Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Grenade_Magnet

What's your occupation?

Hey all, hope you've been having a good morning/afternoon/evening/night/late-night.

I've actually been wondering what everyone does for a living since we have a large number of people with a wide variety of skills and backgrounds.

I work in cyber security monitoring for attacks, malware infections, and anomalous traffic. I have a server admin and help desk background as well. I am working towards becoming an ethical hacker/penetration tester. I also do a small bit of malware analysis on my own at home to learn what the malware had done to the computer and where it is reporting out to on the internet.

Your career is impressive and probably far too technical for me. :)

I'm a freelance writer and editor. Mostly web copy with occasional technical pieces or white papers. I do as much research as actual wordsmithing and I don't enjoy the work, so I'm looking into studying personal training. The NASM-CPT specifically. Within the next year I hope to change careers.

Hey all, hope you've been having a good morning/afternoon/evening/night/late-night.

I've actually been wondering what everyone does for a living since we have a large number of people with a wide variety of skills and backgrounds.

I work in cyber security monitoring for attacks, malware infections, and anomalous traffic. I have a server admin and help desk background as well. I am working towards becoming an ethical hacker/penetration tester. I also do a small bit of malware analysis on my own at home to learn what the malware had done to the computer and where it is reporting out to on the internet.

I should also add that I'm a SSG in the Army National Guard, primarily I do a lot of technical work and analysis. 

I'm an Architect irl. 

On the side, as a hobby, I design invitations/stuff and sell it on Etsy. Funny story, I received a custom order from a lady for a wedding package (invitations/rsvp, etc). Turns out she was the one who voiced all the female blood elf emotes for WoW. lol 

I'm an Architect irl.
On the side, as a hobby, I design invitations/stuff and sell it on Etsy. Funny story, I received a custom order from a lady for a wedding package (invitations/rsvp, etc). Turns out she was the one who voiced all the female blood elf emotes for WoW. lol

Was she getting married in real life? You know how those WoW people are >_>

Oh, you people who've graduated school and have careers. :P

I'm Phire, full time watcher of other people's kids, and answerer of telephones for a Chinese Restaurant where the employees don't speak well English.

This year in Highschool I'm trying to get enough credits and high enough scores to apply for a Culinary college course. (There's two spots for all surrounding counties.) I've been putting my culinary skills to good use in ADK by having a sugar debate with @[member='Pepsi'] and baking muffins for @[member='ColColonCleaner']

Was she getting married in real life? You know how those WoW people are >_>

Haha yes, in real life. Huge Beatles fans.

Everything for their wedding invites were based on The Beatles. lol Pretty cool stuff.  

Edited by slickfootanna

I'm going for a bachelor's degree in software engineering, graduating this coming summer if all goes well. Currently employed as an intern by a large software def company, mainly dealing with services for banks. In my "free" time, i make battlefield admin tools, which are currently running on hundreds of servers.

Retired Police Detective Sergeant and SWAT Commander / Crisis Negotiator Commander after 25-year law enforcement career.  Also a POST Certified Academy Instructor and Adjunct Professor of Criminal Justice.  I sit on college Criminal Justice Advisory Committees in Arizona and Colorado developing curriculum for police academies and degree programs.

Have a Master's of Science Degree in Security Management and Emergency Management and a Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Leadership.   P

Spend my time now riding my Can Am Spyder and taking care of my 2 boys and training a brand new German Shepherd puppy who is going to be Schutzhund trained, which is a German sport for the breed with the components of Tracking, Obedience, and Protection.  His father is a National Champion.

Cheers

0==]::;;;;;;::7

Software Test Engineer and currently working with a project for a major aircraft manufacturer.

Outside of work, I normally attend seminars/conventions hosted by software companies (e.g. Microsoft, Adobe) and participate in non-profit organization projects with web apps in the local community. I wish I had enough technical skills to compete in the BattleHack World Championships this November.

Outside of that, I guess you can say I normally hang around Starbucks reading on the latest libraries created by other devs.

