Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
  • Announcements

• Dowin

=ADK= Discord Link   04/24/2017

Come join us in =ADK= Discord To download the Discord app go here: https://discordapp.com/   Discord is going to have a small learning curve over teamspeak so be prepared, but the fellow members as well as the Admins will gladly help you if you have any issues with installing or using the app. Once you have Discord installed all that's left to do is click the button below.   Welcome to the future of the =ADK= Community.   Click Here To Join! 
Warlocc

Video Card Advice?

I think my GPU is failing. I'm seeing weird colors in BF4 and SWTOR, and Skyrim is outright crashing the whole thing. It's a GTX 570.

Anyone have any suggestions for something new around the 200 dollar mark?

The GTX 760 caught my eye (I like sticking with NVidia in my current system), but I wanted to get opinions first.

Edited by Warlocc

What temps is the card running? Eliminate the fact that it's not overheating first. Do you clean the fan on your current card at all? You can get something as simple as HWMonitor...

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

... to find this out. If the card temp is fine then yes, it could be the GPU starting to fail to which you will need a new gfx card. If you can do a 7 series card then by all means do it providing it has the necessary bit and ram to sustain your gaming needs.

Example: Dont get a 7 series card that is 128bit 1GB ect ect.

Yeah, I checked the temps. It's an EVGA card and I have EVGA Precision to monitor and control it.

Temps are a little high, but not dangerously so. I even ramped up the fan speed because overheating was my first thought (fan is working fine, by the way- I do clean it from time to time). Right now it's sitting at 50 degrees Celsius, at idle. Running games it climbs to 60 or 70, depending on the game.

Edited by Warlocc

Yeah, I checked the temps. It's an EVGA card and I have EVGA Precision to monitor and control it.
Temps are a little high, but not dangerously so. I even ramped up the fan speed because overheating was my first thought (fan is working fine, by the way- I do clean it from time to time). Right now it's sitting at 50 degrees Celsius, at idle. Running games it climbs to 60 or 70, depending on the game.

Yeah that fine. Nothing extreme. Unless you rule out is not new GFX drivers it looks like you are upgrading which is not bad since 5 series cards are kinda dated now.

I'm eyeballing a GTX 760, 256 bit with 2 gigs, and it says it's factory superclocked.

That is the exact card I have in my machine now.  I think I paid 249 for it and it came with a game so it was like a 200 card.  I love it and I can play any game on the highest settings.  Is the card you are looking at have the ACX cooling?  I think they might ahve 2 versions one with and one without.  If you plan to SLI at any time I have read to not get the ACX version since one will blow the hot air on the other.  The ones without ACX blow the air out the back of the card.  Hope this helps.

Yeah, sounds like it's the exact one I'm looking at. Might use this as an excuse to get it, and just scrap the old one.

Sounds like a plan.  Can you get me one so I can SLI?

That is the exact card I have in my machine now. I think I paid 249 for it and it came with a game so it was like a 200 card. I love it and I can play any game on the highest settings. Is the card you are looking at have the ACX cooling? I think they might ahve 2 versions one with and one without. If you plan to SLI at any time I have read to not get the ACX version since one will blow the hot air on the other. The ones without ACX blow the air out the back of the card. Hope this helps.

You can play bf4 maxed out on that card? Guess it's time to update the 7970 Edited by cbrunnem

You can play bf4 maxed out on that card? Guess it's time to update the 7970

Sorry to inform you @[member='cbrunnem'] but it only runs maxed out for Ohio State fans.  Purdue fans have to run on low.  Sorry for your luck!  HAHA.  Yea I run maxed out at 1920x1080.  The frame rate dips at points.  I will check it next time if you want an accurate number.

I've been playing BF4 near maxed out on my 570, so a 760 should definitely be able to do the job.