Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

They do have thousands of other customers but you will always be a customer of theirs in one form or another through network peering agreements with your new isp. The internet pool all of us swim in has to filled and all of the ISP's fill it together and share the water cost to keep filling it :D . The time it would take that one Time warner rep to convince you to stay is time that they would rather spend on the phone signing up customer like you who is unhappy with comcast.

Its our fault we have "bad" service as much as it is theirs for providing it. The internet has taken off at such a fast pace that the ISP's haven't put in place new infrastructure to keep up. People crave higher speeds because more is always better and excess is king. Internet bandwidth, by necessity, has been oversold. ISP's have 500 mb/s, but they sold 10,000mb/s, and all their buyers want the goods at the same time and immediately ;) . When areas get oversold outages, slow speeds, etc occur and people call, cancel, and/or complain.

Its a bad situation, and in my opinion, google isn't helping with google fiber. People see higher speeds as necessary, like they are missing out on something without it. When in reality most families could easily ride on a 20mbit connection. Sure ISP's and the Tier1 providers could taken out billions in loans to upgrade their infrastructure to provide gigabit to everyones home, but to what end. At this time there is absolutely no reason for a home user to need such bandwidth. The counter to my argument is that google built the roads so that someone will invent the cars.  I hope google fiber releases some usage reports and info soon because I would love to be proved wrong.

TL:DR - Ranting. The grass is always greener on the other side. If you give a mouse a cookie he will want a glass of milk.

So what ISP do you work for? I mean TWC has great services, it just seems they have no care for their customer. And I do agree with you that we don't need gigabit connections, because right now 15/1 is just fine for us and 20/2 would fulfill any average american's household needs. As for me I will be upgrading to 50/5 in a month or so and from what I've heard you actually get a consistent 50/5 connection, Though I wish I could get something like 75/25 so that I could upload and stream at higher speeds. Also don't you guys think you are missing the niche market of high speed internet like fios?

Edited by Area51Brett

They do have thousands of other customers but you will always be a customer of theirs in one form or another through network peering agreements with your new isp. The internet pool all of us swim in has to filled and all of the ISP's fill it together and share the water cost to keep filling it :D . The time it would take that one Time warner rep to convince you to stay is time that they would rather spend on the phone signing up customer like you who is unhappy with comcast.

Its our fault we have "bad" service as much as it is theirs for providing it. The internet has taken off at such a fast pace that the ISP's haven't put in place new infrastructure to keep up. People crave higher speeds because more is always better and excess is king. Internet bandwidth, by necessity, has been oversold. ISP's have 500 mb/s, but they sold 10,000mb/s, and all their buyers want the goods at the same time and immediately ;) . When areas get oversold outages, slow speeds, etc occur and people call, cancel, and/or complain.

Its a bad situation, and in my opinion, google isn't helping with google fiber. People see higher speeds as necessary, like they are missing out on something without it. When in reality most families could easily ride on a 20mbit connection. Sure ISP's and the Tier1 providers could taken out billions in loans to upgrade their infrastructure to provide gigabit to everyones home, but to what end. At this time there is absolutely no reason for a home user to need such bandwidth. The counter to my argument is that google built the roads so that someone will invent the cars.  I hope google fiber releases some usage reports and info soon because I would love to be proved wrong.

TL:DR - Ranting. The grass is always greener on the other side. If you give a mouse a cookie he will want a glass of milk.

youre talking about a double edge sword when it come to people not needing gigabit internet. no most people do not but if they did have it the amount of time downloading something decreases a lot therefor freeing up resources for the next person. 

youre talking about a double edge sword when it come to people not needing gigabit internet. no most people do not but if they did have it the amount of time downloading something decreases a lot therefor freeing up resources for the next person. 

@[member='cbrunnem']

You are right and wrong, Yes a user would be putting the load on the system for a shorter time. but then the ISP has to run fiber to every house.

So what ISP do you work for? I mean TWC has great services, it just seems they have no care for their customer. And I do agree with you that we don't need gigabit connections, because right now 15/1 is just fine for us and 20/2 would fulfill any average american's household needs. As for me I will be upgrading to 50/5 in a month or so and from what I've heard you actually get a consistent 50/5 connection, Though I wish I could get something like 75/25 so that I could upload and stream at higher speeds. Also don't you guys think you are missing the niche market of high speed internet like fios?

I didn't work for any of the big name companies, just a little a guy. If your asking why tech support tends to have no care its probably because of what they deal with all day. Internet and TV has become such an integral part of our lives that people can't live without it, and techsupport agents are the targets of a lot of wrath over lost facebook and honey boo boo time. Do you know anyone in your neighborhood with the same connection you're going to get? That's the true measure of what you will be getting quality and speed wise.

