Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
  • Announcements

• Dowin

=ADK= Discord Link   04/24/2017

Come join us in =ADK= Discord To download the Discord app go here: https://discordapp.com/   Discord is going to have a small learning curve over teamspeak so be prepared, but the fellow members as well as the Admins will gladly help you if you have any issues with installing or using the app. Once you have Discord installed all that's left to do is click the button below.   Welcome to the future of the =ADK= Community.   Click Here To Join! 
XAD

The Baking Thread

So... any bakers out there?

I do tend to bake in my spare time, for the sake of offering treats to my girls and for my own personal pleasure.

One of the first sweets I've baked, was the French "Quatre-Quart", literally four-quarters, also known as pound cake. It's a cake typical from the French britany region.

The recipe is fairly simple:

1. Get 4 eggs and weigh them (usually about 60 grams per egg)

2. Weigh the same in sugar, flour and butter, each separately

3. Get some baking powder, some vanilla extract, and possibly some rum

4. Mix the eggs and the sugar in a bowl, while slowly melting the butter on the oven

5. When the eggs and sugar are well mixed and sticky, pour in the flour and 1.5 table spoons of baking powder (bicarbonate sodium) and keep mixing until it is homogenous

6. Pour in the melted butter and keep stirring; the dough will liquify and become easier to mix

7. Add some vanilla extract and about one glass rum in the bowl

8. Pour everything in an oiled or buttered mold, and place in the oven at 180°C / 375°F for 40 minutes

9. The cake is done when the crust breaks on top, and when a toothpick can be inserted and removed without any inner material sticking to it.

I love cooking but struggle with baking, to the point that I just don't bother any more.   I tried to make a pizza base not long ago, it was a real mess, I gave up and bought the bases in the end.

I love cooking but struggle with baking, to the point that I just don't bother any more.   I tried to make a pizza base not long ago, it was a real mess, I gave up and bought the bases in the end.

well...

500 grams flour

17 grams of yeast, or 1.5 table spoon dry yeast

2.5 dl of temperate water

0.5 dl of olive oil

1. Delay the yeast in the water for about 5 minutes

2. Pour the flour in a large bowl and create a crater in the center

3. Pour the water-yeast mix, and the olive oil, and start hand mixing it

If too sticky, add some flour

If too dry, add some water

4. form a ball of dough

5. let raise for 2 hours in the bowl covered with a wet linen to prevent air from exiting, and place in a temperate area to activate the yeast. The dough should double in size

6. pour some flour on your table or kitchen counter, cover your rolling-pin with some as well

7. use your hand to flatten the dough in a disc shape

8. use the pin to spread it evenly and to the size of your mold or pizza stone

There you go!

It's not overtly complex, it just takes some time.

Also, you can pre-cook the dough with a layer of tomato paste for about 10 minutes in the oven at 220°C / 425°F then freeze them for a later use.

Edited by XAD