Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Konvict1982

Buying A New Keyboard Tomorrow ... Hopefully ... Suggestions?

So my Logitech G110 has been acting up on me lately.  I finally had enough of it today during a TDM match on Kharg where it was not responding properly at all.  I would have to hit my movement keys multiple times to get myself running and often times it wouldn't let me change directions without multiple taps.  Also my knife hot key rarely works these days without locking my knife into my hand.  It isn't just games either.  I regularly have to go back through posts and add letters that I know I typed but they didn't register.  

R.I.P Logitech G110 you servered me well for 3 years.

Any suggestions for my next mechanical keyboard?  Budget is $50-$100.  May go to Bestbuy tomorrow and look around.

Ive had a steelseries 6gv2(Melted keys on accident) and now my current keyboard coolmaster cmstorm. Both great keyboards, id suggest purchasing off of amazon bestbuy is gonna rip you off. I prefer black, brown or red switches. Blue switches have the annoying clicks. Steelseries keys started wearing because they are painted on, while cmstorm cant really fade at all because its painted over.

SteelSeries-6G-3.jpg

Cooler-Master-CM-Storm-QuickFire-Pro.jpg

Edited by 0nly1Fear

Ive had a steelseries 6gv2(Melted keys on accident) and now my current keyboard coolmaster cmstorm. Both great keyboards, id suggest purchasing off of amazon bestbuy is gonna rip you off. I prefer black, brown or red switches. Blue switches have the annoying clicks. Steelseries keys started wearing because they are painted on, while cmstorm cant really fade at all because its painted over.

SteelSeries-6G-3.jpg

Cooler-Master-CM-Storm-QuickFire-Pro.jpg

I looked at the quickfire pro some but it is a little higher than my budget ... I may go with the quickfire rapid though.  The Steelseries 6vg2 has always seemed a little over priced to me compared to other keyboards of the same quality.  Current choices i am looking more into are Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition, CM Storm Quickfire Rapid, and Corsair vengeance k60.  Any other recommendations are highly appreciated.  

Corsair K90...

Cherry mx RED keys FTW

Beautiful keyboard but above my budget and way more keys than I need lol.  Both the corsair k60 and CM storm quickfire also have cherry red switches.  For the BlackWidow I am guessing mechanical black switches but that is just a guess.

I'm also in the market for a new keyboard... I'm considering Cherry Brown switches, if only b/c they offer a little more resistance than the red keys and I'm afraid that if I go Red, I will bang the hell out of them b/c I've used crappy keyboards that require a hard press all my life.  I wish there was a place where I could try a few out and pick the one I like best, but I have no idea where such a place is.   :(

I'm also in the market for a new keyboard... I'm considering Cherry Brown switches, if only b/c they offer a little more resistance than the red keys and I'm afraid that if I go Red, I will bang the hell out of them b/c I've used crappy keyboards that require a hard press all my life.  I wish there was a place where I could try a few out and pick the one I like best, but I have no idea where such a place is.   :(

You can do like me and check your local best buy to see what gaming keyboards they have.  Im going to Huntsville today because the bestbuy there supposedly has multiple gaming keyboards featuring red, black, brown, and blue switches I can tryout then order the one I like.

I ended up going with the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid w/ red switches and black body and got next day shipping so I will have it tomorrow...

http://www.amazon.com/Storm-QuickFire-Rapid-Mechanical-SGK-4000-GKCL1-US/dp/B0068INSUM

This will be my first CM Storm product so hopefully it will be a good experience.

Let us know!!!!! i use cheap boards and a cyber snipa game pad for playing as I have large fat fingers and the keyboard keys get in my way of the one I meant to push.

WAR... Hurry and get one so we can read your review all ready!!!!!

HAHAHA!  Yes I will write a product review later this week after I play with it a bit.  I will make notes and take pictures.  I know War does awesome reviews also so maybe between the two of us we will give some people ideas.

My totally amazing GF bought me one of these yesterday...

razer-bwu-2013_zps4c9377af.png

It should be here Tuesday!  I can't wait to start killing you guys with it!!  :D 

war

Edited by =ADK= warspite

My totally amazing GF bought me one of these yesterday...

razer-bwu-2013_zps4c9377af.png

It should be here Tuesday!  I can't wait to start killing you guys with it!!  :D 

war

Be sure to post an awesome review for us.  The Blackwidow was one of my pics when I was shopping around but I ended up going with the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid

Be sure to post an awesome review for us.  The Blackwidow was one of my pics when I was shopping around but I ended up going with the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid

Thanks for asking! I sure will!  :)   The one I'm getting is the 2013 Edition.

war

I tried that one out (not the 2013 edition) at Microcenter. LOUD, LOUD, and LOUD, and only had red switches which are WAY to easy for my fat butt to push... Tried a no name with brown? and was better but still very, very, very LOUD.

I tried that one out (not the 2013 edition) at Microcenter. LOUD, LOUD, and LOUD, and only had red switches which are WAY to easy for my fat butt to push... Tried a no name with brown? and was better but still very, very, very LOUD.

