Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
n3h

AMD New line of GPU's

Has anyone else been checking this out? Rumors have it the 290x card will be $600, and it outperforms the nvidia titans that are $1000. Not to mention their mantle api thats releasing soon could put them over nvidia if its as powerful as they are claiming it to be(will be used in bf4). Ive always been a nvidia guy myself but it sounds like ati are stepping up there game.

cMiGieE.png

http://www.techpowerup.com/191453/amd-gpu14-event-detailed-announces-radeon-r9-290x.html

Preorder starts october 3rd and comes with free copy of battlefield 4(not really big deal for me since already bought but can always resell)

If they card really is only $600 i will be getting one to upgrade my old gtx 580.

Edited by 0nly1Fear

Read about the announcement. The claims of dominating the titan took the media by surprise. Unfortunately they haven't released any specs yet, or released a few to test for reviews yet. Wait and see, but competition is needed to continue. Nvidia's minimal upgrades need to stop.

Read about the announcement. The claims of dominating the titan took the media by surprise. Unfortunately they haven't released any specs yet, or released a few to test for reviews yet. Wait and see, but competition is needed to continue. Nvidia's minimal upgrades need to stop.

On the other hand.... AMD isn't known for making false claims. After all...they do hold the world record for fastest silicon chipset 8)

Sounds interesting!  I'm looking forward to more benchmarks and I'm hoping that the card has robust driver support.  My last several cards have been from the green camp, but I would go red in a heartbeat if the $/performance ratio is there (and the drivers are good).

Back in the day, I had an AMD Athlon II CPU b/c Intel couldn't get its Pentium $hit together, so my money goes where the $/performance is... period.  

war

NVIDIA and Intel are free to implement Mantle in their own GPUs, but have many reasons not to. AMD is in a perfect position to do this because they can now effectively bridge the gap between consoles and PC porting because they now have fingers in all the console's pies. Valve is also working with AMd to bring Mantle to Linux for use in SteamOS.

Additionally, anybody who has an AMD southern islands GPU or any recent APU can use mantle.

This is what I'm going to get soon> SAPPHIRE 100363TXSR Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202044

Keep in mind that that's still a 7970 which go for about 280 and can overclock higher. The 280x is rumored to be limited to 1ghz where as the 7970 can go well above that.

Yeah it is the same as the 7970, the GHz edition beats it completely... Now the 290x on the other hand is the greatest competitor with the 780 Ti and Titan... Notice how I never mentioned the 780? It is because the 290x trumps the 780 completely... Now crossfire wise I have no clue for now... But especially for the price I will go for the 290x over the 780... If I had more money then the Titan would have been my other choice... 

Yeah it is the same as the 7970, the GHz edition beats it completely... Now the 290x on the other hand is the greatest competitor with the 780 Ti and Titan... Notice how I never mentioned the 780? It is because the 290x trumps the 780 completely... Now crossfire wise I have no clue for now... But especially for the price I will go for the 290x over the 780... If I had more money then the Titan would have been my other choice... 

Nvidia have chosen to slice the 780 price, some of them go for as low as 499 which is cool. 

Another thing which is important to mention is that the 290x in "uber" mode is at 95 degrees so there isn't much room for overclocking with the stock cooler, so when you take a 780 and a 290x and overclock "both", the 780 takes the lead. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djvZaHHU4I8

I was merely talking about not overclocking for those of us who don't like to overclock and don't see the need... But yeah the 780 could beat the 290x OC wise, now I believe the 780 Ti might be on par or even beat the 290x when it comes out, haha.

I was merely talking about not overclocking for those of us who don't like to overclock and don't see the need... But yeah the 780 could beat the 290x OC wise, now I believe the 780 Ti might be on par or even beat the 290x when it comes out, haha.

so you buy something and dont want to get all the power you can get from it? weird :P

Edited by RngdQc

Hmm starting to rethink buying the 290x its power seems to only really show at 4k resolutions which I wont be running at anyways. Cheapest 4k monitor is like $3,000. The 780 actually beats the 290x in some games at 1080p and its now cheaper than 290x aswell.

Gonna wait till next week when nvidia launch the 780 ti and see how that performs.

Edited by 0nly1Fear

Hmm starting to rethink buying the 290x its power seems to only really show at 4k resolutions which I wont be running at anyways. Cheapest 4k monitor is like $3,000. The 780 actually beats the 290x in some games at 1080p and its now cheaper than 290x aswell.

