Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
=ADK= warspite

Battlefield/Frostbite 2 & 3 and Hyperthreading on Win 8.1

I recently upgraded to Win 8.1 and decided to give hyperthreading another try.  On my system, it seems to work very well although I don't have any reliable way to benchmark my results.  

What I can say is that under Win7, with my frames locked at 117FPS, I would routinely get dips into the 90s, especially in firefights or whenever I look at the objective cluster outside the uncap.  The stuttering was also horrendous, which was the main reason why many folks disabled it.  Under Win 8.1 with HT enabled, my frames are a solid 117FPS, even on a large map like Caspian with 64 players.  Zero stutter.  Give it a try and advise your results!  You just might be surprised.

war

I've got a free copy of windows 8 but i'm holding off because there has been confirmed cases of significant mouse lag in games that don't have Raw Input or DirectInput mouse support. I'm assuming there is none in battlefield? Edited by Joey

In the BF4 Beta (and in BF3), I haven't noticed any mouse lag in either "raw" or normal modes.  However, I do have mouse acceleration disabled and the "mouse fix" applied.  Also, I run with vsync disabled (but FPS is limited to 1FPS below monitor refresh rate).

war

Edited by =ADK= warspite

@[member='Joey']

Learn a few shortcuts. You can navigate and start programs with out a mouse. Many people have noticed on older Windows that search can be slow and painful but in W8 the search is indexed with an XML file and is almost instant.

Few notes;
bottom left in desktop hit right mouse button gives you a menu to navigate.
windows button, type your program name (Itu is generally all I need for iTunes). Hit enter and program starts.
right monitor menu: control panel is only available in desktop and not metro view.
right click your program shortcut and you can pin to taskbar and/or metro.

BF3 I still get unstable rates on large maps on ultra, but high or lower stable above 100fps. W8 and bf4 beta for me was rock steady on high.

@[member='Joey']

Learn a few shortcuts. You can navigate and start programs with out a mouse. Many people have noticed on older Windows that search can be slow and painful but in W8 the search is indexed with an XML file and is almost instant.

Few notes;
bottom left in desktop hit right mouse button gives you a menu to navigate.
windows button, type your program name (Itu is generally all I need for iTunes). Hit enter and program starts.
right monitor menu: control panel is only available in desktop and not metro view.
right click your program shortcut and you can pin to taskbar and/or metro.

BF3 I still get unstable rates on large maps on ultra, but high or lower stable above 100fps. W8 and bf4 beta for me was rock steady on high.

I've found that BF4 ran steady in the beta as well, especially after the last patch.  Hoping the good frames and stability continue.

quick question, general really, Is the metro interface really just HTML5?

The Metro interface is HTML 5 and Silverlight. Is uses a Microsoft technology called Windows Presentation Foundation or WPF. WPF is something that uses XML and code (like VB or C# etc) in a more elegant form than the older Windows Forms (What many programs are made with such as Procon), Windows forms are still a very supported and viable way to make programs. Silverlight is a mix of HTML, XML, and code.

In Windows 8 and up WPF is what your Window/File explorer is using, all the metro apps are silverlight along with the tiles. 

I wanted Windows 8 when it came out so.. 0?

Windows 8 is awesome and the only people who say otherwise tend to be people who have never used it and think that Windows 8 is the Metro UI.

Hint: Metro is just a fucking full screen start menu. O NOES