Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
PunishaKelv

My First Build

A few things to point out.....

1. What kind of audio setup do you have that warrants a dedicated sound card? The onboard sound on the motherboard of course isn't audiophile grade, but if your speakers aren't high end, you will hear no difference in the audio quality.

2. For the initial amount you are paying for SLI cards ($520), why not get a GTX 780 now then get another one later when the price drops a bit?

3. This is just my personal preference, but I'd rather get memory that takes advantage of dual channel even if the real world performance difference is negligible. instead of getting one 8GB stick, pick 2x 4GB DDR3 sticks. It also gives you a "fail safe" option in case one of the sticks die, you still have a working computer.

4. If you do heed my recommendation about bumping up your graphics card to a GTX780, if you do have plans on doing an SLI down the road, you may just want to increase that power supply slightly more to around 800~850w to be on the safe side.

Edited by IIGodHanzoII

A few things to point out.....

1. What kind of audio setup do you have that warrants a dedicated sound card? The onboard sound on the motherboard of course isn't audiophile grade, but if your speakers aren't high end, you will hear no difference in the audio quality.

2. For the initial amount you are paying for SLI cards ($520), why not get a GTX 780 now then get another one later when the price drops a bit?

3. This is just my personal preference, but I'd rather get memory that takes advantage of dual channel even if the real world performance difference is negligible. instead of getting one 8GB stick, pick 2x 4GB DDR3 sticks. It also gives you a "fail safe" option in case one of the sticks die, you still have a working computer.

4. If you do heed my recommendation about bumping up your graphics card to a GTX780, if you do have plans on doing an SLI down the road, you may just want to increase that power supply slightly more to around 800~850w to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the feedback.

I took out the sound card and will stick with the motherboard sound for the time being. Think i will change that up if it does not have the sound quality i would like.

I did not think of the memory to much, but that was a great point you brought up. Swapped out the single 8gb stick for 2 x 4GB  DDR3-1600 sticks

The GPU has been changed for a GTX 780 and i also added 850w for any future upgrades.

I plan on having this build complete before winter and getting it during black Friday so ANY feedback is greatly appreciated.

The build plan looks good already. 

Just a few things brand-wise. I'd pick a Seasonic, Corsair or Antec for your power supply. I'm not sure if you plan to overclock your setup or not, but I'd pick quality parts myself and spending a few extra dollars on them may be well worth it.

This is well on it's way to being a med-high end build, so I wouldn't skimp on a power supply. Folks here might disagree with me but I tend to pick on brands that I had good success on.

One last thing, I hope you aren't getting a 64GB SSD on your gaming rig. Win7 OS already takes about 10GB worth of space. Black friday SSD sales (heck, even before black friday), SSDs go a sale close to $0.50/GB. I've seen 240GB SSDs go on sale for about $100~$120 on a normal basis. Games start taking space on your hard disk pretty darn fast and it is a hassle to remove and reinstall games if your interest fades in and out and you're out of hard drive space.

The build plan looks good already. 

Just a few things brand-wise. I'd pick a Seasonic, Corsair or Antec for your power supply. I'm not sure if you plan to overclock your setup or not, but I'd pick quality parts myself and spending a few extra dollars on them may be well worth it.

This is well on it's way to being a med-high end build, so I wouldn't skimp on a power supply. Folks here might disagree with me but I tend to pick on brands that I had good success on.

One last thing, I hope you aren't getting a 64GB SSD on your gaming rig. Win7 OS already takes about 10GB worth of space. Black friday SSD sales (heck, even before black friday), SSDs go a sale close to $0.50/GB. I've seen 240GB SSDs go on sale for about $100~$120 on a normal basis. Games start taking space on your hard disk pretty darn fast and it is a hassle to remove and reinstall games if your interest fades in and out and you're out of hard drive space.

Yea i was looking into some well known power supply companies but decided against it due to price. I have added a corsair 850w since i do not want any issues to come up with my first build.

