nasus (Just don't get countered by teemo), Jayce

Adc: Lucian, Caitlyn, Tristana, and Draven ( He is so much fun to play)

Support: Braum, Zyra, Thresh, Morgana.

Keep in mind these are not "OP" champs. They just current META that is much more important in higher elo. Play who you are comfortable with. 

.........this post makes me lose hope in this game.......don't ask what's the best champion to play, try out the champions and learn who's best for you.

I think he was asking more for which champions to play to help learn the basics of league and which champions are competitive at this moment in time. Anyone who knew about the champions of league would know there are some that are just not up to par in comparison to others. Its less a question on which is the best, but which would be good to try out for the lanes he likes playing in. :)

I think he was asking more for which champions to play to help learn the basics of league and which champions are competitive at this moment in time. Anyone who knew about the champions of league would know there are some that are just not up to par in comparison to others. Its less a question on which is the best, but which would be good to try out for the lanes he likes playing in. :)

Good take on the subject

Bleg I still don't like it, might just be me but I enjoy searching through the champions reading their lore and finding which ones just sounded badass and which abilities looked cool, then buy them and maybe I like them or maybe I never play them again.

Maokai, Naut and J4 are coming back into the scene with the recent patch for junglers. Rene is a strong and fun top laner. If you feel like being a bully. Amumu is a really fun jungle in my opinion. But it maybe a bit biased.

Bleg I still don't like it, might just be me but I enjoy searching through the champions reading their lore and finding which ones just sounded badass and which abilities looked cool, then buy them and maybe I like them or maybe I never play them again.

Lol everybody is different i guess. As long as you don't let others tell you how to play the game then its all good in my books. You play who you want to play. games are made for fun and money, seeing as i doubt any of us will make money out of league, we'd probably make the most of the game and just have fun!

If I may. I'd suggest Maokai and Morgana. For some reason they're becoming a tad bit popular again.

Maokai, Naut and J4 are coming back into the scene with the recent patch for junglers. Rene is a strong and fun top laner. If you feel like being a bully. Amumu is a really fun jungle in my opinion. But it maybe a bit biased.

expanding on what @[member='Yordle'] said, Tanky junglers and top lanes are what it looks like Riot is currently targeting. So give one of them a try, Maokai and Nautilus might be a little challenging to play at first but you'll get the gist after a few games. They are made to soak up damage and try not to die in team fights, picking off any stragglers left behind, not be completely over powered when fed. Though in saying that, i've seen a fed AP tank Maokai kick butt. Depends on your game play style i guess.

Naut can be strong fed. But he isn't to scary, unless you have a rune paged maxed out in AP/AP scaling. He wont to crazy amounts of damage. But him with mobi/BoS, his hook and ult. He is a great pick off/chaser type jungler, as well as being a good tank. His hook and ult give you peel, his shield keeps you alive and doing damage, and his e slows, clears and do damage. You just have to get used to his hook, since it can grab walls. It is both useful and annoying. :P

I haven't seen very many of the Amummus or the Jarvans lately. But I have seen the Morgana a whole lot.

Mostly as a support. Just because of that black shield she has.

Morg has been and prolly always will be one of the popular supports... A magic shield is broken in the game anybody with mitigation normally has the upper hand In a fight... And a possible 5 man stun always helps...

J4 is and has been one of my mains an if he can e mastered is is amazing for team fights though the entire game especially with the mobility he can get with his kit... But if your the main source of DMg late game or later in the mid game then your kinda screwed unless that's all you plan on building with no survivability... One of the reasons he hasn't been picked as much or very little in pro play

Morg has been and prolly always will be one of the popular supports... A magic shield is broken in the game anybody with mitigation normally has the upper hand In a fight... And a possible 5 man stun always helps...

