Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
desdiinova

New Computer Again Maybe? :3

My current computer is literally only about a month and a half old, but I'm thinking about buying a newer one once I get my new job. I'll be making almost 3 times the money I had at my old job, so my budget range will be quite a bit larger.

What I currently have:

Acer 23" LCD Monitor 1920x1080
Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 RAM
Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge @ 3.7GHz (overclocked a touch, what do you expect with a sandy bridge xD)
CORSAIR Builder Series 600W PSU
MSI P67A-C43
Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower
GIGABYTE GTX 550 Ti

It's quite a budget build IMO and it runs all of my games fine, except, it seems, Crysis 2. Which doesn't make any sense because when I first got Crysis 2 and my computer (bout the same time) I could run it on maxed settings at 1680x1050 without a problem. For some reason, though, now I run at 1920x1080 on my new monitor, and it hiccups even on the lowest settings. Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyways, on to the point: What I'm looking to get.

Keeping the monitor (may think about getting a second in the future, I can cope with my 23"/22" for now.
Case: Sentey Arvina Extreme Division Tower Case (got a full sized, nice looking case this time because I'm hoping to get into some water cooling)
Mobo: ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.0)
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k Sandy Bridge @ 3.3GHz
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3
GPU: GIGABYTE Super OC Series GTX 560 Ti (this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125369)
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply

The GPU I'm kind of questioning because I'd prefer it to be NVIDIA for sure, and I'm wanting a higher end video card this time around, but the price jump from 560 to 570 to 580 is just massive... I mean, I could definitely afford more at this new job but it'd just take like a week longer for the next step up. So tell me what you guys think. If there's any part conflicts i.e. something not being compatible, just say so because I'm not necessarily that great at hardware knowledge at this point, everything I know right now is self-taught by browsing newegg :3

But yeah, in all honesty this is [i]kinda[/i] a budget build too. I was looking at individual pricing the whole time and it only brought this build up to $1,100 so if you guys have an upgrade you think I'd like then feel free to pitch it, there could be a bit of upgrading at this point (maybe to $1,500). Edited by desdiinova

Dude you have a nice build already add a second GTX 560 and sli it. also add an ssd as your primary drive. OCZ vertex III drives are extremely fast and reliable. I am running an 80 gig vertex II and I love it. as for crysis your not gonna run it on max anymore they put out an extreme update and almost no one can run max settings anymore. it makes crysis warhead look stupid now and it used to be the game everyone tried to run on high and couldn't. also since you will be using 2 vid cards you will be putting off extreme ammounts of heat
I would reccomend a full sized tower. the HAF932 is 1 of the best on the market. I use it and love it. add these 3 things to your build and I guarentee you will be very happy with it for a while and there won't be very many games that you can't run on high.

[quote name='jeremy28092' timestamp='1310133357' post='9565']
Dude you have a nice build already add a second GTX 560 and sli it. also add an ssd as your primary drive. OCZ vertex III drives are extremely fast and reliable. I am running an 80 gig vertex II and I love it. as for crysis your not gonna run it on max anymore they put out an extreme update and almost no one can run max settings anymore. it makes crysis warhead look stupid now and it used to be the game everyone tried to run on high and couldn't. also since you will be using 2 vid cards you will be putting off extreme ammounts of heat
I would reccomend a full sized tower. the HAF932 is 1 of the best on the market. I use it and love it. add these 3 things to your build and I guarentee you will be very happy with it for a while and there won't be very many games that you can't run on high.
[/quote]

You said to add a GTX 560 and sli it, but can you really run two different cards on sli? I think you mighta misread what I have on my current build :3 And I know about the update, I've downloaded all the stuff, but they didn't change regular old "Extreme" settings at all, they just added "Ultra" and "High Res Textures", all I've done is kept it on Extreme, turned high res textures off, and turned DX11 on, but still it runs horrible in comparison to how it used to do.

