Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
=ADK= warspite

Future Tech

As gaming consoles march forward, so must PC gaming if it is going to remain a viable gaming platform.

Future tech I would like to see:

- Standalone physics processor (like a GPU) that would offload physics rendering from the CPU.  I know this has been tried before, but given the bandwidth, process size, and die cost now as compared to when it was last tried, I think developers could make a go of it if software designers and hardware vendors could agree on a standard.

- Standalone AI processor.  Let's face it, today's AI in game totally sucks.  Some of the funniest youTube videos I've seen revolve around broken in game AI for NPCs.  Perhaps with dedicated processing power, better AI could be written that would make the campaign mode of the games we enjoy far more challenging and immersive.  Imagine, for instance, if you had a couple of NPC with decent AI would truly team with you and be of some use?   It would also be nice if enemy AI was smarter and more adaptive.  The way it seems now they are little more than aimbots.

I can dream, can't I?

What say you?

war

I actually really like what you are thinking.  I think you about all said everything so there isn't much I can add on that.  But I think it would be amazing to see these ideas getting implemented in the near future.  Hell honestly I think with Frostbite 3 engine capabilities (we have yet to experience personally) but its already amazing what can be done with it.  I feel there will be a need or rather it will make things just slightly (but noticeably) better.  I don't know if that made since but simply put I could see not necessarily a need but a very nice addition to Tech in the future.

I have to agree with you. I would like to also add, that now that we are at 2-4 Tb of HDD space that doesn't cost as much, games shouldn't be afraid to have such a huge install. Yes it could impact their marketing to other people, but it doesn't cost that much to get a 1 Tb HDD (only around $64).

With this large amount of space to fill, the developers could dedicate a whole lot of resources to their engine. It isn't that hard to develop a physics engine for GPUs to offset the load on the CPU (example: Havok and PhysX). Now PhysX was developed by Nvidia for Nvidia so that hurts processors when someone wants that PhysX yet doesn't have a Nvidia GPU. Now Havok was universal, capable of taking the load off of CPUs and throwing it onto the GPUs. Why hasn't developers looked into this? I don't know, maybe there isn't enough eye candy like you would have with PhysX, but Havok does have that eye candy; and it doesn't require as much GPU resources (I decided to use resources instead of power to make it easier to read) to power the Havok technology.

Playstation 4 is utilizing that technology, I can't find an example. Yet games like inFAMOUS: Second Son seem to be using that technology.

Now I would also love to see improved AI. And if they can make physics technology, why not improve AI technology.

And no,  I do not want FISH AI!.... I want actual AI like WarSpite said, I don't want to see the AI slide around nor do I want to see a glitch where one is humping the ground! I also want them to kill! KILL! Is that too much to ask for?! Too many games I have played where the AI just shoot at them doing nothing, but when the enemy shoots back they die! DIE!

Some of them are too much of a wuss to jump off a cliff with me... What I can't die, but you can? Come on are those muscles for nothing? And then there are things like Halo where the vehicle goes in circles or even nowhere, it is like only the Chief knows where to go and the soldiers are just meatshields for him (which I do utilize...).

Then there is Saints Row, I can shoot out of the vehicle yet you can't?! Since when are gangsters too baby to shoot out of the vehicle they stole?! 

There are so many more examples to this irritation to the AI, but I rest my case.

I can't wait to see other replies.

~ James

PS: I will find and link the Havok engine tech demo... It is really up to par with PhysX now, but only a handle of games actually have Havok as their physics engine.

Edited by Johanos

I have to agree with you. I would like to also add, that now that we are at 2-4 Tb of HDD space that doesn't cost as much, games shouldn't be afraid to have such a huge install. Yes it could impact their marketing to other people, but it doesn't cost that much to get a 1 Tb HDD (only around $64).

With this large amount of space to fill, the developers could dedicate a whole lot of resources to their engine. It isn't that hard to develop a physics engine for GPUs to offset the load on the CPU (example: Havok and PhysX). Now PhysX was developed by Nvidia for Nvidia so that hurts processors when someone wants that PhysX yet doesn't have a Nvidia GPU. Now Havok was universal, capable of taking the load off of CPUs and throwing it onto the GPUs. Why hasn't developers looked into this? I don't know, maybe there isn't enough eye candy like you would have with PhysX, but Havok does have that eye candy; and it doesn't require as much GPU resources (I decided to use resources instead of power to make it easier to read) to power the Havok technology.

