Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

So we all know what speedtest.net is and we all know that you use it to measure your internet speed with it. Now to create a little bit of competition I made a Speedwave. Now most of you are probably going, what? And I was to, but basically it is a grouping of speed tests done by a set of people who have access to the speedwave via the public link (at the end).

Just to get conversation going let me show you my speed...http://bit.ly/ZE8RrS

2744349551.png

Edited by Area51Brett

I live in a quiet little town with a full fiber optics network provided by our utilities company.  Also since it a city service owned by the subscribers it costs less than most people pay for half it's performance ...  :D

Yea, here it cost's $80/Month for 50/5 and that's the fastest you can get. I only have 15/1 right now though.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, Doesn't Comcast have crap customer service.

adk_1374891651__1289306930_rollercoaster

i have had great success with comcast. i do that 6 month trial with them every 6 months. you get mid level cable and 25 down 15 up for 80 bucks. i just call and complain every 6 months saying i cant afford more then 80 bucks and they restart my trial. this has been going on for 2 years now going on 3.

i have had great success with comcast. i do that 6 month trial with them every 6 months. you get mid level cable and 25 down 15 up for 80 bucks. i just call and complain every 6 months saying i cant afford more then 80 bucks and they restart my trial. this has been going on for 2 years now going on 3.

I might have to do this

I might have to do this

Yea we called our cable company, Time Warner Cable, and we threatened to cancel with them and they were like "cool, let me hook you up with that department". There was no want in keeping us as a customer, after all they do have tens of thousands of other customers.

yeah its pretty easy. at this point i dont even threaten them at all. its just hey i cant afford this shit. takes about ten minutes.

Yea TWC are ******, They don't do that.

Yea we called our cable company, Time Warner Cable, and we threatened to cancel with them and they were like "cool, let me hook you up with that department". There was no want in keeping us as a customer, after all they do have tens of thousands of other customers.

They do have thousands of other customers but you will always be a customer of theirs in one form or another through network peering agreements with your new isp. The internet pool all of us swim in has to filled and all of the ISP's fill it together and share the water cost to keep filling it :D . The time it would take that one Time warner rep to convince you to stay is time that they would rather spend on the phone signing up customer like you who is unhappy with comcast.

Its our fault we have "bad" service as much as it is theirs for providing it. The internet has taken off at such a fast pace that the ISP's haven't put in place new infrastructure to keep up. People crave higher speeds because more is always better and excess is king. Internet bandwidth, by necessity, has been oversold. ISP's have 500 mb/s, but they sold 10,000mb/s, and all their buyers want the goods at the same time and immediately ;) . When areas get oversold outages, slow speeds, etc occur and people call, cancel, and/or complain.

Its a bad situation, and in my opinion, google isn't helping with google fiber. People see higher speeds as necessary, like they are missing out on something without it. When in reality most families could easily ride on a 20mbit connection. Sure ISP's and the Tier1 providers could taken out billions in loans to upgrade their infrastructure to provide gigabit to everyones home, but to what end. At this time there is absolutely no reason for a home user to need such bandwidth. The counter to my argument is that google built the roads so that someone will invent the cars.  I hope google fiber releases some usage reports and info soon because I would love to be proved wrong.

TL:DR - Ranting. The grass is always greener on the other side. If you give a mouse a cookie he will want a glass of milk.