I hear ya!  I'm always hearing people's mech keyboards when they talk in TS... you can even hear them in many of the youTubers' videos.

P.S.  My GF hates  loud keyboards... I can't help but see storm clouds brewing on the horizon.  :o 

Edited by =ADK= warspite

I hear ya!  I'm always hearing people's mech keyboards when they talk in TS... you can even hear them in many of the youTubers' videos.

P.S.  My GF hates  loud keyboards... I can't help but see storm clouds brewing on the horizon.  :o 

LOL I am 75% deaf so noise does not effect me WAHAHAHAHAHA!

Update...

Since I ordered the keyboard on the 3rd, the price of it has jumped from $115 to $196 (on Amazon.com).  Also, estimated time to ship is 1-2 months.  What that means to me is that I got my price ($115), but my keyboard is wrapped up in the 1-2 months to ship bin.  So, I cancelled my order and I'm back in the hunt for a keyboard.

More to follow...

war

Edited by =ADK= warspite

Update...

Since I ordered the keyboard on the 3rd, the price of it has jumped from $115 to $196 (on Amazon.com).  Also, estimated time to ship is 1-2 months.  What that means to me is that I got my price ($115), but my keyboard is wrapped up in the 1-2 months to ship bin.  So, I cancelled my order and I'm back in the hunt for a keyboard.

More to follow...

war

Well that sucks ... Good luck though!

Update to my update...

After some research and soul  searching, I've decided on the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid (with Cherry MX Brown keys).  It's rated at 4+ stars after 150+ reviews... a pretty good sample size (one of the better ones out there).  It isn't backlit and it's tenkeyless (I don't use those extra keys anyway), but by all accounts it should be a good keyboard.

It can be a PITA to get, so hopefully the purchase will go smoothly.

Again, more to follow.

war

Update to my update...

After some research and soul  searching, I've decided on the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid (with Cherry MX Brown keys).  It's rated at 4+ stars after 150+ reviews... a pretty good sample size (one of the better ones out there).  It isn't backlit and it's tenkeyless (I don't use those extra keys anyway), but by all accounts it should be a good keyboard.

It can be a PITA to get, so hopefully the purchase will go smoothly.

Again, more to follow.

war

Only difference between the one you are looking at and mine is the switches.  I went with red.  I love mine and the only question I ever really get is "Why such a basic keyboard?"  My answer is simple ... I don't need all of the extra keys like the number pad and macro keys.  Less keys on the keyboard means more space around my keyboard.  

I think you will be extremely happy with the Quickfire Rapid.

Only difference between the one you are looking at and mine is the switches.  I went with red.  I love mine and the only question I ever really get is "Why such a basic keyboard?"  My answer is simple ... I don't need all of the extra keys like the number pad and macro keys.  Less keys on the keyboard means more space around my keyboard.  

I think you will be extremely happy with the Quickfire Rapid.

I hope so too!!!!  :)

Update to my update to my update...

Well, it seems that the  CM Storm QuickFire Rapid is also on the "endangered species" list.   After ordering, I received an automated text from Amazon.com last night telling me that it, too would not ship for 1-2 months.  What the hell is it with Brown Cherry MX switches?  Evidently, some elf in a cave somewhere is hammering these things out at a rate of 1 or 2 per day.

Finally, I decided on the Noppoo Choc Mid 87 USB (NKRO Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Cherry MX switches BLUE/RED Color Character [BROWN switches + Black body]).  Although this one only has two reviews, their other models have several and they look pretty good.  I'll give it a try and provide you guys with some feedback.  It arrives tomorrow, so I should be able to put together a decent review over the weekend.

I have to admit, even an operation as savvy as Amazon.com can be a pain in the ass to do business with sometimes.  Having to cancel two items b/c I'm advised after I place my order that the shipping time is an estimated 1-2 months is unsat.  Might as well be never as far as I'm concerned.  I guess that's what we customers have to deal with as Amazon.com becomes an increasingly fragmented online outlet (it uses an increasing number of 3rd party retailers).

Oh well.  More to follow.

war

This topic scares me as I have a Logitech G110 coming in the mail in the next few days o.o
You didn't have any problems for 3 years though? Hopefully mine'll be alright.

Also, for shipping estimates, those are usually (in my experience) highly exaggerated. I've gotten things weeks and days before the estimated shipping date, not even the delivery date :P However 1-2 months is pretty ridiculous.

Another edit: The mailman rang my bell just as I finished this post- keyboard is here! XD

Edited by Blastbeats

This topic scares me as I have a Logitech G110 coming in the mail in the next few days o.o
You didn't have any problems for 3 years though? Hopefully mine'll be alright.

Also, for shipping estimates, those are usually (in my experience) highly exaggerated. I've gotten things weeks and days before the estimated shipping date, not even the delivery date :P However 1-2 months is pretty ridiculous.

Another edit: The mailman rang my bell just as I finished this post- keyboard is here! XD

Yeah you should be good for at least 2 years with it.  I loved the G110 for the 3 years I had it.

Sign in to follow this