J4 is and has been one of my mains an if he can e mastered is is amazing for team fights though the entire game especially with the mobility he can get with his kit... But if your the main source of DMg late game or later in the mid game then your kinda screwed unless that's all you plan on building with no survivability... One of the reasons he hasn't been picked as much or very little in pro play

Kinda surprised that no ones mention morg the bitch lately. Just my opinion but she a weak champ in bot lane. Easily countered by nearly nearly every support, and the person who she "hard counters" (Leo) just crushes her, the only reason people think she's so strong is because of her spell sheild, which is mitigated by waiting a second for it to where off.

Kinda surprised that no ones mention morg the bitch lately. Just my opinion but she a weak champ in bot lane. Easily countered by nearly nearly every support, and the person who she "hard counters" (Leo) just crushes her, the only reason people think she's so strong is because of her spell sheild, which is mitigated by waiting a second for it to where off.

Don't get me wrong... More support is weak as shit... But out of most supports she has some of the best utilities especially come team fights... If she does get a snare for the engage (on ad/ap carry) it will normally force 2 options... 1 pull the enemy team towards the carry for support. 2 free kill... She's only as good as the player also... If they have great timing with the shield ults and snares... She is a force that can't be stopped... But when the player is a sack of potatoes as for Intelligence she's a horrible support...

Don't get me wrong... More support is weak as shit... But out of most supports she has some of the best utilities especially come team fights... If she does get a snare for the engage (on ad/ap carry) it will normally force 2 options... 1 pull the enemy team towards the carry for support. 2 free kill... She's only as good as the player also... If they have great timing with the shield ults and snares... She is a force that can't be stopped... But when the player is a sack of potatoes as for Intelligence she's a horrible support...

She's the easy support right now, that doesn't take much skill to do decent with. But in my opinion the work you put into harder supports has greater reward.

There's tons of champions to choose from generally, don't limit yourself to champions who are "OP" just because of a new patch, otherwise you'll find yourself only liking him/her because they are op and soon as they get a nerf you might dislike the champion, and then it was just wasted time you could have spent learning a champion you enjoy and actually getting better at the game through a form of skill rather than just a champion being incredibly op.

Champions that I do still recommend though, are champions like:
Yasuo - Top, Mid or Jungle - Generally a nice pick he has some nice early damage and some great mobility from his E, which of course is usually my first skill pick of the game if I can harrass the opposing laner without suffering too much early damage via autos or heavy skill damage. In the jungle Yasuo becomes a much harder champion to play, as you need to get timing perfectly, you need to know how long it'll take for you to get to a certain lane while your tornado is still active on your Q and you also need to be able to land it, as a jungler I wouldn't recommend it, but it doesn't mean you can't try it at least once, it's better to find out and have knowledge of it rather than none at all. 

Kha'zix - Jungle - Generally quite a strong champion and can snowball really well if you can gank and get kills. If you feel like you are ahead in some way or feel that the opposing jungler is weak you can take advantage of kha'zixs ability to scale well and coordinate a buff steal with your mid laner or maybe ward it and keep tabs on the opposing junglers hp and try to catch him mid rotation on or on a camp.

Jarvan 4 - Top or Jungle - Again a perfect jungler for anyone who wants to take it up, if your team is ahead you can sacrifice a bit of tankiness for damage otherwise if your team is behind you can go incredibly tanky, in both cases Jarvan 4's kit still works and can easily put the odds of a teamfight in your favour if you can correctly land your E,Q combo + ulti without dropping your adc or whom ever else in the shitter.

Elise - Top or Jungle - A perfect initiator, tank and mage champion who does an great amount of damage if you don't fall behind too far, her ganks are subpar compared to most junglers if you can't land your e and if the lane is under heavy ward presence, she's great at catching people and she's also good at taking down towers. I would say Elise is a more mechanical based champion, much like nidalee in the fact you should try to blow all your skills in both human and spider from, although should always try to make sure it's human form then to spider form. In the top lane she has great lane sustain and can harass well with her spiders, although this takes a massive strain on her mana. A lot of Elise players top lane try to farm in spider form, which I don't recommend even slightly, it is always best to farm with the longer range even if the animation and speed of the auto attack is hard to follow and get use to, get use to it! 