Scratch what I said about the video card in the first post. Change it to this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604

I read a couple reviews on the other one and people were complaining about the factory overclock actually being [i]too[/i] high, and it would cause frequent crashes and overheating etc. So this one's $20 cheaper and only has slightly lower specs.

Sorry that I keep adding posts which is essentially bumping it, but it won't let me just edit my first post for some reason :\

Anyways... pretty sure I forgot to mention it in the OP so there's also 2 x 1TB WD HDDs at 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s yada yada... also added an OCZ Vertex II 60GB SSD and the price for the whole setup is up to $1,244.89 now.

Question about the SSD though that I've been wondering about SSDs ever since I started to look into them: it says it's a SATA II SSD but my motherboard doesn't have any slots labeled "SATA II", only SATA 6.0Gb/s and 3.0Gb/s... so does SATA II just work with 6.0Gb/s or what? I'd rather not get it if it didn't work with it.

sata II is 3.0GB/s sata III is 6.0GB/s but you can mix and match them if you have a sata III drive then you can put it on a sata II connection but it will only run at sata II speeds and vice versa

and sorry I did missread your post you have a 550 so just add another and sli what you have but if you sli it is very important that you get a fullsized case for the airflow I can't stress that enough

also I would raid 1 those 1TB drives for redundancy so if 1 fails you always have a backup. or you could raid 0 if you don't care about redundancy and have a 2TB drive that is way faster

as for crysis 2 turn off direct x 11 and watch what happens :D Edited by jeremy28092

I always thought DX11 helped with that kind of stuff though? And if I could find someone to buy my current off me for like half off (bought $700 new, maybe like $350 since it's not even 2 months old) then my new one would only really cost $900 so I think it'd be [i]kinda[/i] good... but if I can't find a buyer, then yeah, I'll definitely just SLI and get a bigger case. I looked into the one you mentioned and added it to the wishlist I've got going on newegg for my potential new one, so I suppose I'll be buying that regardless. Hell I might even just buy another 500GB HDD and take the one I currently use out of this one so I don't lose all my stuff... or at least transfer or something.

But in all of the years I've had a computer, I've never really had a hard drive fail, what are the odds of that happening? I'd prefer to get the 2TB total because I plan on getting into some designing/coding/video editing etc. and the storage space would be very nice because FRAPs... well... is FRAPs. Then again, on the other hand, if one of them DID happen to go poof, then I'd lose all that work... I guess I'll just see what everyone's opinion on this is.

If you really want both size and redundancy it is a little costly but you can buy 2 more 1 tb drives and raid 10 them that is raid 1 + 0 meaning 1 drive dies you have it all backed up and you still get the massive performance boost of raid 0

you have to remember crysis 2 was a console port so running max graphics was very easy but they did a massive update to the direct x 11 part of it so people with top of the line $800 cards have a hard time running it now on high. the amd hd 6990 is arguably the best card on the market and it had a hard time running it on ultra settings after the update Edited by jeremy28092

Ehh, that'd be another $180 to be spending. Considering my luck with harddrives in the past I don't think I'll need the other 2 :3 I suppose at this point it's just a waiting game to see how money goes with this new job. I still gotta be renting a house and getting a car first D:

But anyways... if it comes to it, would 550 Ti sli really be that good in comparison to the other rig in general? Wait hang on (tabs out)

I remembered right... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130571 << my current mobo

Only one PCI E 2.0 slot so I wouldn't be able to get another card at all with this board :\

Looks like I better start looking for a buyer xD Edited by desdiinova

I would put your card on ebay and craigs list to sell it between the 2 you should find a buyer np just make sure you price competivly on ebay. craigslist on the other hand you can jack up the price just call it the "ultimate gaming card" lmfao. people on there will buy anything that says gaming lmao

lol alright, I'll try that. But I'd like to have the option for further upgrades in the future, ya know? I'm gettin tired of trading out computer after computer, this is like my 3rd in the past year :\

Essentially I just want one that's future proof at least for 2-3, maybe 4 years. I don't mean GTX 580 Lightning / i7-980 Extreme future proof, I just mean... "future proof for my needs".