As for the SSD, i do not think i will stick with 240GB, i have added it to my parts list. I will have to think about that one because i only have 3 games installed on my pc at any given time. But if the price is right when i decide to get all the parts than i do not see why not.

The build is up by about $400 but am sure i will be able to catch some good sales on Black Friday.

Once again thanks for the feed back, i have been wondering about the CPU. It is a good enough CPU for the build or should i try to look at something a bit faster?

your CPU is plenty enough, you can overclock it if you want it to be faster, the only thing that will gain any significant performance from it are increased number of cores, but that means twice more cost out of your pocket, and that depends on the game if it is designed to take advantage of the multiple cores.

Exactly why am waiting for black Friday,

hopefully it will be under $1500

It can be quite tricky to predict what will be on sale on black friday to be honest.

I was planning on upgrading my graphics cards last year but they didn't have any sales that interested me. You might get lucky though. Another option is to look at bundles which give you a bit more discount since you are building everything from the ground up.

If you are going to buy this on black Friday it is way to early to start parting something together. There will be different parts out by then and different prices as well. Couple that with changing parts to match what sales are going on your build afterwards will not looking similar to what it is now.

Don't get ahead of yourself. I'd recommend frequenting forums that have lots of questions like this and learn why they are using what with what. Learn all of that between now and black Friday and you will be able to make fast good decisions when when sales come up. Knowledge is power.

It can be quite tricky to predict what will be on sale on black friday to be honest.

I was planning on upgrading my graphics cards last year but they didn't have any sales that interested me. You might get lucky though. Another option is to look at bundles which give you a bit more discount since you are building everything from the ground up.

Yea i have been buying stuff during black Friday for the past 3 years now. I will have black Friday and Cyber Monday and including other individual sales that continue throughout the week (such as tiger direct has sales for that entire week).

The combos should change up so i will continue to edit the parts depending on the bundles.

If you are going to buy this on black Friday it is way to early to start parting something together. There will be different parts out by then and different prices as well. Couple that with changing parts to match what sales are going on your build afterwards will not looking similar to what it is now.

Don't get ahead of yourself. I'd recommend frequenting forums that have lots of questions like this and learn why they are using what with what. Learn all of that between now and black Friday and you will be able to make fast good decisions when when sales come up. Knowledge is power.

I know i am quite a long way before i plan to purchase the parts but that is exactly why i decided to start looking through stuff now.

The initial parts where all put together through my own research based on forum post and Google searches.

This is in no way a final build, i plan on changing it continuously but i also prefer to see the process on the build when it comes to price and parts.

The feed back is helping me understand certain things i missed while putting the list together. I am still looking through hardware information to better understand each part.

@[member='PunishaKelv']

not all memory plays well with motherboards either...even if rec by the mb manufacturer...I had an asus amd 939 board that loved to eat corsair memory...and corsair was the rec memory...when I build a computer, I try to look for the best bang for the buck...if you want to OC and want the extra bells and whistles, get a good mb...lots of memory...if you get a good motherboard you can always swap out parts to better your rig...that 939 build lasted me 5 years plus...when proc prices dropped I got me a faster processor...when video cards dropped I upgraded the video card...it's great if you can afford it and buy the best of everything but you know with electronics, it's old the day it comes out...shit, I have an asus 939 barebone system I built that still runs...I have a 9 year old and it's older than him...it has a NVidia gt 7600, 2 gigs of memory, opteron 185 and it will play supreme commander...obviously not on high, and have to limit the units some but no stutter...so it all depends on parts playing nice together...that's what I've learned from building my own...

A motherboard it arguable the most important aspect to any build. Price wise one of the least expensive considering. When picking out a mobo keep in mind your plans for the future and what options you require to achieve that.

Many top boards advertise overclocking and beautiful layouts that 90% of people don't need, add a gaming aspect and the price goes up too. I narrow out my features that I need/want like Bluetooth, USB v3, dual hard drive chips (like Intel and Marvel on the same board) and dual bios.

After that I narrow it down etc etc.