Renekton - Top - A very common champion for the top lane especially in ranked. He is great for split pushing and great for engages, his kit is very all round and balances well with any team comp, so he's a champion you can afford to spam every game without the worry of champion synergy being an issue. He can harass well and deal with incoming harass well in lane. If you find yourself in a lane you feel you can't win, he farms exceptionally well under tower without too many difficulties. The most important and great thing about Renekton is that his core strength lies in his early game potential in lane, he can sustain, deny, zone and harass a lane opponent easily.

Fizz - Mid - A great mid if you struggle mechanically and want an all in champion to try your luck with, I personally love Fizz and he was a champion I mained to get to diamond. He has great lane potential against a variety of champions, his pre-level 3 is quite hard and can dis-hearten a lot of Fizz players from the get-go. Early game with a heal(or barrier as I use to use before heal became so much better) and ignite a skilled fizz can push the lane and take cheese firstblood on the lane opponent under tower. This tactic has become a little less irrelevant now since a lot of mid laners take heal instead of ignite, so they can avoid death in most cases. Although this is the case, no harm in trying? Late game with a zhonyas and correct timing, a fizz player can avoid death by waiting for the CD on their E and get out of most dangerous situations. Overall a great champion for thinking ahead and great for mechanics.

Orianna - Mid - Although not a mid laner a lot of people recommend I still think she's a great pick, she may be weak and have mana issues if you don't micro manage, but as soon as you get over that hurdle she becomes a monster to people who face you. She has great auto attack damage, so harass enough with her and the opposing mid laner will hate you. As long as you don't try to focus all your damage by using only your skills you shouldn't be in too bad a situation as orianna. Once you get enough to buy a chalice, or have a jungler who is consistently feeding you blue buffs you should be great in lane and have a better time harassing combining that auto attack damage and ball damage. With orianna another neat thing is to place the ball at a good angle for you to pull it towards you either for a shield or for quick harass without the opposing mid laner seeing a ball flying towards and them just swiftly side step out of it's range, you don't want a massive delay on the damage especially if you can't guarantee a hit just try different placements of the ball and it'll become easier from there.

Vi - Jungle - A jungler that lacks in some areas but makes up for with others, she's a jungler I personally fall back on a lot. She has amazing lock down and is an extremely strong duellist, as well as strong initiator. Although she appears to have such a great kit, she struggles to stick to targets well after initiation and sometimes it's just too easy for champions to escape her. Her single target kit is great in some cases, for example when she needs to jump on the back line ADC or APC. In terms of actual jungling, she is hard to counter jungle since she's not a champion you really want to face early game, although this doesn't mean that people wont try. Certain junglers like lee sin win against Vi quite hard if the Vi doesn't know how to come back or can't predict his map rotations.

Lissandra - Mid - Quite a hardy champion with a great kit and great lane control. She does immense damage at the start and can harass amazingly with both autos and q's (with passive). Her passive allows her to sit in lane for much longer than a normal mid laner and her over-all kit means once she hits 6 the opposing laner will be very scared of you engaging. Lissandras kit consists of high burst damage, soft and hard cc, poke and wave clear.

Caitlyn - ADC - An ADC with an easy to learn kit and a champion that can teach you the basics of the adc role without too many short comings. She has perfect range for the player to avoid harass while harassing. She does great damage and has a simple to learn animation to both cs and kite with. She has a escape and a good damage/wave clear ability as well as a long range snipe.

Since I'll be here all day typing up champions that I like and think are great regardless, I'll leave it at that :p but honestly, just try out champions. No one can tell you who you will like or wont like, and the patch shouldn't dictate a champion choice for you, if anything it should just be a pointer for builds or just something to keep an eye on for the need for bans or counters. Play what you enjoy NOT what you feel you have to play.

