Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
DWhite240

external graphics cards

do you think its worth it to buy an external graphics card in order to play eso, because, i loved skyrim for the ps3, and, using my specs, with and external graphics card, i wasnt sure if i would be able to play eso.

@[member='DWhite240']

According to your profile specs you have an HP laptop. Which case you're screwed on upgrading your graphics card. One of the HUGE drawbacks to a laptop is being limited to your vendor and software limitations they hold on it along with almost no upgradability.

@[member=DWhite240]

According to your profile specs you have an HP laptop. Which case you're screwed on upgrading your graphics card. One of the HUGE drawbacks to a laptop is being limited to your vendor and software limitations they hold on it along with almost no upgradability.

@[member='DWhite240']

So based off of a previous post of your's, http://www.adkgamers.com/topic/52390-are-my-specs-good-enough/?p=207868, you mention that you want to play Battlefield 4 and/or ESO. This will not be possible with your current laptop. So the question is on whether or not do you want to and/or have the budget for a new PC. 

The cheapest build that you can do right now would be about $500 for a desktop, and at least double that for a laptop. Based off of this, http://toptengamer.hubpages.com/hub/Best-500-Gaming-Computer-Build, guide. 

@[member='DWhite240']

alright, i was thinking, if i have enough bandwidth in my usb outlet, maybe i can get a usb graphics card

A USB 3.0 port has 5GBit/s bandwith while a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot has 16GBytes/s(128Gbit/s) bandwith, and PCIe 3.0 is double that. So a USB port wouldn't have enough bandwith even if they did make actual graphics cards that plugged in via USB.

so ya, i didnt have a specific one in mind, just that i wanted to know if it was worth looking for a usb accessible external graphics card

Sorry but I am pretty sure you are out of luck as I haven't seen any USB graphics cards, other than the ones that allow you to hook up more monitors which isn't even really a GPU.

@[member='Bromance'] may want to add to this.

The lag and communication across USB makes that impossible to implement properly. Sound cards that run off USB have lag issues when paired with gaming.

Bottom line.
New laptop
New PC

Only two options.

there are hacks to this using an expresscard slot which some laptops have but for the time and money you could build a low end desktop that would do just as good.  for the hack you need a few adapters, a power supply, and a graphics card.

Yeah I think for now it's better just to shell out the money for another setup. Sucks that we still don't have a practical solution...hoping this won't be a problem in the near future as it's ridiculous that the laptop manufacturers are still screwing us with this restriction

Yeah I think for now it's better just to shell out the money for another setup. Sucks that we still don't have a practical solution...hoping this won't be a problem in the near future as it's ridiculous that the laptop manufacturers are still screwing us with this restriction

It isn't really about being screwed with restrictions. You gotta remember that one aspect of laptops are portability. With that in mind, they have to compromise a possible design that has the power for whatever the purpose it suits, portable so you can carry it wherever, while minimizing or managing heat and weight.

Laptops have certain standards on features if they want to be competitive (like USB ports, HDMI ports, etc.) but the actual board layout could be proprietary design and manufactured by that company or an exclusive custom board by an affiliate company. With that in mind, if they figure out some type of solution to remove this restriction, then how would they deal with the shell of the laptop? That's another standard they have to abide. Again too much work and this can equate to higher manufacturing cost.