Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Prophet

Best ISP - Suddenlink

This internet is the best I've ever had! :)

2450903570.png

<_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<

DW it says ur still f aster that 78% of the us. LOL. Some people must still be using dial up.

Edited by 0nly1Fear

This is the best speed i've have gotten. This is also what my internet package is suppose to be at.

2234047446.png

Average for most people is 10-20mb/s depending on their provider and package.  I'm on the 2nd tier package from my provider which is the local utilities company.  They decided it would be cool to lay fiber optic cable through the whole town and I agree :D  lol.  I pay $49 a month for my internet and love it.

Here's mines, I have CommunistCast (Comcast).

Speed_zps217b8f25.png

It's okay, I guess.  The cable modem they provided is crap, though.

war

Looks like you have the same package as I do, and both are below the advertised specs. I do own my own modem, but it had to be Comcast approved so either way not the best available. 

Looks like you have the same package as I do, and both are below the advertised specs. I do own my own modem, but it had to be Comcast approved so either way not the best available. 

I just order the Motorola SB6121.  Should have it on the 7th.  Wanted to get mines up to DOSIS 3.0 in order to be IPV6 compliant (whenever that happens), plus my current modem (Motorola SB5100) is kind flaky at times.  I've read that activating them can be a little problematic, but I will have my act together when I get started.  More to follow on that.   :mellow: 

I hope I get the same benefits others have gotten by upgrading to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

war

I switched to Time Warner, impressed so far..  I get 50mb down and 5mb up.  That's a big upgrade from U-verse which maxed out at a measly 18/1.5

Don't believe AOB's results!!  He photoshopped that image!!  He was jealous when he found out how fast my new internet was!

I have a Motorola SBG6580 (built in wireless router) that is DOCSIS 3.0. 

No issues getting it going, as Comcast logs into your modem and updates the firmware while your on the phone. I did have a HUGE slow down issue for a few days. When I called, as forums stated sometimes Comcast has to force updates because the modem may have not update properly, the tech stated they needed to "synchronize all my internet components" (guess they meant nodes). It worked, but I would guess they really forced a modem update.

As you can see by my above specs and from using their modems before, not a huge performance increase but I think works better with less issues over all. Plus not $5 a month rental charge.

I just order the Motorola SB6121.  Should have it on the 7th.  Wanted to get mines up to DOSIS 3.0 in order to be IPV6 compliant (whenever that happens), plus my current modem (Motorola SB5100) is kind flaky at times.  I've read that activating them can be a little problematic, but I will have my act together when I get started.  More to follow on that.   :mellow: 

I hope I get the same benefits others have gotten by upgrading to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

war

What 3.0 benefits are you referring to?  You'll still be limited to whatever package you have with your cable company.

I have an Arris DOCSIS 3.0 with built in wifi and its pretty flaky as well.  I may be switching to a Motorola soon.  Please let me know how the SB6121 is!

I have a Motorola SBG6580 (built in wireless router) that is DOCSIS 3.0. 

No issues getting it going, as Comcast logs into your modem and updates the firmware while your on the phone. I did have a HUGE slow down issue for a few days. When I called, as forums stated sometimes Comcast has to force updates because the modem may have not update properly, the tech stated they needed to "synchronize all my internet components" (guess they meant nodes). It worked, but I would guess they really forced a modem update.

As you can see by my above specs and from using their modems before, not a huge performance increase but I think works better with less issues over all. Plus not $5 a month rental charge.

Sweet!  Do you use the built in wifi on the SBG6580?  If so, how is it?

Sweet!  Do you use the built in wifi on the SBG6580?  If so, how is it?

Yes I do!

On par with any gaming router I have used in the past. The set up (reviews online complain about it too) for best wireless performance is a bit cumbersome, more so if you have little to no experience. For a tech savvy person, only takes an hour or so as the default settings are terrible. With the kids computers all over the house (upstairs, basement, PS3 etc) I have had no issues from the modem. I did have it overheat once when I had papers leaned up against it. So my model requires it to be out, not in a cabinet or otherwise restricted and nothing with in a few inches of the sides. Never had that issue since.

Honestly very happy and surprised with the performance. 

On a note, in order to get my WHS to properly be seen out side my network consistently I had to add the IP to the DMZ. With W8 and skydrive eliminated that requirement I had to access files from it outside the network, eliminated the need to DMZ the IP. 

What 3.0 benefits are you referring to?  You'll still be limited to whatever package you have with your cable company.

I have an Arris DOCSIS 3.0 with built in wifi and its pretty flaky as well.  I may be switching to a Motorola soon.  Please let me know how the SB6121 is!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

Basically unified firmware/software for networking a cable based ISPs customers as the data transmitting language. 3.0 version is the newest, and best. But yes, bottom line the ISP still sets the specs and load balancing when needed.

Upgrading from a 2.X version may not give you better upload/download speeds but should still give you better performance and as it updates your modem should accept them until 4.0 comes out. I have noticed my connection seems faster, even if the numbers don't support it. I would guess it is faster and more efficient on data translation allowing better use of the bandwidth.

Jiz,

You are right, my new modem won't give me bandwidth beyond the tier I'm paying for.  I bought this modem b/c DOCSIS 3.0 modems are IPV6 compliant (DOCSIS 2.0 modems aren't), which is where the Internet is headed one of these days.  When that is, no one knows, but already several domains exist that are IPV6 compliant and the list is growing daily as IPv6 networks offer security enhancements that aren't possible under IPv4.  It never hurts to be ahead of the curve on such a big change.  

Another benefit of upgrading my modem is that my new one has four up and down channels, vice the single up and down channels of my SB5100.  While this means that I won't have bandwidth that exceeds my service tier, it does mean that my bandwidth will be far more stable (at least that's what most of the customer reviews and my own research says).

In addition to the benefits of 4-channel up/down bonding, the new modem is also capable of 100MB/s up/down bandwidth, as opposed to my SB5100's 30MB/38MB per sec up/down bandwidth.

So: DOCSIS 3.0 (IPv6) compliance, 4x up/down channels, improved bandwidth stability, and 100MB/s up/down bandwidth capacity are good reasons to upgrade from my old modem.  The SB6121's capabilities make my LAN a little more future-proof and if Comcast ups my tier's bandwidth or if I opt for a higher tier of service, my modem will be able to handle it and give me the full benefit of the service.

I will certainly let you guys know how my new modem works out!  (including getting it up and running on Comcast)

war

Edited by =ADK= warspite

i had speed tests that were .5 - 25Mbps when i lived in new mexico and after about 2 hours and 4 techs came to the apartment they figured the only thing it could b was the wiring in the apartment and the owner wouldnt let them upgrade it. im sure that uve already had that checked and if so then its jsut that suddenlink is really that bad

Sign in to follow this