TL;DR: Just very lightly touched on champions I like and play on a day to day basis and said my point on how I feel about "op" champions

Edit: Also, shouldn't this entire thread be in the "Tips and Training" section?

Edited by Zheniro

Mid and Top would be Vlad - Ult adds extra % damage for everyone effected by anyone attacking. On top of this his E allows him to melt a team. Hard. His W combined with the flash can take you from their turret to yours. And the Q requires nothing and heal for a lot. On top of all this he has a ton of health and damage. The fact that he's AP means there isn't much defense (Nobody builds lost of MR because it's more effective just to build health in most cases). He's lots of fun. 

Hint: Crystal Scepter with his passive.... rape.

First of all I'd think of the style of play that is the closest to you. At some point everyone has a preference or so to say : "a natural talent" to play certain champions.

If you are agressive I would suggest you try out these champions : 

Toplane : Despite the nerfs she faced recently, Riven is one of the best agressive picks you can go for. She has an extremelly good kit both regarding mobility and burst. Furthermore her low cooldowns make her really strong if well utilized. Playing Riven, you have two huge concerns. One is your extremelly low health regeneration which forces you to pick long sword and 3 potions or red elixir + 3 pots as start. Going with doran's blade and a potion is just not going to be enough sustain if you can't kill your opponent below level 3. In addition you lose the extra health that dorans provide, therefore you have to use her kit very well early game. Your other main concern is cc, as every bursty fighter (jax, irelia, riven, etc...) is very vulnerable to cc, therefore you have to pick your engages very carefully. However, she is the champion (in my opinion) who benefits the most from flash, giving you an insane ingage and opporunity to burst multiple targets, thanks to your aoe, at the same time.  Your main counters are pantheon and fiora. However hard lane bullies (rekton, ryze and new ad nid)  can give you a pretty hard time, though its managable to neutralize your lane as riven is pretty godlike at farming under turret. Since I could talk for ages about riven, if you're interested, through me a pm and I'll pass my knowledge to you.

Midlane : Sticking with the agressive style (that is the most likely to get you out of low elo) my recommendation for the midlane would be syndra. Her low cooldowns and ridiculous amounts of damage, mainly due to your passive which gives you bonus % damage on your q and the ultimate, makes her a perfect solo game carry. You can pick up first blood at lvl 2-3 pretty easily with ignite and if you land your stun. Yes, well landing your stun might seem to be a bit tricky first, but believe me, once you get used to it, you can hit every. single. one. If you manage to get rolling early, which is very likely even at platinum level if you're good, you can kill anyone at any time you fancy during midgame. As the game is moving towards the lategame, you're gonna become the primary target due to your burst. However, if you're building correctly, you can kill even the tankiest champions within 5 seconds without doubt then clean up the rest. With your high range stun you can pick off targets before even before the teamfight kicks off and make it a 5v4 in no time. Same thing with Syndra, if you're interested, tell me, I'll tell/teach you everything you need.