Playstation 4 is utilizing that technology, I can't find an example. Yet games like inFAMOUS: Second Son seem to be using that technology.

Now I would also love to see improved AI. And if they can make physics technology, why not improve AI technology.

And no,  I do not want FISH AI!.... I want actual AI like WarSpite said, I don't want to see the AI slide around nor do I want to see a glitch where one is humping the ground! I also want them to kill! KILL! Is that too much to ask for?! Too many games I have played where the AI just shoot at them doing nothing, but when the enemy shoots back they die! DIE!

Some of them are too much of a wuss to jump off a cliff with me... What I can't die, but you can? Come on are those muscles for nothing? And then there are things like Halo where the vehicle goes in circles or even nowhere, it is like only the Chief knows where to go and the soldiers are just meatshields for him (which I do utilize...).

Then there is Saints Row, I can shoot out of the vehicle yet you can't?! Since when are gangsters too baby to shoot out of the vehicle they stole?! 

There are so many more examples to this irritation to the AI, but I rest my case.

I can't wait to see other replies.

~ James

PS: I will find and link the Havok engine tech demo... It is really up to par with PhysX now, but only a handle of games actually have Havok as their physics engine.

I didn't know much as far other physics processors other than PhysX.  But I like the info you provided.  This pretty much promotes was War said is that there is already infrastructures for it out there but now is a better time to actually play with these types of things especially with engines like Frostbite 3 and such.

cheap and more compact wireless hdmi. still waiting...

Damn, that is a good one!  Wires suck (ok, we do need power... for now), but standards are emerging (in the 60GHz band, I think) that would make short range wireless HDMI cheap and workable.  I am all for anything that consigns wires to the rubbish bin of history!

war

Just for clarification; PhysX was developed and sold as a card about 10 Years ago by a third party company. Like the Killer Network card it failed and Nvidia bought the software from them and implemented the software into their hardware and drivers.

cheap and more compact wireless hdmi. still waiting...

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Meters/dp/B003L1ZYYM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380847807&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi\

How much cheaper do you want it to be?

HAHA

wireless....

HAHA wow.

I think i actually got the 6 or 10 foot version of that cable and man it was a hell of a deal.

Edited by War_Adm1ral

HAHA

HAHA wow.

I think i actually got the 6 or 10 foot version of that cable and man it was a hell of a deal.

what? that cord is not a wireless hdmi cord?

As gaming consoles march forward, so must PC gaming if it is going to remain a viable gaming platform.

Future tech I would like to see:

- Standalone physics processor (like a GPU) that would offload physics rendering from the CPU.  I know this has been tried before, but given the bandwidth, process size, and die cost now as compared to when it was last tried, I think developers could make a go of it if software designers and hardware vendors could agree on a standard.

- Standalone AI processor.  Let's face it, today's AI in game totally sucks.  Some of the funniest youTube videos I've seen revolve around broken in game AI for NPCs.  Perhaps with dedicated processing power, better AI could be written that would make the campaign mode of the games we enjoy far more challenging and immersive.  Imagine, for instance, if you had a couple of NPC with decent AI would truly team with you and be of some use?   It would also be nice if enemy AI was smarter and more adaptive.  The way it seems now they are little more than aimbots.

I can dream, can't I?

What say you?

war

they had a stand alone physics card called physX and it failed. Only game I remember really supporting it was Ghost recon. NVIDIA bought them out for the software rights. NVIDIA cards run physics at the gpu. That's why you can set a card (2 cards not sli'ed) as a dedicated physics, but Grim knew and I tested it anyways, it's slower then just running SLI. In theory AI doesn't use as much CPU as many think, but more memory to make it more dynamic. IMO the consoles have kept that back along with M/P being more popular.

