Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
  • Announcements

• Dowin

=ADK= Discord Link   04/24/2017

Come join us in =ADK= Discord To download the Discord app go here: https://discordapp.com/   Discord is going to have a small learning curve over teamspeak so be prepared, but the fellow members as well as the Admins will gladly help you if you have any issues with installing or using the app. Once you have Discord installed all that's left to do is click the button below.   Welcome to the future of the =ADK= Community.   Click Here To Join! 
Sign in to follow this  
desdiinova

2 Monitors -- Bad for a Small Room D:

As hot as it is outside, I've got an air conditioner in my window running constantly. Up until a few hours ago I've been running 2 monitors, but the combined heat of my GPU (runs ~10°C hotter with 2 monitors) and 2 large displays pumping out heat, my room has still been on fire D:

Suppose that heat wins over nerdiness today...

[quote name='jizackson' timestamp='1311204515' post='10152']
get one of those stand up fans and it'll be like winter!
[/quote]

Actually my setup is pretty ridiculous right now lol. My room is tiny, there's my bed, mini fridge, and computer desk, that's literally all I can fit (plus a little bit of room to walk between the stuff) and then there's an attached bathroom that's a bit larger, sadly. Anyways, the air conditioner won't reach an outlet from the only window in my room so I have to have it in the bathroom, and then I've got a fan set up blowing the air from the air conditioner into my room (sittin in the doorway).

[quote name='Gamer Radar' timestamp='1311206228' post='10155']
Lets see it!
[/quote]

Agreed, And I know the feeling man. My computer puts out crazy heat, enough to make me turn up the ac and open my door and turn on the fan till it finally cools down.

[quote name='Gamer Radar' timestamp='1311206228' post='10155']
Lets see it!
[/quote]

Alright give me just a sec, it's gonna have to be multiple pics because the AC is around a corner... kinda... you'll see :P

K here goes, 5 pics...

1: Where the air conditioner's at (the toilet doesn't work right now and the bathroom's a mess so I tried to catch as little of it as I could... remodeling that room right now)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/830/29309401.jpg/

2: Where the fan is in relation to the air conditioner (kept a bit of the toilet in the shot so you could do the math)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/221/12255566.jpg/

3: How the fan is situated in the doorway, going into my room
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/217/53835672.jpg/

4: And here... the mess...
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/22632604.jpg/
I'll try and identify everything... firstly, the clothes basket, just got the majority of my laundry done... uhh just to the right of that, the little brown blob with the toilet paper on top of it (I honestly have NO clue why the hell that's there) is my fridge, right now it has... mountain dew, jelly, and mayo xD... a bit more to the right of that is a tiny little book case that fits just between my bed and the wall... it doesn't have any books, right now it has clothes, a paper plate I had brownies on, mt dew cans, a few empty beer bottles, and my WoW game cases lol... very bottom is my bed and you can see my pillow and blanket... haven't bothered putting my sheets back on yet... I'm standing in the very corner of my room though. And to the left of the picture is, as you can tell, my computer desk

5: Just my computer setup right now :P second monitor is currently off, because of the reasons stated previously :P aside from that, my case is on the bottom left of my desk (not inside of anything, just sitting next to the desk)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/83911231.jpg/

I've gotta big room with 2 monitors, and my laptop which is on almost as much as my PC and it gets freaking HOT in here. The reason is because I leave my door closed most of the time because my dogs will come to try to find anything that looks like it would be fun to take out of my room as a toy. And I have plenty of gadgets around here.

And I have 2 fans going almost all the time. The fan under my laptop is on 24/7 and my other fan is on when I'm home. I've gone through about 4 different fans underneath my laptop because I keep it on 24/7, unless I have my laptop with me somewhere.

[quote name='AOBLXIX' timestamp='1311227177' post='10163']
I've gotta big room with 2 monitors, and my laptop which is on almost as much as my PC and it gets freaking HOT in here. The reason is because I leave my door closed most of the time because my dogs will come to try to find anything that looks like it would be fun to take out of my room as a toy. And I have plenty of gadgets around here.

And I have 2 fans going almost all the time. The fan under my laptop is on 24/7 and my other fan is on when I'm home. I've gone through about 4 different fans underneath my laptop because I keep it on 24/7, unless I have my laptop with me somewhere.
[/quote]

My door is always shut as well, the rest of the upstairs in my house is about 10x hotter than my room. But the only dog I have stays downstairs :3 But why so hardcore about the laptop fan lol

[quote name='AOBLXIX' timestamp='1311232654' post='10165']
Because it gets hot, especially when I run my music notation program which I have been doing a lot lately or running Final Cut Pro.
[/quote]

I assume laptops have bad cooling? Since they have, what... 2-3 small vents? I don't blame ya then :3

I suggest an extension cord or a power bar so you can move your air conditioning unit into the mail room. Having it in your bathroom and using a fan seems...inefficient. You're using more power and creating more heat by having a second motor run. Monitors shouldnt emit that much heat, the unit that probably emits the most heat in your room is your mini fridge. the compressors in those run really hot.

