Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

All,

As my sig says, I have a RAT-7 wired mouse which has been pretty good so far.  I also have one of those big Steele Series mousepads that a good pilot could probably land a plane on.

That being said, I feel like I'm getting into situations where when I need to shift my aim quickly or correct my aim quickly to follow a moving target, I over compensate (and thus overshoot) because either the mouse is too heavy (creating too much momentum, so I can't stop quickly and accurately), or the friction between the mouse and the mouse pad is such that it takes so much force to break it loose (break the static friction) that once the mouse starts moving, it's tough to stop it precisely.  Once the mouse is moving, it moves smoothly (the dynamic friction is okay).

Just want to know what some of you guys think about this issue and whether or not a new (lighter) mouse might be the answer.

war

P.S.  I feel like if I had to compare my mouse to a car, it would be one of those Cadillac "land yachts".  Smooth, but not nimble.  Comfortable, but it doesn't handle well.

I have an old MX-518 that I blew the dust off of.  It was my very first gaming mouse and it's still in pretty good shape.  I will give it a whirl and see how it goes.  More to follow!

war

Thanks for the words, guys!  I installed the MX-518 and its drivers.  I haven't had much of a chance to game with it, but just using it on my desktop it feels more precise and works much better now that I have a better understanding of how to tweak mouse sensitivity and disable acceleration.

war

I have always used a track ball.  You lose the ability to have all the different buttons and such, but gain the ability to move a lot faster in all directions without having to worry about running out of mouse pad.  My trackball mouse has four buttons which i have found is more then enough for me.  

http://www.quill.com/trackballs/cbs/216898.html?cm_mmc=SEM_PLA_216898

This is just a quick link to what they look like, cost they are pretty low.  

Also if you are interested in one, they also have the trackball on the left and right side, but i find it is easier to move around with it on the top, giving your thump to hit the two buttons on one side and your middle or ring finger controlling the ones on the other side.  

I have seen some with more then four buttons if you are willing to do a little searching and spend a little more money.  

I use a G500 and have no complaints its a great mouse. I used to have a razer mouse, never again.

Here is a newer g700, but has no customizable weights:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Gaming-Mouse-G700/dp/B003VAM32E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360799930&sr=8-2&keywords=g500

And the older g500 which is a winner to me always:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G500-Programmable-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B002J9GDXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360799930&sr=8-1&keywords=g500

for me the g500 is the best. I would buy it again without hesitation.

Can't beat the G series for the cash. The 500 is awesome (had one too), and for the cash it is hands down the best for the cash, no argument on that aspect.

My right button went out, so only able to get a MS sidewinder as I needed asap ($75)... Good mouse (weights, different feet) but the g500 is better  

The G500 is very nice. It is also the mouse I currently use. I have heard really good thing about the R.A.T though. Doesn't it have weights that you can put in and take out to adjust the overall weight?

I have a RAT-7 wired mouse and the answer is yes, the RAT does have weights you can add (although to me, it is plenty heavy without them).  It also have several different grips and adjustments that you can tweak so that it fits your hand to your liking.

My only wish is that I would like the RAT to be lighter... for me, it's just too damn heavy (without the weights added).  I get why some want a heavy mouse, but to me wanting a heavy mouse flies in the face of the quick response that most FPS gamers seek.

My problem is that with a heavy mouse, it takes considerable effort to break it free from rest, and when you want to stop, you often overshoot and have to correct to get back on target.  This is what drives me nuts with the heavy mouse, but others may not have this issue.  

I'm always looking for good ideas...

war

I use a G500 and have no complaints its a great mouse. I used to have a razer mouse, never again.

Here is a newer g700, but has no customizable weights:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Gaming-Mouse-G700/dp/B003VAM32E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360799930&sr=8-2&keywords=g500

And the older g500 which is a winner to me always:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G500-Programmable-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B002J9GDXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360799930&sr=8-1&keywords=g500

for me the g500 is the best. I would buy it again without hesitation.

Grimm,

What's your beef with Razer mice and why would you never buy one (I've never owned one myself)?  They seem immensely popular.

war

Edited by =ADK= warspite

I have owned a razer death adder and honestly after I got the G500 the deathadder just seemed so much lower in quality.

The Razer was very hollow feeling as if it wasnt made of much. The side grip was a smooth polished plastic which made it hard to grip. Then there was the button lay out...there were only two thumb buttons and they really didnt do a great job.

Then i got the g500, i paid 20 dollars less for it and it has a ton of features that I use all of and love. First of the grip is textured and not smooth so i can hold it better, the razer use to slip on me. Then the G500 feels study and solid with the additional benefit of having adjustable weights. Then you have the DEDICATED sensativity buttons that let you change on the fly. The deathadder made you choose between special functionality or changing the DPI. With the G500 i still have 3 thumb buttons at my disposal. Then there is the hyper scroll. Click the button and flick the scroll wheel one time, and away you go...Like a fireworks on Chinese new years. O and the G500 has lights to show you what sensativity you are on. And on board memory which retains all your settings such as DPI and button binds.

This was quick type, im really tired, but I hope that made sense. get the logitech, you will not regret it.

