Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
ZeroDark30

Video Card Sickness

Hey guys, a new thread for you techies, technical genius's, and pc pro's. Had a nice nvidia card fry on me, well on one pc. So i put my card into that machine and bought a lower end card for my game pc......bbaaaaddd. It was AMD and ,wait...i know ... i know. but hear me out. It did a good job on most games I was playing but performs moderatly on ps2. The pc isn't high end but runs most stuff well except ps2. I know ps2 is a little tougher on avg. pc's but can a higher end card give a performance boost if my mother boards bandwidth is average? Also level for level (low end, mid range, high end) is the general concensensus Nvidia over AMD? [attachment=953:ps2nclogo.pngzero.png]

The only input I can give on this is from my maybe 2 or 3 hours playing PS2. Not my cup of tea.

Anyways, my system is in my signature and I get fantastic framerates on that game. Zero lag, ever. You mentioned something about a higher end video card with a low bandwidth motherboard, and yeah you should do fine. I've got a 670 which is fairly high end in my personal opinion (3rd best NVidia card on the market) and my motherboard is mid-range at best. I'd personally consider it low-end. Fortunately however I'll be upgrading to a Z77 and i7 Ivy Bridge come tax time.

Your basic PC components (CPU, mobo, RAM, etc.) are probably fine for most of today's games, especially since you are running a quad-core CPU.  An upgraded video card should help you lots, but before you upgrade make sure your Power Supply (PSU) can handle it (watts-wise) and that you have the necessary cables to support it.

Some video cards require two 8-pin connectors, some require one 6-pin and one 8-pin connector, etc.  I recommend at least a 550W power supply of good quality (by a major vendor) for any PC with a modern mid-to-high end graphics card.

Checklist:

- Ensure you PSU can handle the new video card (recommend 550W minimum)

- Make sure your PSU has the necessary power connectors or that you have adapters on hand (sometimes come with the video card... ENSURE YOU CHECK THIS!)

- Don't use the old drivers that come with the card.  Before you swap out video cards, ensure you download the latest drivers for your new card and have them easily accessible (on your desktop or something)

- BEFORE you remove your old video card and install your new one... UNPLUG YOUR PC AND LET IT SIT FOR AT LEAST 30 SECONDS!!!!

You need a power supply. Spend the 25-30 bucks on a corsair 430watt

For a video card, you can't go wrong with a 660ti, anything beyond that, and your i5 might be capped.

Sign in to follow this