What we have to realize that the shortcomings of the A.I. is dependent on the design and amount of resources spent by the developer and/or development team in charge. You can have the most powerful processor in the known world but if the design and coding of the A.I. is horrible, then there is no point in spending that much on resources for powerful hardware.

You have to keep things in perspective as well about the amount of risk involved in developing A.I. as opposed to an actual interaction with a human being. There is a fairly known subject called "Machine Learning" in most Computer Science universities right now where people develop libraries which a software can conduct fundamental decision making, process an output from numerous inputs. Remember that a human brain has a pattern seeking mechanism, this same logic can be applied to a machine. Machine Learning has already made leaps and bounds on the stock market and one of the best examples given to me was the algorithms used to predict weather patterns.

So you're right that an independent CPU needs to allocated for AI, but you also need to have the proper coding to bring out its true potential

Edited by IIGodHanzoII

does it remind you of something? It is a lengthy topic but I was just giving an example :)

this is all i ever hear about at school. machine learning this, machine learning that lol.

this is all i ever hear about at school. machine learning this, machine learning that lol.

ah ok. well...... I'm not gonna say that its a boring topic, but if you love mathematics..... and you have either

1) a bunch of good buddies working on the project 

2) a cute girl working with you on the project

But I digress, it's just something to ponder for those who want to work on improving A.I.

Edited by IIGodHanzoII

First one will never happen if AMD/NVIDIA and patents have anything to say about it. First one to patent it wins. Money is OP.

Second one would also be difficult considering it would require people to have these AI processors installed, and the majority of systems out there aren't used for gaming, meaning they won't be installed. And again, patents, and money. First one to patent it wins.

Edited by Worst Garen NA

We don't need better AI processing, we need better AI programing.
AI's don't really "think", they follow a series of checks and react with preprogrammed patterns of behavior (at least the AI I've worked with coding Lua with RTS games). It's not even very CPU intensive.

Having the world's greatest computer won't change AI quality if the AI only has 3 ways to respond to a situation. AI's in single player games are extremely predictable because when the level is designed, you paint a layer for the AI paths. Without those, the AI won't even move. More complex AI might be coded to check if they've gone a certain path before or check for the quickest possible path to the player, but they don't do anything beyond what they've been specifically told to do.

Edited by Blastbeats

- Quantum computing will eradicate CPUs/Coolers hopefully. Also motherboards!

- Coolant Cooling, Obviously before the introduction of Quantum Computing. Far superior cooling than water or some mixture.

Quantum computing will do none of those things. Currently quantum chips require incredibly cold cooling systems designed to slow atoms and electrons down. (aka Liquid Nitrogen, Liquid Oxygen.) On top of this, quantum computers aren't good at everything. They're good at applications requiring parallel processing (factoring, encryption, etc.) For traditional computation (most of videogames for instance) they do not perform faster and may perform much slower.

It's highly unlikely that quantum computers will replace home PCs anytime soon or ever.

Edited by Slev

Quantum computing will do none of those things. Currently quantum chips require incredibly cold cooling systems designed to slow atoms and electrons down. (aka Liquid Nitrogen, Liquid Oxygen.) On top of this, quantum computers aren't good at everything. They're good at applications requiring parallel processing (factoring, encryption, etc.) For traditional computation (most of videogames for instance) they do not perform faster and may perform much slower.

It's highly unlikely that quantum computers will replace home PCs anytime soon or ever.

I doubt I will live to see a truly general purpose quantum computer in my lifetime.  At the beginning, only universities, corporations, and the government research labs (DARPA, Sandia, Los Alamos, etc.) will be able to afford or have any real use for that kind of computing capability.  Except for gamers and folders, +80% of computer users have all the power they need on a laptop.

@[member='bloodscape']

Yes but CPU power will always out preform software on a PC. It's mainly because business upgrade cycle that limits development. Servers are a different story as the web is more dynamic daily and cloud computing.

You guys have to check out the gadget shows opinion on desktop pc's... apparently the desktop is now "dead" and were all going to run out and buy tablets/laptops to game on :-( 

http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadget-show/videos/full-episodes/tgs-series19-episode-1

( i was pissed to say the least ) :angry:

Edited by SortedGeeza