So, again, at this point I think it'll come down to how the money goes, whether or not I'll be able to afford it ontop of the new car payments + rent/bills (just graduated aka still living at home) + other general expenses and see how all that goes. But anyways, thanks for all the help, I'm pretty dead-set on what I'm getting by now, unless there's a new deal going on around the time that I buy the parts.

Hi,

You can check my rig's specs in my sig. I'm pretty happy with what I'm running now. Like you, I was amazed at how much more resource intensive Crysis 2 is with the update. I'm able to run it with DX11 and "Ultra", but it is far from "buttery smooth." That said, it does look amazing.

I'm a big fan of the 2500K and decided on it since the 2600K would have been a waste of $ since no game I'm aware of threads more than 4 cores. I've been running two 560Ti's in SLI for a little while and they do a pretty good job. Mine are factory OC'd some, but so far I haven't had a moment's trouble with them.

If you're looking for a new case, I can't recommend the Silverstone Raven RV02-EW strongly enough. It is one of the coolest running (best ventilated) cases out there with plenty of room for large video cards. I also really like the fact that all of the plugs/connectors are on TOP vice on the back.

Best of luck with your rig and pls let me know if you have any questions!

[img]http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp127/warspite721/IMG_1287.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp127/warspite721/IMG_1236.jpg[/img] Edited by =ADK= warspite

Your case looks extremely confusing to me D: I can't tell how it's oriented.

The one I picked out was the case that Jeremy suggested, the HAF932. It looks pretty large, and it's about the same size by comparison, just depending on how your case is oriented, because there's a few differences in height and length so I couldn't really tell, but both are fairly large. It also has a couple of massive fans on it, plus I've got two 120mm fans on the side of my case that I could bring over IF needed. But I really am debating getting two 560s over just one, is it really that big of a performance difference?

I mean sure, two cards is obviously better than one, but then I hear about sli scaling and then people start saying percentages. I honestly don't know much about sli, so I don't know for sure what all of it means, but it just sounds like something that I wouldn't really want to bother with.

One last thing, the sides of your cards have an EVGA logo on them, are they this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604 ? That's the one I'll be getting so a good side-by-side comparison would be nice if you happen to have that particular card.

sli scales really well when using 2 cards its when you go over 2 that the scaling starts dropping a bit im not sure of exact percentages but the performance increase is well worth the extra card if you can afford it. just don't skimp on power supply or case and you will be just fine. I have a seasonic 650 watt gold certified fully modular psu and it does everything I need and more and the price was very reasonable at 139.99 on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088 also here is a pic of my case so you can see just how much room it has

[img]http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq286/lillonnie28092/101_0684.jpg[/img]

I like how that fan on the bottom of your case isn't even screwed in xD but is that the HAF932 you recommended me earlier? The one on newegg has a full black interior, but everything else looks generally the same from the side view.

The power supply I've got picked out is a 700W and is Modular High Performance and 80 plus certified, and it's only $90... is that a good price? It's like $60 cheaper than yours and supplies a bit more power, but I'm not sure about the other stuff, power supplies are one of my least-researched pieces of computer hardware at this point.

Sorry, I would've replied earlier but I spent the last 5 and a half hours learning how to design a small level in a game :\ and now for I'd guess another 100+ hours of learning how to design the rest of a game *sigh* oh well, it'll be worth it if I can stick through to the end with my idea.

yea the cords from the psu hold it in place lmao it is for looks more than anything it was a cheap fan i had so I threw it in for the blue glow lol. the brand name of the power supply is far more important than the wattage. also look for a single rail psu they hold up much better than multi rail. the psu is THE most important part of a pc. if it goes out it could take out half of your hardware with it. the better the brand the less likely this is to happen.

good luck on the game design

[quote name='desdiinova' timestamp='1310193694' post='9607']
Your case looks extremely confusing to me D: I can't tell how it's oriented.

