Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
  • Announcements

• Dowin

=ADK= Discord Link   04/24/2017

Come join us in =ADK= Discord To download the Discord app go here: https://discordapp.com/   Discord is going to have a small learning curve over teamspeak so be prepared, but the fellow members as well as the Admins will gladly help you if you have any issues with installing or using the app. Once you have Discord installed all that's left to do is click the button below.   Welcome to the future of the =ADK= Community.   Click Here To Join! 
Silver

Size Comparison for Star Citizen Ships, with Charts & Graphics!

Ah, but you have figured on this in the absence of the magic of the military procurement system!  :)

I mean its fun to joke about, but I never really had issues getting anything in Iraq. Course I always made the supply guys my friends and knew everyone in the battalion, a few outside of battalion, a couple of Pmc ones, and a few SoF ones, so yeah...when it came to needing something I could usually bargain my way into getting it lol. Now if we're getting into the whole bidding side of it that's a whole nother ballgame but still. 900 years is a long time lol.

Indeed.  

I AM joking about the miniaturization-, of course.  However, since you decided to address the subject semi-seriously, I will say I was not being entirely facetious either.  

I come from extensive exposure to and being part and parcel of said system as these participants (from all sides) were my clients, as were some of my employers.

These days of course, I have only a hobbyist's interest in such things, but my client list would include most major contractors, their jobbers, DOD and the rest of the alphabet soup of other government, military agencies and test facility representatives, watchdogs, watchdog-watchdogs, as well as foreign military buyers, testers, trainees, and visiting researchers.  

As I do not doubt that miniaturization will continue to drive development of a number of technologies (as it has in recent decades), I would not hesitate to suggest this would eventually trickle down to military hardware.  In many current cases of course, it is not military procurement that drives the technology advance, but civilian-based competitive imperatives, and while battlefield environments may not always be conducive to these technology advances, it is likewise true that these developments are occasionally not conducive to the financial well-being of the existing purveyor system at the particular moment that the technology becomes available.  

As a sharp-eyed reader of reports out of the Skunkworks and other test facilities would find, many and strange are the permutations our footsteps go through in the wandering advance down the pathway to 'forward'.  

While I cannot possibly suggest I always understand all the reasons all the time, I can with some firsthand veracity suggest that the 'weltanschauung' one develops is not far from the comment often mistakenly attributed to Bismarck (but probably originating with John Godfrey Saxe, an altogether witty and amusing fellow should you choose to look him up):

"Laws, like sausages, cease to inspire respect in proportion as we know how they are made."    |B)

On terms of having a railgun mounted on ships: Railguns pack a TON of recoil. The tests the navy made had their railgun bolted to the ground with some serious supports. If we fast forward 900 years those guns will pack more than 33MJ of power.

The point I'm getting at is that smaller ships will not be able to have railguns because of the obscene knockback. If you mount it on a kingship however you should be okay. But it's still going to have a noticable impact when you strap on as many of those suckers as you would on a ship of that size.

Anyways. Railguns are awesome but the physics might not agree with having them in game.

Also, HOLY POOP THAT KINGSHIP

Edited by Grescon

Here's another one to feast your eyes on. =)

LTI+Ship+Speeds_1383344374.png

As of right now going off everything the dev's had said this is wrong.The 350r is the fastest stock factory ship on the market, the m50 will be the fastest modded ship.

The 350r is a ferrari and the m50 is a honda civic stock from the factory, waited to be fast and furious'd, basically.

Edited by Dalriaden

As of right now going off everything the dev's had said this is wrong.The 350r is the fastest stock factory ship on the market, the m50 will be the fastest modded ship.

The 350r is a ferrari and the m50 is a honda civic stock from the factory, waited to be fast and furious'd, basically.

When i posted these charts i think they were like 8 months old and the source wasn't RSI so I am not surprised at all that they are not accurate. They were still fun to look at.  |B)

When i posted these charts i think they were like 8 months old and the source wasn't RSI so I am not surprised at all that they are not accurate. They were still fun to look at.  |B)

Indeed :) Just letting people know who may be interested in a "racing" ship. 350r will also have slightly more cargo room I believe so it may be the best bang for the buck for speedy delivery runs, although a modified m50 could also be since once upgraded you could deliver it even faster. still to early to tell though.

