Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Vilefaith

New Computer help =/

Got a new laptop

Im running Win8 64bit

i7-4700MQ CPU

GTX 770M

SSD hybrid HDD

16gig's RAM

All games run really great on Ultra, MWO, PS2, TombRaider, Skyrim etc...all except BattleField 3.  I cant move, its like its rubberbanding.  if im not trying to walk/run everything is smooth, just cant walk/run.

Drivers are current etc.  BF3 Still runs fine on the desktop so its not a latency issue at all.  Running at 16ping, 60 download 14 upload so connection is fine.

Any ideas or help would be great.

You need to check a couple of things and post back.

Monitor your CPU and your gpu usage with a monitor program and/or task manager (only CPU, HD, and network with task manager) and follow some of Wars posts to cfg bf3.

after some monitoring sessions on a few maps that are large and small with low, high and ultra settings and see where your at. Definitely a bottle neck some where.

I think it might be an Origin issue maybe? It keeps crashing mid match.  Its not a bottle neck because in M/NE im getting the not being able to walk but everythign else is fine with GPU around 77% average, FR over 100.  thats in low, med, high and ultra.  gonna try a repair install of Origin, since this is literally the only game im having a problem with.

Vile,

Some stuff to try...

Does it work in campaign mode?

Then try a coop mission (multiplayer, but only two players on a small map) and see how that goes.

Then try a small rush or DM map on an unpopulated server, then populated

You can see I'm trying to gradually escalate the load on your system while running the game engine to see where your problem begins.  That will help to isolate the issue.  Post back and let us know.

war

ok i'll do that, but this issue ONLY happens in Battlefield, both 3 and 4beta.  I have the latest beta drivers.  Been watchign my loads and neither GPU nor CPU come anywhere near max.  was testing on low, and both never got above 50%.  I will test some no/low pop servers.  Also Origin keeps crashing but I tested a few other games like NFS:MW and it ran smooth with no origin crashing.

I'll post once I get into a BF3 server for a no/low pop test in about an hour.

smallest maps I could think of (TDM canals) just me and same thing.  Its just my moving thats the issue. Its like im rubber banding but everything else around me is fine.  Even threw a nade while not being able to move and it was fine.

This might sound dumb but check the power plan settings. Set it to performance, it makes a difference. Something to try.

Its Always set to High Performance, but I verified this anyways.  

If a game doesn't use hyoerthreading and is maxing out the threads it can use then 50 is max CPU utilization. I belive bf3 doesn't use hyperthreading or doesn't use it well.

How would I go about "adjusting" this?

If a game doesn't use hyoerthreading and is maxing out the threads it can use then 50 is max CPU utilization. I belive bf3 doesn't use hyperthreading or doesn't use it well.

BF3 doesn't use Hyperthreading.

BF4 is one of the first games to use it, as its 64bit.

Is it necessary? No. I run with an i5-2500k and I am not even overclocking and I sometimes get screen tearing.

Heck I can't even adjust my my settings. If I adjust my settings the game crashes, if I minimize, the game crashes. I had to get Prophet to give me a text file with his game settings just to get mine setup. After that I got less screen tearing. So tweaking some settings could really help.

Also I grabbed the Beta drivers for BF4 from Nvidia. 

I have 2 x 580's in SLI which is 1 x 680 and it runs pretty good. I still get occasional screen tearing though.

Honestly, when the game comes out, it will probably be gone. A lot of the issues are Beta born. 

If you use Nvidia just wait until they make a GeForce Experience Profile for the Beta or game.

Is it necessary? No. I run with an i5-2500k and I am not even overclocking and I sometimes get screen tearing.

Heck I can't even adjust my my settings. If I adjust my settings the game crashes, if I minimize, the game crashes. I had to get Prophet to give me a text file with his game settings just to get mine setup. After that I got less screen tearing. So tweaking some settings could really help.

I have 2 x 580's in SLI which is 1 x 680 and it runs pretty good. I still get occasional screen tearing though.

Honestly, when the game comes out, it will probably be gone. A lot of the issues are Beta born. 

If you use Nvidia just wait until they make a GeForce Experience Profile for the Beta or game.

But im also having this problem with BF3, not just the BF4 Beta.   At the end of the day the Battlefields are the only games im having an issue with.  While i'd love to be able to play them on this sweet laptop I still have my Desktop which Runs BF4 very well so im not without options.   