In defense of the Death Adder

There are a number of very good razers, although the price you pay for them will usually make you remember that you did. 

The Deathadder is an exception since it is usually pretty reasonable, and is lightweight, which is good for a twitch-use.  We have 4 gaming level machines in the house, and that is what we typically use when twitch or flying is an important factor.  Large-hand friendly, lightweight, accurate, and actually, if you are flying, we find the thumb buttons allow a very fine dexterity in flight-path and prefer them.  I have never actually lost control of a mouse because of its 'surface' but then, maybe I don't use a mouse that is heavy enough that that has been a concern.

In other words, never had the issue Grim seems to have with it, however, I WILL say that one thing we have seen is that over time, some units will lose the scroll-capability of the middle mouse.  This is irritating if you use it for every day use or zoom.  While in a regular mouse I would simply throw it away, in a $40-50 mouse it makes me want to go to their offices and say 'I can get a scroll button on a mouse that works for 9 bucks...Why can't you do it for 5 times that?'.  

Death Adders owned: 6.  Scroll screw-ups, 2.  Next planned gaming mouse purchase: Death Adder.

I have the rat 7, and i found that dropping my DPI to around 600 to 900 made my aiming better. I go to around 400 to 500 when i get into a tank or jeep, can't fly worth a shit. I would recommend setting up the different DPI modes.

In defense of the Death Adder

There are a number of very good razers, although the price you pay for them will usually make you remember that you did. 

The Deathadder is an exception since it is usually pretty reasonable, and is lightweight, which is good for a twitch-use.  We have 4 gaming level machines in the house, and that is what we typically use when twitch or flying is an important factor.  Large-hand friendly, lightweight, accurate, and actually, if you are flying, we find the thumb buttons allow a very fine dexterity in flight-path and prefer them.  I have never actually lost control of a mouse because of its 'surface' but then, maybe I don't use a mouse that is heavy enough that that has been a concern.

In other words, never had the issue Grim seems to have with it, however, I WILL say that one thing we have seen is that over time, some units will lose the scroll-capability of the middle mouse.  This is irritating if you use it for every day use or zoom.  While in a regular mouse I would simply throw it away, in a $40-50 mouse it makes me want to go to their offices and say 'I can get a scroll button on a mouse that works for 9 bucks...Why can't you do it for 5 times that?'.  

Death Adders owned: 6.  Scroll screw-ups, 2.  Next planned gaming mouse purchase: Death Adder.

I'm running a Death Adder 2013 now and I'm pretty happy with it.

I have always used a track ball.  You lose the ability to have all the different buttons and such, but gain the ability to move a lot faster in all directions without having to worry about running out of mouse pad.  My trackball mouse has four buttons which i have found is more then enough for me.  

http://www.quill.com/trackballs/cbs/216898.html?cm_mmc=SEM_PLA_216898

This is just a quick link to what they look like, cost they are pretty low.  

Also if you are interested in one, they also have the trackball on the left and right side, but i find it is easier to move around with it on the top, giving your thump to hit the two buttons on one side and your middle or ring finger controlling the ones on the other side.  

I have seen some with more then four buttons if you are willing to do a little searching and spend a little more money.  

Up your sensitivity? 

I'm also using the Razer "Goliathus" speed mouse pad as well.  I'm at 1,000 DPI on the Death Adder, with the mouse sensitivity slider in BF3 at about 20% (give or take)... all other settings are stock.  Seems to work okay for me.

Not a Razer fan boy by any means (although my hardware choices may make that tough to defend   :) ), but the mouse and pad were readily available at the electronics store near me, and the prices weren't too bad, so I went with them.

war

I'm also using the Razer "Goliathus" speed mouse pad as well.  I'm at 1,000 DPI on the Death Adder, with the mouse sensitivity slider in BF3 at about 20% (give or take)... all other settings are stock.  Seems to work okay for me.

Not a Razer fan boy by any means (although my hardware choices may make that tough to defend   :) ), but the mouse and pad were readily available at the electronics store near me, and the prices weren't too bad, so I went with them.

war

yea DA's are good but the only prob i have is the mouse wheel always getting weaker and weaker cause its my push to talk button 

Like some, my preference is a trackball. I've been using a Kensington Expert mouse for some time and still love it for precision.

Only drawback is being limited to 4 buttons and you need to clean it once a week. No big deal for me.

I as well use a deathadder, but unlike most I dont use a mouse pad of any sort, at first the handling of my mouse was extremly fast on this slick surface, but once I had some time to get used to it, but it seems to work fine for me.  As to why I use a death adder, its simply because that is what I have gotten used to and I am also so used to using the razer synapse configurater that I havent had much of a reason to try new things lol.  I am not disputing that there are most likely other peripherals that are better, I am just comfortable with what I am used to, kind of a dont fix whats not really broken sort of deal lol.

Also, does anyone think I would benefit from using a mousepad, I quit using one when my old one wore out years ago and was to lazy to go into town for one and got used to it.  It's been so long I really cant remember how it feels to have my mouse on a pad.

I run with the G9x, i love the adjustable weight feature but my steelseries mouse pad is not as smooth as it could be, so i'm looking at different options, maybe someone on here as a suggestion as to what works great for them ?