The size of these ships amaze me. The amount of detail they put into the smaller ships makes my head explode thinking about these bigger ships. I don't know about eve online, but these ships are detailed inside and out!

"Report to the bridge"  *Proceed to hike a few km.

I hope the bagel carrier has lifts/transports! The interior of the carrier will literally be bigger than some of the landing zones!

I hope the bagel carrier has lifts/transports! 

Indeed.  With that many bagels, where else would you put your coffee??    :lol:

If anyone has a more recent version of these size comparison charts, or any charts for that matter, feel free to post it on here. I haven't been able to locate a current size scale one but i would like to see it. Thanks.

Yeah, but we already have the Navy making a railgun that fires at mach 7:

railgun.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun#U.S._Military_tests

On January 31, 2008 the US Navy tested a railgun that fired a shell at 10.64 MJ with a muzzle velocity of 2,520 m/s (8,270 ft/s).[30] Its expected performance is a muzzle velocity over 5,800 m/s (19,000 ft/s), accurate enough to hit a 5-metre (16 ft) target over 200 nmi (370 km) away while firing at 10 shots per minute.

One would think 900 years in the future the technology would be stronger while getting smaller. :p

I'll install this on my Mech Warrior in the year 3033 A.E.D(After Earths Death)

That's insane... I've bought the 325a for myself and my g/f. Got an Avenger for my old man too.  I can't believe that Kingship is a Kilometer and a half long.  Quick! GET TO THE FORWARD GUNS!!!  *ten minutes later* lol   "FORWARD GUNS READY!"

They use segways.

Star Citizen ships are still a bit small for my friend's taste. He wants to fly a capital ship of a great Enterprise size. So far the Javellin Destroyer comes close, and I told him about the Bengal Carrier and he really liked it, but there aren't that many ships that are in between really. 200-300 meters in length is a "golden" length for a ship in regards to what I think he would like in a capital ship.

Well, the Enterprise is listed as being ~600m long, so you're looking at about half that size there. So he'd probably be looking around an Idris or a Hull C or the like if you are thinking 200-300ish (at least, of the ships we have quasi-specs for; alien ships we don't necessarily know much about at this point).

(And he needs to bear in mind, big ships mean big crew, and it can't all be NPCs :P That'll be my biggest issue with my Jav, getting enough guildies who will fly with me)

I'm certain you won't have a problem for people to man the ship.  Maybe not *all* the time, but I can guarantee there will be enough of us around :)

The issue with the world that Star CItizen ships must inhabit is that large ships will require large crews.  This is particularly the case of combat-capable ships (whereas some economically-oriented 'ships/facilities' may be largely automated and be large but have modest crews).

While to some extent one can 'flesh-out' one's crew, with npcs, we have it on good authority that it may be going to become increasingly prohibitively expensive with size, without a sufficient income or tax base.  Finding large quantities of dedicated and reliable actual players, simultaneously available, that are willing and able to occupy periodically prosaic positions that may not be seeing action, and all of these being available when the large ship is to act and for the entire time frame it is to act (or must), is  a necessary and important limitation on the use of these ships, and their 'economic efficacy'.

While this may not decrease their appeal for the nebulous imaginations we have of ideal gaming situations, the grounding in reality that we demand of the gaming world  for SC is also going to make for the same sorts of practical limitations navy men know there is to the concept of taking a privately-owned Navy Destroyer on a fishing trip, or patrol.  

SC is also going to make for the same sorts of practical limitations navy men know there is to the concept of taking a privately-owned Navy Destroyer on a fishing trip, or patrol.  

You all will man my Javelin when I want to go on a grocery store run and you will LIKE it! :D

Great article, was looking into getting this game too, but wasn't sure what ship to get, this narrowed it down a bit.