Vile,

Even though you have max performance enabled, having Speed Step and the "C" reports enabled in UEFI (BIOS) can still cause massive stuttering (it did on my system).  The stuttering was caused by CPU's load control algorithm constantly throttling the CPU up and down several times per second.  Different UEFIs/BIOSs call these settings different things, but try:

* Return to stock clocks if OC

* Disable:

- EIST

- SpeedStep

- All of the "C" reports (C1E, C3, C7, etc)

- Anything "power saving"

- Adaptive thermal monitor

Test and advise.

War

@[member='Novaura']

You can completely eliminate screen tearing with zero input lag by limiting your FPS slightly below your monitor's refresh rate.  Your game will look like you have vsync on and your system will run much cooler (especially GPU).  You will have to experiment a little bit.  For example, on my rig I have a 120Hz monitor.  Limiting my FPS using "gametime.maxvariablefps 117" in my user.cfg file is the sweet spot on my system.  

I've also found that limiting your mouse's polling rate to 500ms or 250ms can work wonders as well.

Give it a try and I'm sure you will be pleased!

war

Edited by =ADK= warspite

How would I go about "adjusting" this?

You can only disable hyperthreading in the UEFI/BIOS.  How comfortable would you be doing this?  Have you ever OC'd or adjusted settings in the UEFI/BIOS?

Please advise.

Programs don't dictate whether it uses/supports HT.

Neither does binary arch (32/64bit)

HT is simply a processor feature that exposes virtual cores (Or threads, however you want to view it) to the OS, the OS then decides what to do with it, and to which core to send various threads of programs. That's about as layman as I can put it. HT is actually much more complicated than that, but the details aren't relevant to the point I'm making here.

Programs do however support multi-threading, which might be what you're thinking of. I'm also pretty sure BF3 made use of multiple threads. It would be damn unplayable if it didn't. Most games past 2008 tend to use multi-threading. Now how efficiently it uses multiple threads depends on the programs and developers. A lot of people think that because a program makes a quad core CPU only go to 50%, it only uses two threads. This is (usually) not true, they actually use many threads, just a lot of the time those threads don't do much. It's up to the developer to be smart and design their program to share the work evenly among the threads it uses. MUCH easier said than done. However DICE appears to have done a good job with Frostbite 3, seeing how it scales with these 8-core AMD CPUs beautifully. For once these 8-core AMD CPUs are actually seeing performance wins in something that isn't code compilation.

Edited by Worst Garen NA

HT is simply a processor feature that exposes virtual cores (Or threads, however you want to view it) to the OS, the OS then decides what to do with it, and to which core to send various threads of programs. That's about as layman as I can put it. HT is actually much more complicated than that, but the details aren't relevant to the point I'm making here.

Programs do however support multi-threading, which might be what you're thinking of. I'm also pretty sure BF3 made use of multiple threads. It would be damn unplayable if it didn't. Most games past 2008 tend to use multi-threading. Now how efficiently it uses multiple threads depends on the programs and developers. A lot of people think that because a program makes a quad core CPU only go to 50%, it only uses two threads. This is (usually) not true, they actually use many threads, just a lot of the time those threads don't do much. It's up to the developer to be smart and design their program to share the work evenly among the threads it uses. MUCH easier said than done. However DICE appears to have done a good job with Frostbite 3, seeing how it scales with these 8-core AMD CPUs beautifully. For once these 8-core AMD CPUs are actually seeing performance wins in something that isn't code compilation.

I know the 64bit doesn't mean that, what I meant was, "and it is also 64 bit" Thanks for the information; however, I also know how processors work.

Hopefully it helps someone else :)

You can only disable hyperthreading in the UEFI/BIOS.  How comfortable would you be doing this?  Have you ever OC'd or adjusted settings in the UEFI/BIOS?

Please advise.

I used to build my own rigs and have a few CEE degrees but that was from the late 90's, early 00's but havent done any "tweaking" in over a decade.  Years back I would have been at home adjusting, these days I dont have a clue half of what you all are talking about because of Head Trauma from the military I have gaps in memory.  So i'm uncomfortable these days tweaking things to much.

My gaming Desktop ran the beta without any issues so ima just play BF4 on that.

Thanks everyone for trying to help figure out getting it to run on this laptop, its part of why ADK is such a great community.

Frostbite 2's excellent multicore scaling (especially with Win8) is the main reason I upgraded to a hexacore CPU.  Gooooo DICE!!!  :) 

Sign in to follow this