The one I picked out was the case that Jeremy suggested, the HAF932. It looks pretty large, and it's about the same size by comparison, just depending on how your case is oriented, because there's a few differences in height and length so I couldn't really tell, but both are fairly large. It also has a couple of massive fans on it, plus I've got two 120mm fans on the side of my case that I could bring over IF needed. But I really am debating getting two 560s over just one, is it really that big of a performance difference?

I mean sure, two cards is obviously better than one, but then I hear about sli scaling and then people start saying percentages. I honestly don't know much about sli, so I don't know for sure what all of it means, but it just sounds like something that I wouldn't really want to bother with.

One last thing, the sides of your cards have an EVGA logo on them, are they this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604 ? That's the one I'll be getting so a good side-by-side comparison would be nice if you happen to have that particular card.
[/quote]

Yea, if you're unfamiliar with Silverstone's "Raven" series of cases, they can look a little confusing. In the case, the mobo is turned 90 degrees clockwise, so that all of the connectors that would be on the back of the case are now on top (eliminating the need to get behind the case to connect/disconnect cables). Also, since the video cards, etc. are now vertically oriented, the heat they generate in the case naturally rises upward and out of the top of the case. This natural cooling effect is augmented by the three 180cm fans in the floor of the case. It's amazing how cool (and quiet) these cases are. I'm truly impressed with them. I went to the Silverstone from an Antec 900 and it was quite an improvement.

[quote name='=ADK= warspite' timestamp='1310339394' post='9664']
Yea, if you're unfamiliar with Silverstone's "Raven" series of cases, they can look a little confusing. In the case, the mobo is turned 90 degrees clockwise, so that all of the connectors that would be on the back of the case are now on top (eliminating the need to get behind the case to connect/disconnect cables). Also, since the video cards, etc. are now vertically oriented, the heat they generate in the case naturally rises upward and out of the top of the case. This natural cooling effect is augmented by the three 180cm fans in the floor of the case. It's amazing how cool (and quiet) these cases are. I'm truly impressed with them. I went to the Silverstone from an Antec 900 and it was quite an improvement.
[/quote]

Ahh, makes sense enough. Given that I'm not even 100% on getting sli as it is, I'm not really sure about that. The HAF 932 looks fairly good for circulation though, I think. It has 3 (yeah 3, I thought it was crazy too) 230mm fans (front, side, top), and a 140mm in the back. The one I currently have has 6 120mm fans and it stays relatively cool. Not to mention the fact that, since I'll have the money, I'm hoping to get into some water cooling with this new system. Actually, if you take a look at the case (link at bottom of post), do you think it'll have room for a radiator and stuff?

Anyways, my dad is taking my application in tomorrow for work (since he works there, saves on gas), so wish me luck :3 could really use a good job right now to take up my time and get things off my mind...

K so I've got a few updates on it... but I also have some questions. First off, the updates:

This mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128498
This GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121446 (maybe... takes 2 power cords, so it'd eliminate possible SLI which is unattractive)

Trying to find a replacement for the RAM to get something that'll better match the computer visually (going all red/black) but I'm kind of confused. For the Cas Latency and the timings, would lower or higher be better? The new motherboard allows faster RAM, (DDR3 2133) and there's only 2 models of that on newegg (both of which are red) but one set comes with a fan, and the other doesn't, but there's a $50 price difference... I didn't really think it added up so I compared a few other things, and the Cas Latency and timings are a bit different on each (one with fans has latency of 9 and timings of 9-11-9-28, while the one without has latency of 11 and timings at 11-11-11-30). I really wouldn't want to spend that extra $50 and instead buy something elsewhere in the case if I didn't have to. Both are from G.SKILL though.