@[member='KnightsX'] is that the Ultima Can Am? I've always wanted to get the GT-R version, and find a company that produces the Twin Hayabusa Engine.

You said ethical hacking. Are you trying to say you would be like a white hat in the scene?

Yes, I would love to be on a team where major corporations or government agencies hire us for yearly audits. The health care industry makes that sort of thing mandatory for operation so that keeps White Hats always in need.  :D

I've been in graphics production since 1991... from graphics for the Aerospace industry, Vitamin labels for Walgreens, then moved to graphics for Autoshows/Tradeshows across the country, to regular print and billboard ads for Addidas, Levi's, Audi, Apple, Old Navy, etc. to now working on Catalogs for Restoration Hardware.  Somewhere in-between I was in the 3D department for a total of 2 years, using Modo and Maya.

I'm an Architect irl. 

Woooah.... cool experience(s) for both occasions! 

Still currently a High school student, but I might enroll in the service after high school... currently right now I'm actually a student at a perfroming arts high in L.A and I sing choral music. A high school group I'm in is prepping for a choral gig in chinatown and we're just gonna sing some christmas pieces, but at least I'll get paid :D... after service might take computer engineering or major in music and teach music.

Been in the video production world since 2003. I mainly do freelance editing, photography, video work, narrative and documentary film work. Doesn't suck, I just hate my locale. Luckily I travel a fair deal so that makes up for being near Baltimore.

Still currently a High school student, but I might enroll in the service after high school... currently right now I'm actually a student at a perfroming arts high in L.A and I sing choral music. A high school group I'm in is prepping for a choral gig in chinatown and we're just gonna sing some christmas pieces, but at least I'll get paid :D... after service might take computer engineering or major in music and teach music.

If you're interested, check out what a few of us had replied to GuessWho regarding joining the military. It's in the General Chat section

I've done a few different things over the years....game development, LAN admin, wrote software for defense/law enforcement sector, software analysis/programming for a university non-profit org, among a few other things.

Edited by Bong Cooperstein

Interesting to see there are people from the military or law enforcement here. I thought everyone was a programmer or worked with computers.

USCG, LT operating part of a tactical response team. For the curious, we work in a SCIF as a collective with DEA and ICE cracking down on bad people. When they see us, they know what time it is.

Also own an autobody shop.

Past, worked at Ford and NASA as a materials engineer.

I have an Uncle that used to work for NASA as a contractor but it wasnt anything engineer based. I dont really remember what he actually did, probably something with satellites since he moved to Verizon for that line of work during my middle school years.

Former Army, active duty in the 82nd

Firefighter/EMT-B since 2007-current

Generally specialized in badassery

Minored in kicking ass and making chuck norris look like a bitch.

But no really, I was in the Army in the 80-deuce for a little less than 5 years as an airborne cavalry scout In an LRSTA unit also had experience in a Personnel Security Detachment. Yes, I deployed, yes I liked it (for the most part), no I wasn't on a huge ass FOB, and no I won't go there. Oh, and I don't know steve. And seriously have been a firefighter EMT since 2007. 

Interesting to see there are people from the military or law enforcement here. I thought everyone was a programmer or worked with computers.

USCG, LT operating part of a tactical response team. For the curious, we work in a SCIF as a collective with DEA and ICE cracking down on bad people. When they see us, they know what time it is.

Also own an autobody shop.

I think it would be awesome if we had a forum tag for those who have served in the military or law enforcement as they are the ones who are either fighting or have fought for our freedom to be here, for this community to exist, and for us to sit on our butts @ home and play on our computers while they are away from their families, putting their own life at risk for us here. Thank you to all of you who have served. 

I feel I may have just caused a de-rail of the thread, oops.

I think it would be awesome if we had a forum tag for those who have served in the military or law enforcement as they are the ones who are either fighting or have fought for our freedom to be here, for this community to exist, and for us to sit on our butts @ home and play on our computers while they are away from their families, putting their own life at risk for us here. Thank you to all of you who have served. 

I feel I may have just caused a de-rail of the thread, oops.

@[member='AOBLXIX']