Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
FailApprentice

BF4 FPS

Currently in my setup I have a MSi GTX580 Lightning Xtreme (That I can't OC above what it's at, it crashes constantly and I have no idea why. Spent days trying to OC and the max it would go was +45). I run BF3 on low settings because there's physically no difference between Ultra and low besides shadows, sun shadows, and water/glare.

My question is, with my GPU do you think I can run BF4 fine? I currently get from 90-180 + FPS on low. I'm afraid with the big 64 vs. 64 fights my fps will drop below 60-90 even on low and I don't want to go below 60 otherwise it starts to stutter. 

Rig info:

• Mobo
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
  • Processor
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz OC to 4Ghz
  • Graphics
    MSI N580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition
  • PSU
    CORSAIR HX Series HX1050 1050W
  • RAM
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB)
  • Storage
    Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD3000HLHX 300GB 10000 RPM
  • Audio
    On board
  • Monitor
    SAMSUNG S23A700D Black 23" 2ms
  • Case
    COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition
  • Peripherals
    Logitech G35

My rig is almost 2 years old and with video cards, I knew after about 3-4 years is borderline for changing. I'm assuming when BF4 comes out that I'm going to see a 20-30% FPS loss based on the upgraded frostbite engine/surroundings. Any info would be great! :)

- FailApprentice

Fail,

I think you are in great shape with your core components.  My 2nd gaming rig runs a 2500K and it STILL kicks gaming ass, even with its GTX 580 OC aboard.  Remember, there are still lots of folks playing on systems with cards that are no where near as good as yours.  Here is my advice to you.  

1. Save your pennies and keep playing with your settings on LOW (all the pros do  :) )

2. Play the beta and see how things go.  Don't make a final judgement on how BF4 is going to work on your current rig b/c the video card drivers for BF4 beta will be immature and far from tweaked.  Drivers for new AAA titles don't often mature until the 2nd or 3rd version after the game is released.

3. Let at least the first or second driver version AFTER BF4 is released dictate your buying decision.  You may find (nobody knows yet) that your rig will do just fine as is.  If so, look at the $ you saved.

4. If you determine that you do need a new card, now you will probably have even more $ saved by then and can get the card you WANT instead of a lesser card.

Don't get caught up in the hype.  Make an informed decision based on the difference between how your system performs and how you want it to perform.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

war

Fail,

I think you are in great shape with your core components.  My 2nd gaming rig runs a 2500K and it STILL kicks gaming ass, even with its GTX 580 OC aboard.  Remember, there are still lots of folks playing on systems with cards that are no where near as good as yours.  Here is my advice to you.  

1. Save your pennies and keep playing with your settings on LOW (all the pros do  :) )

2. Play the beta and see how things go.  Don't make a final judgement on how BF4 is going to work on your current rig b/c the video card drivers for BF4 beta will be immature and far from tweaked.  Drivers for new AAA titles don't often mature until the 2nd or 3rd version after the game is released.

3. Let at least the first or second driver version AFTER BF4 is released dictate your buying decision.  You may find (nobody knows yet) that your rig will do just fine as is.  If so, look at the $ you saved.

4. If you determine that you do need a new card, now you will probably have even more $ saved by then and can get the card you WANT instead of a lesser card.

Don't get caught up in the hype.  Make an informed decision based on the difference between how your system performs and how you want it to perform.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

war

War is right, the i5 2500k is in no way obsolete or outdated. I am still rocking that puppy and if I really need to I can push that baby to 5ghz on air and let it burn before I think about upgrading.

GPU wise sounds like your card is already OC as it is. I looked it up and compared it against another card and the core speed is higher then the EVGA standard 580. You shouldnt have any issues running bf4. The only thing I would consider upgrading is the GPU. And even then wait until the game comes and see how it does first.

I still run an i5 2500K and I have no plans on upgrading for a good long time. Fantastic performance, and overclocking ability for the price. Most games are GPU heavy anyways, with the exception of Minecraft and Planetside 2 (Which is CPU and GPU heavy, oddly enough.)

Slightly off topic, I can notice a massive difference between low and Ultra on BF3, and I play on High at 60 fps. However I'm a casual player.

Edited by Worst Garen NA

If you are super concerned and money is an issue then SLI.

I run 2 x 580's (SLI)  which is roughly equivalent of a 680 on the testing floor.

its fairly cheap to grab one, I got mine for 150$ on ebay.

The only issue is whether or not the games you play will utilize SLI.

...Save your pennies and keep playing with your settings on LOW (all the pros do  :) )...

Doing my research and this seems to be true. Why is that? Aside from the obvious answer that their rigs can't handle it most of the pros I see play have awesome rigs. I max this thing out at 1080p and I'm starting to think I'm doing it wrong lol. 

I also can't play with colorblind to save my life. Maybe I was not meant to become pro /cry

Doing my research and this seems to be true. Why is that? Aside from the obvious answer that their rigs can't handle it most of the pros I see play have awesome rigs. I max this thing out at 1080p and I'm starting to think I'm doing it wrong lol. 

I also can't play with colorblind to save my life. Maybe I was not meant to become pro /cry

I think what they actually do is use "high" settings for textures and minimize the eye candy (shadows, smoke, explosion effects, etc.).  Maxing the textures gives them better resolution of the scene at long distances.  Minimizing the eye candy boosts FPS while at the same time reducing distractions and other visual clutter.  Essentially, they want max FPS while minimizing anything that would obscure their targets.  I'm oversimplifying a little, but that's the basic premise.

war

What warspite said.