A single GPU is always the way to go if possible with making sure you have sli room for later but you need to make sure the pci slots are x16 and at least two of them will run in x16 with sli. Be surprised how many budget boards will turn to x8 with dual GPU's and people don't pay attention and then your SLI rig is almost worthless.

Brand loyalty is huge among us geeks so keep that in mind but fact is there are only so many factories making the equipment for many of the brands. They do make it to the companies specs which do make them different. LCD's are made in 3 factories for the world right now all over seas.

My point is the budget brands are either unsold higher end items or last years higher end items GENERALLY. Just like your local auto parts store carries their brand of oil, but you really think they make the oil? No it is re-branded over stock from the big oil companies and sell it at a discount to whom ever wants to re-brand it. 

With all that said all your components must work well together and thought out very carefully. Just because they "work" doesn't mean they will work well together.

A single GPU is always the way to go if possible with making sure you have sli room for later but you need to make sure the pci slots are x16 and at least two of them will run in x16 with sli. Be surprised how many budget boards will turn to x8 with dual GPU's and people don't pay attention and then your SLI rig is almost worthless.

I'd like to pick your brain a bit with this quote based on these performance tests: 

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-PCI-E-Speed-on-Gaming-Performance-518/

PCI-E 3.0 & PCI-E 2.0 (both X16 and X8, including SLI'ed) have very little performance gains. so even if you run at an x16 SLI as opposed to x8, the worst is a 3% performance hit, which in my opinion falls well within tolerance.

of course, the tests are done in 1080p. That might be a contributing factor

Edited by IIGodHanzoII

I have an Asus board with both SLI & Crossfire but have yet to be able to try either due to finances. Thanks for the info though.

@[member='IIGodHanzoII']

Nice questions, that's how we all learn stuff!!!

The mobo you pick should be able to last longer than any other component, generally a mobo upgrade is because of cpu sockets being changed. Usually you want the biggest bang for your $$ so ensuring future capability is a must. Price wise there is generally minimal price premium, same as @[member='Grampa'] I run ASUS and that is pretty standard for them until you get in to tri sli/crossfire . The purpose of the external bridge in SLI is do to data flow and data issues across the PCI bridge. Matter of fact I do believe Crossfire doesn't require it anymore.

In any case more later

@[member='Bromance']

No problem dude, that link actually helped me make my decision on whether I should buy a new cpu/mobo because of the higher number of PCI-E lanes availabe before buying a new set of graphics cards as a major upgrade to my current gaming system. I decided to stick with 1155 and use the x8 / x8 SLI. Now my only concern is if I will have a CPU bottleneck with an I7-2600k and the 780ti classified in SLI

@[member='IIGodHanzoII']

Depends on the game really. BF is hard on CPU's and uses 70% of my hex-core I7, where other games it doesn't use half that then add in whether the game can use all the cores to begin with. Many games are using only dual core.

Thanks for all the feed back guys, it is helping me understand each component.

I have been looking at the mother board and the parts within a mother board.

The motherboard on my build is a MSI Z87-GD65.

I have noticed that a motherboard is only compatible with certain types of processors. The motherboard i have on my build has a CPU socket marked LGA1150

and is indeed compatible with the CPU.

I looked at memory slot and memory type. Both very important components that determine the type of RAM (and how many) the motherboard can hold.

I currently have a DDR3-1600 on my build but i am thinking of swapping it for a DDR3-1866 or 2200. Am i correct in saying that a DDR3-1866 or 2200 would have a faster loading speed compared to a DDR3-1600?

Made sure that it has SLI support in-case i want to add a second video card. Also made sure that the motherboard has PCI ports so it could hold an extra GPU.

The built in audio seems good but i think i will add a sound card. As much as i would like to think that the motherboard audio will be enough for my satisfaction, i doubt it will.

It also allows for the overclocking of the cpu, which is something that i will look into.

It does not seem to have wifi or Bluetooth capability but having my laptop i have learned to stay away from those things.