Botlane : First let's talk about adc. Again, I'll just go with the agressive style. At the moment your top priority pick would definitelly be Lucian, however, as the nerf is incoming and the patch notes are not finalized, I don't know how his gameplay is going to be affected, so I won't bother talking about him right now. Instead I'm going to talk about Sivir. Yes... Yes... I know, Sivir is never picked at the moment and she is not considered as a top tier pick, but once you grasp her gameplay and get it right, you're gonna shit bricks. Talking about her kit, you want to level your q first, which will deal insane damage by the time you hit 5-7 especially if you get both the thicks off, which can be helped by cc from your support. (Just as a sidetrack if you have a duo support I'd recommend him/her playing Morgana / Thresh or Nami.) Below 6 your 'w' , ricochet doesn't really bring so much to the table, however after you get your ult, it gives you 60% attack speed while your 'w' is active, which believe me is ridiculously good when trading. Furthermore Sivir is even better at clearing waves when sieged than ziggs (which is pretty massive if you think about it). The only thing she is missing is a jump for the mobility, however your shield makes up for it. Need to dodge a hook? Why not just use it to get mana? Enemy Lee Sin is actually hitting his 'q' once in a lifetime? = Mana. Your passive works like a red boots enchant (which I would encourage you to take after you build your first main item on all adcs, even though it's not popular, it is underestimated), it gives you 30 move speed when you aa a champion. Plus there is your ult giving you and your team shitloads of movement speed. Add that all up -> you're mobile. Another reason why I'd advise you to play Sivir in solo queue is because of your ult. Usually one of the biggest problems you face when playing with randoms (besides afks, trolls, rqers and the rest) is that your actions are not harmonized. Ever happened that your jungler or toplaner engaged but there was no followup? I bet it did. All you gotta do is pop your ult as it provides your whole team extra followup or disengage. Not mentioning the fact that the sound and the visuals tend to effect people in a way that they are more likely to follow up. Need more? Contact me.

Botlane : Support. I would recommend you trying to play Nami. She is hard to play, especially because of the q is relatively hard to hit and because you're squishy. On the other hand she has the best kit among all supports. Need CC? Check. Need sustain? Check. Slow? Check. Damage buff? Check. Engage? Check. Disengage? Check. Teamfight presence in terms of what she brings to the table? Add all the previous up - Check. Once you get the feel of it, you'll start to get a feel that you are carrying games. And you'll be right. Hell yeah, you will be. Your biggest enemies are definitely Thresh and Blitzcrank. Sadly, once you're hooked, you're pretty much done for. BUT! you can still spam some fancy-fishy emotes, which is pretty cool itself.

Jungle : I do believe that if you can get your mechanics up to even a decent level, your best option in solo queue is the friggin' Blind Monk. His early presence both in terms of counterjungling or ganking is ridiculously massive. He is one of the very few junglers who can win a game in 10 minutes. Your main goal is to get your team fed, win lanes for your mates, then sit back, pull out some stylish insecs or jukes and enjoy the honour rain. Yes, it is easy to fuck up wih him. Yes, he falls off very early into the game. But you can still maintin your usefulness as a tanky-supportish thingy (?!). He is one of the very few champions in the game who scales better off skill than items or levels. Also his kit makes him the best drake / baron stealer (which can turn a game arround pretty hard in solo). In addition he is a really great jungler in terms of sustain and clear-time. Even if you're teammates are scumbags and are not giving you a leash, you're not gonna get that much behind, you just burn through your potions a bit faster, but then again, because of the shield and lifesteal + passive attack speed on skill activation, you're gonna be okay. If you wanna know more on the other hand, I'm not the person to ask as I don't consider myself a great lee player. (Oh yep, one more thing, below plat, if you can hit your q, it's gg.)

Please tell me how you liked my post and if there is a need I'm happy to expand it a with some passive style champions as well or anything you ask for.

Cheers,

LastRights

Top: Renekton, Gragas, Maokai, Alistar

Mid: Riven, Ahri, Xerath, Twisted Fate

Jungle: Jarvan, Pantheon, Elise

ADC: Jinx, Lucian, Cait

Supp: Nami, Sona, Braum, Thresh

all these champs are very good in their lanes right now, and not all to hard to learn, other than Elise

It's all a matter of personal preference and your game style. If you can adapt and respond quickly then a ranged is not only easy but they are OP late game. prefferably an ADC IMO. But these new patches are both nerfing and buffing heroes. Lucian, obviously one of the most nerfed/buffed (according to riot it was a nerf) is currently killing it. Gnar top lane is sooooo badass, I have had some great games with him and he can act as both a tank and fighter. Katarina/Yasuo are a great gank tool, they can come out of nowhere and take out at least 3 enemy players. Deffinitely give these guys a try if you haven't so already.