We have tried offering higher high speed but they are a pain in the ass for a lot of reasons I listed before. A primary reason is because we are a small ISP and can't afford to buy the bandwidth from our provider that would be needed for the plans and the hardware.

Secondly and more dear to my heart is the mental cost of supporting these plans. In our experience the people that pay several hundred dollars a month for extremely high speeds are not fun to deal with. 

I didn't work for any of the big name companies, just a little a guy. If your asking why tech support tends to have no care its probably because of what they deal with all day. Internet and TV has become such an integral part of our lives that people can't live without it, and techsupport agents are the targets of a lot of wrath over lost facebook and honey boo boo time. Do you know anyone in your neighborhood with the same connection you're going to get? That's the true measure of what you will be getting quality and speed wise.

We have tried offering higher high speed but they are a pain in the ass for a lot of reasons I listed before. A primary reason is because we are a small ISP and can't afford to buy the bandwidth from our provider that would be needed for the plans and the hardware.

Secondly and more dear to my heart is the mental cost of supporting these plans. In our experience the people that pay several hundred dollars a month for extremely high speeds are not fun to deal with. 

Yea that's true, Tech support agents take a lot of sh**. Nobody that I know of has the extreme plan, My one neighbor has the 3/1 plan and my other neighbor doesn't even have TWC for an ISP. As for my other neighbors I have no clue, My zip code is 53189. 

COX CABLE

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2952155555.png

Will be almost twice that pretty soon.  

Thanks @[member='cbrunnem'] it is people like you that make my job as a sales guy with Cox Cable hard........lol.

COX CABLE

Thanks @[member='cbrunnem'] it is people like you that make my job as a sales guy with Cox Cable hard........lol.

Nice speed man, I only have 15/1 now and I will soon be getting our ISP's (TWC) highest plan of 50/5. 

As an insider of cox do you know if they will ever come to wisconsin?

COX CABLE

haha its going to take more then just a few people to spread the knowledge.  with SSD's becoming more popular gigabit internet will be of a viable option for the general public.

haha its going to take more then just a few people to spread the knowledge.  with SSD's becoming more popular gigabit internet will be of a viable option for the general public.

We have started to build out more with fiber to the home (with some of the new communities being built), and with everything going IP in the near future our speeds will be in the gigabits soon.   Plus coaxial cable can go much faster then we are currently using it at, plenty of room to grow.  

Nice speed man, I only have 15/1 now and I will soon be getting our ISP's (TWC) highest plan of 50/5. 

As an insider of cox do you know if they will ever come to wisconsin?

Unfortunately it does not work that way.  Each Cable company is set to certain areas.  So we may already be in Wisconsin, but if we are not in your area, the only way that we would get there is if we bought the company that is currently there.  

It makes it hard out here when customers move one city over and cant use us, but the FCC has set it up this way for a reason........???

We have started to build out more with fiber to the home (with some of the new communities being built), and with everything going IP in the near future our speeds will be in the gigabits soon.   Plus coaxial cable can go much faster then we are currently using it at, plenty of room to grow.  

Unfortunately it does not work that way.  Each Cable company is set to certain areas.  So we may already be in Wisconsin, but if we are not in your area, the only way that we would get there is if we bought the company that is currently there.  

It makes it hard out here when customers move one city over and cant use us, but the FCC has set it up this way for a reason........???

ok, yea time warner is pretty big, I don't think anyone would be buying them :(. There is a rumor that they will be releasing a 100mbit plan soon.

Not sure what the relation of SSD's to internet bandwidth is.

Not sure what the relation of SSD's to internet bandwidth is.

Most normal hard drive can not sustain write speeds in the gigabit range. Especially laptops. 1 gigabit is roughly 125 megabytes and some just can't write that faster on a long download. A ssd can sustain much higher write speeds that would come with gigabit and higher. Now for normal browsing you'll never see the difference most of the time.

ok, yea time warner is pretty big, I don't think anyone would be buying them :(. There is a rumor that they will be releasing a 100mbit plan soon.

Well another well known cable company.....i may or may not work for.......is rumored to be upping there speeds soon too, and it will be higher then that................

Haha you guys have to use blackboard learn. That sucks

Yea I know, it sucks. We use that and google drive to share and send our stuff to our teachers. Our school got the grant to get iPads for every student so I guess it's all in prep for the iPads. I personally hate iPads so this won't be fun the next 3 years of high school.

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3127332148]3127332148.png[/URL]

Alaska is not a fun place to be an online gamer. And this trend for always online games is going to hurt.

Edited by Godofdrakes

3127332148.png

Alaska is not a fun place to be an online gamer. And this trend for always online games is going to hurt.

Oh wow, I wish I could share a little of my bandwidth with you. Unfortunately that's not how it works.

Best of all the wiring in out building is crap so when it gets wet our network connection will slow down or stop altogether. We've been without internet for two weeks once.