the HAF932 is set up for water cooling you take out the top fan and the rads go there it even has a refill hole at the top of the case for easy coolant adding. this case is huge and circulates ALOT of air. but at the same time is very quiet. im not knocking the raven case at all it looks very nice and would also be a very nice case I read some reviews on it and didn't find a bad 1. Its really persanol prefrence wich 1 you go with

this is all the ram you need right here if you get that ram your talking about the board has to be overclocked meaning you have to have extra ram there that you can put in just to overclock and then switch to your ram. not to mention you won't see a difference. I suggest something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231335

lower cas latency is always better the lower the faster the ram I liked is cas 7 and very reliable Edited by jeremy28092

[quote name='jeremy28092' timestamp='1310386678' post='9679']
the HAF932 is set up for water cooling you take out the top fan and the rads go there it even has a refill hole at the top of the case for easy coolant adding. this case is huge and circulates ALOT of air. but at the same time is very quiet. im not knocking the raven case at all it looks very nice and would also be a very nice case I read some reviews on it and didn't find a bad 1. Its really persanol prefrence wich 1 you go with

this is all the ram you need right here if you get that ram your talking about the board has to be overclocked meaning you have to have extra ram there that you can put in just to overclock and then switch to your ram. not to mention you won't see a difference. I suggest something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231335

lower cas latency is always better the lower the faster the ram I liked is cas 7 and very reliable
[/quote]

I think I'm just going to go with the HAF, I like the look of it, + I'm going to try and put this one together myself, so I'd prefer something I'm more used to :P

As for the RAM, I was hoping to get something that was just 2 x 4GB so I could just round up to 8GB total and still have plenty of room for expansion IF needed (HIGHLY doubt it, but still, it's there). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231445 is what I had picked out already, but I was just looking for something to go with the whole red/black scheme.

Alright so I didn't sleep last night so I've changed quite a bit on the build, so would any of you guys mind taking a quick look just to be sure that I got it all set up fine and dandy and everything will be compatible etc. ? <3

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128498
GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233185
SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227550
HDD(s): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533 << 2 of em
and uhh... this thingy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

I looked around a bit and it seemed like these were the best for their price on everything. It'd be sweet if someone could double check on that GPU for me though. It's a 560 so I figure it'd be alright with anything, but I'd prefer something that'll last me for a long time and not die out fast over the miniscule performance differences between the different models.

Total price comes up to $1,325.35 so I guess that's that for my $1,500 cap. If you guys have any suggestions for an upgrade at a fairly small price or even a side-grade on something that I'd be better off with, feel free to throw it out, otherwise this is my final build.

Quick edit: Is it gonna be possible to find a GTX 570 that only runs off one power cable? All I can see are cards that have 2 power slots. Either this or a power supply that would have 4 cords I suppose... only I imagine that'd be a lot more expensive. Edited by desdiinova

Dam thats clean WAR!

desdiinova, I have only read the last few post, im to lazy to read it all but as far as your parts ago here are my suggestions:

Case is nice, but consider the storm scout, or the HAF X, and maybe some of Antec and In Win cases.

For the HDD I suggest the Samsung Spinpoint f3, faster and quiter then the WD black, I have one and its great! Im about to get another. Not to mention its cheaper!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&cm_re=samsung_spinpoint-_-22-152-185-_-Product

The asus drive is cool, I have that one and it works great.

The Gigabyte is a big freaking flag here! Gigabyte is a great brand but they DO NOT HAVE UEFI! The ASUS boards right now are probably the best. I suggest get the pro p8p67 or some other board that has the UEFI bios! Trust me its better. Also consider the p68 chipset since you want to get a SSD. p68 supports sdd caching, otherwise dont worry about p68.

Gtx 560 is a nice pick, no comments there. Make sure to register with EVGA though to get that lifetime warranty. Also to address your concern about 1 power cable to power the card is just impossible all higher end cards need serious juice. It will require 2 8 pins or 2 6pins.

