Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Konvict1982

Buying A New Keyboard Tomorrow ... Hopefully ... Suggestions?

Update to my update to my update...

Well, it seems that the  CM Storm QuickFire Rapid is also on the "endangered species" list.   After ordering, I received an automated text from Amazon.com last night telling me that it, too would not ship for 1-2 months.  What the hell is it with Brown Cherry MX switches?  Evidently, some elf in a cave somewhere is hammering these things out at a rate of 1 or 2 per day.

Finally, I decided on the Noppoo Choc Mid 87 USB (NKRO Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Cherry MX switches BLUE/RED Color Character [BROWN switches + Black body]).  Although this one only has two reviews, their other models have several and they look pretty good.  I'll give it a try and provide you guys with some feedback.  It arrives tomorrow, so I should be able to put together a decent review over the weekend.

I have to admit, even an operation as savvy as Amazon.com can be a pain in the ass to do business with sometimes.  Having to cancel two items b/c I'm advised after I place my order that the shipping time is an estimated 1-2 months is unsat.  Might as well be never as far as I'm concerned.  I guess that's what we customers have to deal with as Amazon.com becomes an increasingly fragmented online outlet (it uses an increasing number of 3rd party retailers).

Oh well.  More to follow.

war

That is weird I just checked Amazon and it shows they have 18 CM Storm Quickfire Rapid keyboards with brown cherry switches in the warehouse ready to ship.  If your latest keyboard also runs into issues I would suggest contacting their customer service department since this sounds a bit weird.

That is weird I just checked Amazon and it shows they have 18 CM Storm Quickfire Rapid keyboards with brown cherry switches in the warehouse ready to ship.  If your latest keyboard also runs into issues I would suggest contacting their customer service department since this sounds a bit weird.

Yeah, funky things do go on there at times I suppose.  I thought it was crazy that in a space of two days, the price of the Black Widow went from $115 to $196.  That's some serious gouging there!!!  Granted, the seller (not Amazon) did that, but still that's a pretty crazy price swing.

Hopefully my Noppoo will do well.  The name sounds silly as hell (Korean in origin maybe?), but their products do have some solid reviews.  It should be here today... barely ahead of the massive snow storm that's bearing down on us here in New Bedford, MA.  Just in the past two days, the forecast went from 4"-6" to 18"-24".  Good thing I have an awesome snow blower!!!  I'm getting too damned old to shovel any more.  :o 

My Noppoo review is coming shortly!!!

Stay tuned for more drama as it unfolds...  :o 

war

Looking forward to your review on the Noppoo keyboard also :) I've been meaning to try out a mechanical keyboard, I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to type on one yet and I hear nothing but good things about them as well as their gaming capability.

All,

Here's my long-awaited review on my Noppoo Choc Mid 87 (tenkeyless) keyboard.  

I ordered my Noppoo from Amazon.com because the others I wanted (see above) were impossible to order and weren't otherwise stocked in stores near me.  Once you get past the name and focus on the keyboard itself, there is a lot of goodness to see.  Picture 1 (below) shows that the keyboard was well packaged and it was delivered from Amazon on schedule (2 days).  Even the box itself is smaller than many gaming keyboards out there.  This is a definite plus if you have limited desktop real estate.

20130207_181546_zpsd750a0bd.jpg

I'm not really sure why I went with a tenkeyless (compact) design, but since I never use the number pad anyway, it seemed like a smart thing to do.  Now that I've had it for a short while, I'm getting to like the extra space on my desk and its small form factor makes it easier to push out of the way if I'm doing paper work or otherwise need the desk space.  Inside the box, the smart packaging continues.  You can tell the manufacturer took extra care to protect the keyboard during shipping.

20130207_181821_zps69f3af33.jpg

The picture below shows the full contents of the box, which is limited to the keyboard, a key removal tool, and a spare F12/Windows Lock key.  As far as the Windows lock key goes, accidentally pressing the Windows key has never been a problem for me.  Maybe others have their keys bound differently, but it is interesting that this is problem worthy of including into keyboard design.

20130207_181913_zpsc9390393.jpg

The keyboard itself seems to be of solid construction.  It has significant heft, and doesn't feel cheap or "plasticy" despite its small size.  It has soft rubber feet that prevent it from moving around the desk whilst gaming and little snap-out legs that will tilt the rear of the keyboard if desired.  This keyboard employs a minimalist design, so it works seamlessly with Windows' native drivers and uses standard polling rates.  The keyboard features:

- Original German Cherry MX Brown mechanical switches
- Blue color characters on the key caps
- ABS key cap, comfortable and durable.
- 87 Keys (tenkeyless)
- USB connection NKRO (N-key rollover) conflict-free typing performance
- Multi-Media Keys (Volume up/down, Next/Previous, Mute)
- WIN key lock function (helpful for gaming)
- Narrow frame design
- Compatible with Windows

As far as I can tell, the keyboard does what it is supposed to and it requires no special drivers.  It doesn't have the 1KHz USB polling rate, but for a gamer of my caliber that isn't an issue.  I like the feel of these keys.  They seem very solid and reliable.  I think Cherry did a good job balancing the function of the Brown keys between gaming and typing.  I do quite a bit of both and it's nice to have keys that balance those efforts.  The Brown keys lack the loud "click" that some of the other Cherry keys have, so they cut down on the number of scowls I would otherwise get from my GF (now fiancee :)  ) as I bang away during especially tense rounds on the Caspian server.  You can learn more about mechanical keyboards and the types of keys they use (and other useful stuff, such as info on the effectiveness of high polling rates) here.

To keep this article from putting you to sleep, I will now get to the bottom line... would I recommend this keyboard.  I've only used it for about a week, so I don't have a long-term impression.  But, from what I can see so far, the keyboard seems well made and it should work just fine for years to come.  Keep in mind that this is a minimalist keyboard in every sense of the word... no macro keys, no special drivers, no 1KHz polling rate, and no backlighting.  This keyboard seems to work well for FPS games, but due to its lack of programmable keys, it may not be the best for MMOs or games requiring complex key combos.  I recommend this keyboard to anyone who both games and does a significant amount of typing.  It is also great if you want to save desktop real estate, have a keyboard that is easily moved out of the way, or don't need high-end features such as backlighting and programmable keys.

If a well made minimalist keyboard is what you're looking for, the Noppoo may be the one for you.

war

Sign in to follow this