I was involved in the Competitive scene before it mostly died. You did your best to have high fps while boosting things such as Draw Distance and minimizing effects. There was a lot more than that done but that's just the tip of it.

Almost all the one's I know played on Low Settings during Comp Matches.

What warspite said.

I was involved in the Competitive scene before it mostly died. You did your best to have high fps while boosting things such as Draw Distance and minimizing effects. There was a lot more than that done but that's just the tip of it.

Almost all the one's I know played on Low Settings during Comp Matches.

Any inside info you would like to add regarding BF3 settings that would give those in the community an edge (w/o hax ;) )?  If you're willing and you feel this isn't the right place for such a thread, please create one and link us to it.  Thanks!

war

Any inside info you would like to add regarding BF3 settings that would give those in the community an edge (w/o hax ;) )?  If you're willing and you feel this isn't the right place for such a thread, please create one and link us to it.  Thanks!

war

Well Elegy has his extensive guide somewhere on these forums, I thought it was pinned?

Here you go though: 

http://www.adkgamers.com/topic/10038-pt2-optimization-maximization-intensification/?hl=elegy

Playing in low setting is pretty much dumb, the suns brightness is always the same. And that brightness setting seems to be set at The Pit of Mordor.

Most competitive team players did it, its one of the reasons  why we could easily rape players like you in game :) that and its not just brightness....

Turning off network interpolation works well.

Makes animations a bit jittery but gives you near perfect hitboxes. Turning off vsync as well as prerendered frames will help reduce input delay which will give you an edge even though you may not feel it.

You're getting there :)

I think what they actually do is use "high" settings for textures and minimize the eye candy (shadows, smoke, explosion effects, etc.).  Maxing the textures gives them better resolution of the scene at long distances.  Minimizing the eye candy boosts FPS while at the same time reducing distractions and other visual clutter.  Essentially, they want max FPS while minimizing anything that would obscure their targets.  I'm oversimplifying a little, but that's the basic premise.

war

I tried it today when I came home for lunch...holy shitbuckets. WTF HAVE I BEEN DOING? My monitor is only 60hz but when I lowered all the settings the game still looked wonderful AND it felt like moving my hand through water. It was amazingly smooth gameplay. Now I'm gonna get into Bf3 tweaking it seems...

Turning off network interpolation works well.

Makes animations a bit jittery but gives you near perfect hitboxes. Turning off vsync as well as prerendered frames will help reduce input delay which will give you an edge even though you may not feel it.

This is what I'm going to try next. Mostly because of this:
 2784995055.png

I read part one of the guide Nova posted and great mother of fuck nuggets...joined the noshar server and went on a 20-0 rampage. o.O First match of the night from work lol, could be a coincidence but couple this response with the smooth gameplay and now everything makes fucking sense. God...I'm mind blown.

Here is my treat:

qF1qcUR.gif
Edited by JerryDVP

Playing in low setting is pretty much dumb, the suns brightness is always the same. And that brightness setting seems to be set at The Pit of Mordor.

Funny!  Dat sun...  I'm sure my character has skin cancer by now.  

Edited by =ADK= warspite

My artacal about all of this should be up soon when AOB puts it up :D

Are you going to be showing NEW tweaks or just going over the current ones discussed in this thread?

The only problem with getting dual 580s nova is I have the 3GB 580 and it's OC'd from MSi so I'd need to find another 3GB? Or would a 2GB by fine?

Nova/warspite are both correct about low settings

Grim i love your trolling

Huehue

The only problem with getting dual 580s nova is I have the 3GB 580 and it's OC'd from MSi so I'd need to find another 3GB? Or would a 2GB by fine?

Nova/warspite are both correct about low settings

Grim i love your trolling

Huehue

I Googled around a bit and there seems to be some compelling evidence that the answer to your question is NO, at least from the EVGA perspective.  You can check this forum here.  Best case, you will only have a 1.5GB frame buffer as the SLI array will only address the amount of memory that both cards have in common.

When thinking SLI, always  go for matching cards... same vendor and even the same BIOS if possible.  SLI can be twitchy enough as is (b/c of driver/SLI profile issues), you can only help yourself by matching the vendor and BIOS versions of the card.

As always, my advice is to ebay your 580 and put that $ toward the best single card solution you can afford (unless you're the kind of guy who likes to live dangerously).   ;) 

war

Edited by =ADK= warspite

As for as the GB issues goes, with 2 you are fine. Why do think most cards are still rocking 2gbs? Because unless you start going up in the higher resolutions (meaning ABOVE 1920x1080) you arent going to really need that extra 1gb of memory. You might see a 2 fps increase. Whoop-dee-doo. Not worth your money or time.

But in your situation the 2gb card will lower the capacity of the 3gb card to 2gb to match each other. Like war said, SLI is ballsy enough, dont poke it with a stick any more then you have to. 580 is a capable card. Hang on to it, see how it does in BF4, and then upgrade. Trust me it will be able to play, it might not at ultra, but you will manage until your new card comes in.

I am in the process of making a guide on computers in the same Tech Talk section. check it out, its still in progress though.

^ Fella up there is correct. I am running 3gb and rarely use that much according to MSI afterburner. A couple hours of googling will teach you that though. :)

Sign in to follow this