2500k is what i use with my asus sabertooh and its a great cpu, never slows down.

The PSU is nice but I would probably get some more watts. While it is gold certified and enough for what you have, think about future upgrades. I would shoot for about 750-800 ish. I have the corsair 750 tx Love it!

While the Vengenace series is all cool and stuff, dont get caught in the hype of super fast high performance memory. I had a set of G skill Ripjaws that died on me with in a week and get a set of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145263

Turns out not only are they more stable, but they are faster then the lower latency Gskills i had. Also depending on how much memory you are getting get 4 x 2gb for 8 gbs or 4gb x 4 for 16. Better that way for OC.

Im not too big of an expert on SSD but I do know that I dont like OCZ their products and customer service as I have seen is under a lot of fire and dissatisfied customers.

ok here my 2 cents. I am running both that case and power supply with 2 HD4870's in crossfire both overclocked and my AMD Phenom 2 955 black is overclocked and that case keeps them all way under max temp on full load on a hot day. that power supply has ran my rig for 5 months with out even a hickup. seasonic is one of the oldest most tr4usted power supply company's around. as for the ssd I have an OCZ vertex 2 80 gig drive and I have been using it for about 5 months with no trouble and I read and write files to it all the time. OCZ toolbox says it still has 100% of its life left and all the reviews i read on OCZ are great. there ssd's are considered top of the line. Oh and I ran a 3rd card in my pc for about a month on that power supply and the fan rarely even kicks on. I do agree with ASUS having the superior motherboards I have an ASUS and I love it. as for the memory it depends on what your doing with your pc as to whether you will notice a difference in the ram speeds or not. Hardcore gaming like crysis 2 on max settings yes if your reading your email no. when I buy ram I make it a point to find the lowest cas rating I can but thats me I like the best. I don't know much about the samsung drive but my persanol prefrence is I only buy western digital black drives as they have a 5 year warrenty and I have never had 1 fail on me Edited by jeremy28092

I'll look into the cases and do a few comparisons on em to see what I like more, but I'll do that a little bit later, for now I'll just focus on the smaller parts.

I switched to the HDD only because it's about $80 cheaper :P Beyond that I've never had any sort of hard drive fail on me, so I wouldn't really have any experience in the field of which is better over what, people report failures on all hard drive types all the time, it just comes down to personal cases I think. And since the HDDs I've been using for most of my life are low-end and these are... ehh, mid-end I figure I should do fine.

I'll check out other motherboards though, good to see that the GPU and CPU were good picks though.

Jeremy, he wasn't really bashing the power supply you picked out, only suggesting I get more power for future upgrades since the card I'm getting will require 2 connectors, I'd need 2 cables. So I settled with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171057 . Kept it gold certified, because it seems that that's a good thing and it also has 3 x 6+2 pins and 3 x 6 pin cables, so that'll be plenty for 2 cards. One more thing, I checked the reviews and there wasn't a single bad one, just positive things about it.

As for the ram, I'm just wanting to get some 2 x 4GB cards so I could have enough for anything I need in the future, but at the same time have room for 2 more sticks IF I need more (which I don't imagine). I've had 2 x 2GB Corsair Vengeance cards in my case for almost 2 months now and I haven't had a problem with them, plus I'd bet Corsair has some good customer service since they're a fairly large name. I may just stick with these cards.

Finally, the SSD. I'll do a little bit of homework on some different models and brands overnight. Not saying that this particular one is a bad one or anything, I'd just prefer that in the case of a failure, I have some good customer support for a refund.

Yeah Seasonic is a great PSU brand, I was just suggesting more juice. While it might be enough, I always like to have ample extra juice for that just in case situation. Lets face it, it would be better to spend the extra 30-40 bucks on more power then have to remove and rewire your whole case when you need more power.

Seasonic and Corsair is waht I would get.

I really dont like the cooler master PSU but I know a guy that has one and it runs pretty good.