In the summer IE now i run the AC when i need too but otherwise my room stays pretty stable and cool if i have the window open and my door open for circulation.

I currently run 5 monitors 2 laptops, a projector, 5 computers and an receiver/amplifier for my sound system. Its all about air circulation.

Ditch the minifridge if you can. It'll drop temps alot.

If you're stuck on keeping everything i suggest dropping the fan and buying a power bar. They're like 20 dollars and come with a 6 foot cord. Move the AC to your bedroom so you have direct environment cooling.

[quote name='desdiinova' timestamp='1311205337' post='10153']
the air conditioner won't reach an outlet from the only window in my room so I have to have it in the bathroom
[/quote]

[quote name='KiTsuNe' timestamp='1311238575' post='10167']
extension cord
[/quote]

this

Well I actually have 2 extension cords and 2 power bars in my room... one extension cord for my router (it's in the hallway because my 50ft cord stopped just short of my room) and the other wraps halfway around my room for my phone charger because my batter is a P.O.S. As for the power bars, one runs my fridge, alarm clock, and when friends come over, their laptops, while the other is running all my computer stuff... I had the air conditioner sitting on my bed just yesterday actually, about to put it in my window, then my mom started bitching that if I plugged it into an extension cord or power bar that it'd catch on fire so I just put it back in the bathroom ;)

[quote name='KiTsuNe' timestamp='1311303096' post='10217']
I feel like i should come over to rewire your set up :| sounds super inefficient lol.
[/quote]

Yeah, it really could do with some improvement lol. I've been over at my friend's house all night, and my GPU has been running about 10 degrees cooler overall, which is pretty saddening.

what you need are some of these. I have 3 of those powering everything in my room.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101076

I received them when i was in charge of removing the networking and phone equipment of a few borders bookstores . They were going to just junk all their servers and ups systems so i ended up with about 12 of the UPS and 2 of their rack mount servers haha.

Should get a real power bar if an ups system is out of your budget. They have ones with 12 outlets. 2 of those should power EVERYTHING as long as you have enough amps going into your room. AC + mini fridge on same one might trip the breaker or power bar though. Might have to run an extension cord from your bathroom lol but i find it hard to believe that you only have 2 outlets. Why is your router in the hallway again? Is your network cable too short?

Yeah, I have 2 power bars plugged into one of my outlets, and one of them has my computer, monitor, speakers, and other monitor hooked up... the other one has my fridge, extension cord (which leads just to my phone chrager), and, whenever friends come over, 2 laptops. Also, almost forgot, the power strip with my computer, I have another friend that comes over quite often and he plugs his computer into that as well. And then on the other outlet I've just got my AC and the extension cord to the router. And yes, the ethernet cable is too short, even though it's 50 ft :\ Had to go up a stair case, through a small room, and down a fairly long hallway.

make the measurement i have over 8000ft of bulk cat 5e and cat6 cable sitting in my closet. I'll make you a cable and mail it. Thats just bad lol. Just pay me like 15 bucks and keep it under 350 feet. Thats when signal on cat5e starts to die out over a single cable.

Well a small bit of the problem here is I don't currently have any money :P

But thanks a bunch for the thought :3 why do you have so much cable though lol Edited by desdiinova

Use to be a low voltage field service tech. I setup wiring and networks in walmarts, costcos, kregan/o'reily autoparts, ann taylor/loft, private companies and other locations.

I have alot of left over low voltage cables from it such as cat3 (voice) cat5e cat6 coax fiber optics and others as well. I also have rj45 connects rj11 rg6 and a bunch of other stuff lol.

heres a shot from one of my sites.

[img]http://i51.tinypic.com/15oypo2.jpg[/img]

I have to agree with you guys on the heat deal. The heat builds up quick especially during gaming or just having the computer on with the door closed. Even then you have to have the door open because the windows by itself doesnt help. I have two monitors as well but I disable the secondary when im not using it to keep the temp down on my card and heat off the monitor. Not to mention save power overall.

Just got home from being at a friend's for 2 days... I left my fan on, hoping it'd keep the cold air circulating but my room was like a sauna when I walked in :\ popped both the AC and fan on high and hopped in the shower and it wasn't too bad after that, though. Tomorrow I plan on cleaning out my bathroom (full of random junk like my computer part boxes + renovating supplies) and putting my fridge somewhere in there, so at least it won't be my room that's so hot... but I would leave my door open, but the rest of the upstairs in my house is just as hot as my room was when I got home so it wouldn't really help :\ also, there's only 2 windows in my bathroom, one for the AC and the other is painted shut (brilliant, I know), and the one in my room has my make-shift curtain over it which I hate moving so that's just laziness not opening that one.

Industrial power strip! they're 6 feet long with about 12 plugs. If you place one on each side of your room you should be able to power everything. Including an AC in your room.