So while reading some articles i have noticed that some people prefer Asus or Gigabyte as a motherboard brand. I have not been able to figure out why it would stand out above MSI. I personally think that the motherboard i have on my build would be better than any of the other Asus or Gigabyte options.

I love the features that the MSI Z87-GD65 has and think i will keep it in my build. Did i make any mistake while breaking down the components within a motherboard or miss anything?

Current build http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Punisha/saved/

Motherboard Info http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z87GD65_GAMING.html#overview

Edited by PunishaKelv

@[member='PunishaKelv']

A slightly better RAM memory might mean a slightly better CPU throughput. The loading speed (if you mean by loading the game) is still determined by the slowest component on your system, which is the hard drive. If you switch from SSD to a mechanical drive and back, you will easily see a performance difference without doing synthetic tests.

befor i built my first computer and this is what im on now, i learned that most people have a problem finding the bottle neck. i learned that alot of bottle necks are at the connection ports.  get a motherboard with sata 6 gb/s

befor i built my first computer and this is what im on now, i learned that most people have a problem finding the bottle neck. i learned that alot of bottle necks are at the connection ports.  get a motherboard with sata 6 gb/s

Yea the motherboard i currently have on the build has Sata 6gb/s and all of the components (in my opinion) seem like they will work well together.

If am wrong, please point it out. As always further suggestions are welcome.

Also thanks for all the comments guys, am not as lost about all this stuff as i was.

@[member='PunishaKelv']

when did you say you were going to build your computer?...I thought it was near Christmas...everything you pick now will be "old" if you wait until then...I wouldn't get set on a motherboard now...I would wait until you get close to having the money, then look for the motherboard that offers you the best bang for the buck...one that will support the cpu you want and future expansion...and with most onboard audio, you will honestly just waste money getting a sound card...if you read any computer forums, most audio cards cause problems because their drivers don't always play nice with new games and other drivers...unless you are just an audio freak and need the dedicated sound card, I would skip the expense and put that money towards your video card or something else...if you get a good motherboard, you can always upgrade parts (video, mem, hdd) and your rig will last you a good 5 years...just my 2 cents...and with obamanomics, he just took those and gave them to someone who doesn't need them...

@[member='PunishaKelv']

when did you say you were going to build your computer?...I thought it was near Christmas...everything you pick now will be "old" if you wait until then...I wouldn't get set on a motherboard now...I would wait until you get close to having the money, then look for the motherboard that offers you the best bang for the buck...one that will support the cpu you want and future expansion...and with most onboard audio, you will honestly just waste money getting a sound card...if you read any computer forums, most audio cards cause problems because their drivers don't always play nice with new games and other drivers...unless you are just an audio freak and need the dedicated sound card, I would skip the expense and put that money towards your video card or something else...if you get a good motherboard, you can always upgrade parts (video, mem, hdd) and your rig will last you a good 5 years...just my 2 cents...and with obamanomics, he just took those and gave them to someone who doesn't need them...

Yea i was thinking about that. I will continue to look at the market for each component and see which ones i could change before i decide to make the purchase/

I have been told that it is too early to start this build, but i like to get stuff done earlier than later (even if it is by a couple of months). I do have the money to build the build right now, but i could save a lot more if i wait for Black Friday. I rather not throw $2,000 into a build if i could just wait for the sales.

I do like the motherboard i have on the build right now, but yea i will be looking into more newer components as they are released.

Thanks for the feedback.

I would suggest getting the i7 4770k rather than the i5 4670k.

The i7 4770k is definitely faster than the i5 4670k, but i am not sure if i should make the switch. The i5 4670k is still a very good mid to high level gaming CPU.

With the GTX 980 and GTX 970 in the market i have been thinking about switching up my current GPU, the GTX 780, for a GTX 980 or GTX 970.

The GTX 970 would lower the price since it currently ranges from $300-$400.

Looking to get this build ordered by Black friday or Cyber Monday, which ever has the better deals.

Any more feedback would be greatly appreciated and taken into consideration.

current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Punisha/saved/rXmLrH

Edited by PunishaKelv