Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
=ADK= warspite

Good Article on CPU/System Lag Reduction

Here is an interesting article I recently read on things one can do to reduce system latency.

Although the article directly relates to DAWs (digital audio workstations), it also applies to any system that renders real time audio and video streams (gaming PCs, creating youTube content, livestreaming, Twitch, etc.).

The intro paragraphs explain what DPCs (deferred procedure calls) are and provides some tips you can use to smooth them out and improve system performance.  

These tips aren't designed to boost FPS, they help users discover and correct the system lag that causes jitters and stutters in video and audio streams.

Got a lag issue you can't figure out?  The answer just might be in here.

war

You bet!  My thought is that systems are becoming so fast, many of the performance issues we will face reside inside our boxes.  The better we get to know our systems and how they work, the more (and better) performance we can get from them.

I'm shifting my focus from faster is better (better/newer hardware, overclocking, etc.) to the ways one can get the best quality of performance from their systems.  For now, we are reaching a point where the benefits of fast hardware are limited by the refresh rates of our monitors.  Once your minimum FPS passes your monitor's refresh rate with about a 10% margin or so, faster does little good and the screen tearing that occurs when FPS > Refresh Rate actually hurts the gaming experience.

I'm finding it more useful to focus on the many ways of reducing system latency and maximizing the "smoothness" of system performance as a means of maximizing the gaming experience.  This is the primary focus of console engineers, and one would be hard put to argue against their success.

war

very nice.  this is some stuff i should have thought of since i do DAW guitar recording, but didnt even cross my mind.  thx for the cool info.

Edited by Orbit639