Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
CaGregorio

Solid State Internal Hard Drive

Only thing left to upgrade in my computer is my hard drive.

I currently have two SATA drives 1TB each. The first drive is mostly windows files, while the second is for programs. I was looking to upgrade them to a faster one. I have software to transfer all information over so that i dont lose anything in the process.

My motherboard has four 3 GB/S and two 6 GB/S SATA connections.

I have been researching hard drives and had questions. SSD drives seem to be a lot more money for not as much space. Is it worth upgrading to them??? Or maybe just upgrade the hard drive running Windows to a SSD and the other one to just a normal (but faster) hard drive.

Making the change from SATA/SAS over to an SSD provides a very dramatic performance increase, but it in reality comes down to whether or not you have the a need/desire that outweighs the added cost / lowered quota that comes along with that. Upgrading the drive with the Windows partition on it would give you a much better overall performance with the OS itself, and if you could move over installed programs onto that drive it would likewise give you that benefit for those apps. You could keep your SATA drives on the 3 GB/s ports and use them for documents/music/movies.

Have any SSDs in mind? Edited by llnpotato

Nowadays there's plenty of SSDs set at a moderate price-point as compared to only a few months ago. You can easily grab a 120gb SSD for $90-ish if I remember correctly (I haven't checked in a while) which has plenty of room for all of your Windows files plus a couple of programs if you want. If you need more space, or don't need as much, it isn't too big a deal to get a different size and still be just fine.

paid 65 each for my 120gb crucial M4's that I run in raid 0.

Are they fast? they are the only thing aside from going from low end graphics to high end that will blow your mind with speed.

Once again SSD comes down to preference.

Pro's: 

Faster then a standard hard drive

Should last longer with less chance of failure

HUGE increase in OS support with W8

Cons:

Small form factor (doesn't fit in most cases with out an adapter or putting in a floppy spot if your case is that old)

Price versus space

HUGE variance is actual performance. just like RAM settings and nuances each brand and type (model) can have large differences with read and write speeds depending on files size etc.  

Firmware has a lot to do with performance with older and other OS's

I had the extra cash so I got a 250GB myself, and run new standard H/D's for my programs. Yes, OS loads few seconds faster and Chrome is faster then my internet connection (program opens then waits for required info). Few games I have installed run faster by a few seconds. Now the bad part: My overall performance is not really effected, yes game loads faster so I can wait just as long for the counter to count down in M/P games, so no edge what so ever, FPS is the same, Ping is the same, and looks the same.  I rarely turn off my PC since W7 so start up time is irrelevant to me, and only a few non-gaming programs truly benefit (Office is nice as it loads faster). I would not buy one again unless it was at least a TB or larger and mainly for the consistency of performance over a normal H/D slow down as it ages. Running an OS faster, mainly to boot faster, seems a completely waste of money IMO. Installing and removing programs repeatedly with Windows Registry and horrible removal tools/software just clogs up causing major performance degradation anyways, so running a larger modern hard drive versus a small SSD will keep a steady performance longer then an SSD (unless you like messing around with regedit and windows files) if you do find you are constantly adding and removing programs.

A lot of people, including myself, fell into the hype and while I don't regret it as I got 250GB I would have given it away ASAP if it was under a 100GB as that would have been worthless for my requirements.

Hype and miss conceptions! The companies have to make their R&D money back!

I picked up a Samsung 830 a few months ago and absolutely love it. The samsung ssd's have one of the best controllers and they just came out with the 840 series which is even better. If you want your programs to load fast as hell get one they really aren't that pricey anymore. Also the bigger the drive the faster it is so if you can afford a 256g get one of those.

Thank you.  I think i am going to wait a little while and see if they go down more in price and up in capacity.  

Not going to make that much of a difference.

Thank you.  I think i am going to wait a little while and see if they go down more in price and up in capacity.  

Not going to make that much of a difference.

The difference between a "fast" ssd and a slow are very minimal in my experiences..Of course, I say this because of what hardware I do have! hah

Sign in to follow this