Gonna wait till next week when nvidia launch the 780 ti and see how that performs.

The Seiki Digital is like 700 usd :P 4k TV @[member='120hz'] 

Yeah, I might go for the 780, but I would rather go for the Ti when it comes out... Right now it is Nvidia... If AMD had actually came out with a useful gpu then I would stick with them, now I believe the 780 Ti is going to have DirectX 11.2 so be excited!

I'm going to stay with AMD all the way now. They more open about their future up to 2016. They are going to going more to the FM2+, so they are making sothat you don't have to keep getting new motherboards. Also have had 5 Intel and only one has lasted over a year. All my AMD's have last over 3 years. And they also have 11.2 which nivida doesn't. And Games like LOTRO and SWTOR crash when doing SLI , but when doing Cross-Fire x no problems at all (and the fps is great.)

so you buy something and dont want to get all the power you can get from it? weird :P

we are talking about reference r9 290x's here.  if you want to overclock a reference board then most likely you are watercooling or cheaped out and got the cheaper reference card.  people who want to overclock get the none reference boards with much better cooling. you will be able to overclock just fine with the none reference 290x.

The Seiki Digital is like 700 usd :P 4k TV @[member='120hz'] 

Most TV's have way slower response times than monitors especially a cheap one like your talking about, do you really game with 40" anyways thats way to big for me lol. When I use tv's as monitor i feel like a get a delayed slightly delayed response compared to my benq. This being cheapest monitor out atm, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236338

Edited by 0nly1Fear

Most TV's have way slower response times than monitors especially a cheap one like your talking about, do you really game with 40" anyways thats way to big for me lol. When I use tv's as monitor i feel like a get a delayed slightly delayed response compared to my benq. This being cheapest monitor out atm, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236338

i cant stand monitors bigger than 24"

Whats is mantle?

Read this:

A Look into AMD’s Revolutionary Mantle API The basic problem: Game developers face two programming challenges

Making games that run and play well on PCs is an enormous challenge. That’s largely due to the fragmented nature of the gaming industry.

Traditionally, each game console has operated on different graphics architecture from the next, and each of those consoles differed substantially from the graphics hardware available in the latest PC video cards. That meant that the time and effort expended in developing a game for one platform couldn't be re-purposed to another. Adding new platforms multiplied the programming effort required.

Programmers get around the compatibility problem by relying on higher-level programming interfaces that get adopted as industry standards. A PC maker can make sure their products support these standards, and  programmers can write for them.

That helps solve the compatibility challenge. But these high-level interfaces aren't nearly as efficient as the lower-level programming techniques that happen in consoles. Consequently, PC games aren't making as good use of the hardware as they could be, and powerful hardware is what PC gaming is all about.

54196A_Mantle_Lockup_black-456W.png

The solution: a unified industry

The preeminence of the Graphics Core Next architecture in many of the new generation of game consoles is the hardware answer to these concerns, unifying the console ecosystem (and much of the PC market) under a common graphics architecture.

Mantle is the software component that makes it easy to apply programming techniques and optimizations written for consoles to PC’s with GCN architecture. The chasm between consoles and PCs has been closed. 

Mantle is the harmony of three essential ingredientsMantleLarge-200W.jpg

1. A driver within the AMD Catalyst™ software suite that allows applications to speak directly to the Graphics Core Next architecture
  2. A Graphics Core Next GPU, like the AMD Radeon™ R9 Series, R7 Series or HD 7000 Series GPUs
  3. An application or game engine written to use the Mantle SDK

What it means: better, faster games

While the initial iteration of Mantle is intended specifically for PCs, it has been designed from the beginning to be extensible to other platforms.

Mantle aside, the gaming industry’s practical standardization on the Graphics Core Next architecture alleviates a considerable burden on developers. They can now be significantly less concerned with learning the intimate inner-workings of half a dozen graphics architectures, which affords them with the opportunity to spend more time and effort making their games better. 
Games that will or already do support Mantle include Battlefield 4, Star Citizen and Thief, with many more on the way. The Nitrous game engine from Oxide will support Mantle, and all future games built on the Frostbite3 game engine from EA will support Mantle; that’s well over a dozen upcoming titles right there, and the list will grow. Watch this space.

Source: http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/mantle/Pages/mantle.aspx

Edited by area51Brett