Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

All,

I came across an article a little while back while I was tuning my system for BF3 and I thought I would share what I learned with you.  Before I read the article, I didn't really know what I was looking at with respect to the performance meter, but now that I know I've found that it can be a handy tool and useful for providing insight into how your system is performing with the Frostbite 2 engine.  Although I haven't seen it yet, I suspect Frostbite 3's performance meter will be similar.

Variable used to show the performance meter:  

(entered using either the console (~ key) or by inserting the lines into your user.cfg file)

Render.PerfOverlayEnable 1
          Render.PerfOverlayVisible 1

BF3-render-perfoverlayvisible_zps1b75f33

Green line = GPU (video card) performance

Yellow line = CPU performance

Bottom red horizontal line = 0ms (time zero)

- Vertical (from zero) = increasing response time

Red horizontal lines = 20ms

Red vertical lines = 3-second intervals

What this example chart shows is that this guy's GPU lags his CPU in average processing time by about 8ms.  In other words, his GPU is his system's bottleneck.  Also, no lag spikes are present during this roughly 3.5 second time window.  From what I can see (based on the average GPU processing rate (in milliseconds), this guy is churning a smooth 55.5 FPS (a nice picture on a 60Hz monitor).

Later, I will post a screenshot of my performance meter for comparison (can't b/c I'm @ work right now  ;) )

war

FPS = 1/processing time in seconds   (in this case 1/0.01803)   18.03 ms = 0.01803sec

Edited by =ADK= warspite

As promised, here's a pic of my perfmeter in game on the Kharg Island map.

bf32013-09-1817-59-08-50_zpsa445114e.jpg

Frames are capped at 117FPS, and my CPU/GPU are pretty closely matched.  Looking at the math, even though I've capped my FPS at 117, the average frame rendering time of 8.40ms gives me an average FPS of 119.1, which is pretty close to the monitor's refresh rate.  With my frames capped here (in BF3's user.cfg), I get a vsync-like screen (very smooth, no stuttering or tearing) with absolutely no input lag.  Truly the best of all worlds.

When capping your FPS in software, it pays to check the math to make sure that you're getting what you think you're getting.  Note dat lag spike... I've tried everything under the sun to be rid of them, but they are here to stay.  Fortunately, they don't take away from the game.

war

Edited by =ADK= warspite

Looks pretty good as the meter is showing a constant curve. So when you play game you must not notice any significant drops in FPS. I'll have to take a look at this meter since I sometimes have some drops. Thanks for the tip.