Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
llnpotato

What is it you do?

Hi! Curious - What does everyone around ADK do with life?

I'm sure a lot of you are students or still in grade school - I'm in my fifth year of an engineering degree program and ended up taking a leave of absence about a year ago to work for myself pretty much. Anyone have any crazy stories or end up with some crazy situation with life they'd like to share?

Currently a semester away from getting my associate's degree in teaching. Well. I won't be finished with my classes in a semester, but they're going to give me my degree anyway. I just gotta finish the last class or two in the summer.

2nd semester Freshman in college majoring in theater then probably going to make math my major and theater my minor. and crazy life situation......nope Edited by Mushmon

Well... my situation lately has been sorta borked...

To start it all off, when I was at my old house I was living there with my mom, brother, and sister. They moved out, to move in with my mom's boyfriend so it was just me staying there and my grandma owned the house so there was no rent. I get fired from my job for a really stupid reason (not having my shirt tucked in when I clock in, wasn't in "official uniform"). Next day, a really good friend from the Air Force came into town for 10 days, so I just had a few friends living there for a few days and we "happened" to party... a lot... 5 parties in 4 days, over $150 spent in alcohol each night. It was a really big house, 2 stories, 2 living rooms, dining room, kitchen, computer room w/ staircase, bathroom, and upstairs had 4 large bedrooms. Anyways. 5th morning, grandma shows up with the cops. Kicks me out. No one registered on the breathalizer so no one got in trouble. Throughout all this, my dad gives me no help. I tell him that I didn't have anywhere to go, I was homeless for 2 days, and all he said was "so you aren't going to be able to pay for your phone this month?"

After that, I move in with one of the girls that showed up to all the parties for about a month and a half, during which I found another job. Shortly after, my mom hits me up, shit didn't work out with her guy, she finds a place and I move in with her. Little bit after that 2 friends of mine find a place, 2 bedroom, full finished basement. They ask me to move in and I can have the whole basement to myself so I go. Bout a month later the girl I had been trying to get with for about 7 or 8 months at the time starts hanging out with me a lot, staying the night again and such (she used to at the house my grandma owned) ... we finally start dating, few days later while we're asleep, at 7am a drunk driver hits her car on the side of the road and totals it, then runs. I offer to let her use my car because she's got a full time job and goes to college which is about 10 miles away.

Not long after this ordeal, we move back into my mom's place, with the intention of saving for a place of our own. Goes well for a while, then shit starts to get sour. My birthday was the 14th of this month (December) and, of course, Christmas is the 25th. We end up splitting up on the 20th. Then I get fired from my job because my alarm doesn't go off so it's a no-call/no-show. Merry Christmas and Happy Fucking Birthday. Edited by desdiinova

[quote name='desdiinova' timestamp='1356441485' post='61322']
That ended up being a whole lot longer than I thought it was xD
[/quote]

Seems like you've had a rough last few months, desdiinova. Just stay positive, things can usually only get better!

[quote name='Kryxi' timestamp='1356425363' post='61314']
Currently a semester away from getting my associate's degree in teaching. Well. I won't be finished with my classes in a semester, but they're going to give me my degree anyway. I just gotta finish the last class or two in the summer.
[/quote]

Math?! Good luck! I was going to minor in math but switched it up due to time constraints sadly.

[quote name='s0ck37' timestamp='1356416587' post='61304']
dept of defense.
[/quote]

What field?

[quote name='llnpotato' timestamp='1356469455' post='61338']

What field?
[/quote]

Prefer not to say, or talk publicly about it. Look at what part of the country I am in, and draw conclusions from there :P

[quote name='llnpotato' timestamp='1356469455' post='61338']
Seems like you've had a rough last few months, desdiinova. Just stay positive, things can usually only get better!
[/quote]

Yeah, it's been tough for sure. I'm tryin, just not really seeing anything for the time being.

[quote name='s0ck37' timestamp='1356469863' post='61339']
Prefer not to say, or talk publicly about it. Look at what part of the country I am in, and draw conclusions from there :P
[/quote]

Arizona, hmm? CLEARLY you're defending us from the imminent attacks that will be coming from Canada in the near future!

[quote name='Hoole' timestamp='1356457098' post='61327']
vent boy.

I'm an armed security professional for a classified energy company. Freshly out of the Army.
[/quote]

What exactly is "classified energy"?
:D

[quote name='Hoole' timestamp='1356457098' post='61327']
vent boy.

I'm an armed security professional for a classified energy company. Freshly out of the Army.
[/quote]

How long were you in the Army for? That's always been my fallback in life if school/company didn't work out.

[quote name='Hoole' timestamp='1356521642' post='61446']
sometimes you make me want to punch a small wallaby in the nose...or taint...hard.
[/quote]

Dude, ouch!

Currently work as a Senior Systems Administrator for a company in California. Don't have a degree but I learned the tech side in the Army, I was in for 4 years.

At work mainly deal with our VmWare cluster, just upgraded to ESX 5.1. Got that shit running on a few Net-apps.

[quote name='umadAtJROD' timestamp='1356809240' post='61993']
Currently work as a Senior Systems Administrator for a company in California. Don't have a degree but I learned the tech side in the Army, I was in for 4 years.

At work mainly deal with our VmWare cluster, just upgraded to ESX 5.1. Got that shit running on a few Net-apps.
[/quote]

Pretty interesting, do you have experience with any other virtualization software? With my job I handle numerous OpenVZ and Xen installations - obviously not in the exact same ballpark as VMware but still cool I suppose!

After the Marine Corps I became a Computer Electronics Engineer was making retarded money but was bored as hell so I became an Auto Mechanic. When I started as a general tech (Oil Changes and Tires) I diddnt even know how to change change brake, With in a year I was the shops lead Tech pulling and rebuilding Motors and Transmissions and also the Shops VA State Safety Inspector and Emissions Inspector and Shop Foreman. I also taught myself to weld so I do all the Shops fabrication work. Its a hell of a lot more fun then sitting behind a monitor and messing with the machines in a Clean Room for 14 hours a day.

My job now always reminds me of the old saying,
Do what you love and you'll never work a day!

[quote name='llnpotato' timestamp='1356648517' post='61643']
How long were you in the Army for? That's always been my fallback in life if school/company didn't work out.

[/quote]

Military Should NEVER be a fallback, It should be the Starting point IMO. Alot of places will hire you based soley on an honorable Discharge. It can be the edge you need over someone else to get your dream job. My Dream job WAS the Military and I miss the USMC every day. Where else can you Blow Shit up from over 18miles away with a 1960's era 155MM Cannon and be able to hit a port-a-john on the other side of a hill. In my case that shows the ability to work as a team and getting outstanding results with extreamely outdated tech. Employeers eat that shit up.

Well I am currently starting my 2nd year of a 4 year computer science bachelor degree at RMIT University. I am also a part time Security IT technician and part time Java debugger for other IT students on the side. I know not very morally right job to do for students learning programming but students in university pay good money for a perfect program and I don't do all the programming for them... they must give me a working source code and i'll just get rid of all their errors and bugs using their own programming ways.

I hear you, Vilefaith! I'm at my desk for about 95% of the day and that's the only thing I don't like about my job. It makes getting out for a run or to exercise so much better though. I'm thinking of trying out a standing desk haha. "Do what you love and you'll never work a day" - very true.

[quote name='Hueyness' timestamp='1356837352' post='62060']
Avionics Technion, in the USAF. Scary ain't, I fix planes for living.
[/quote]

Nice! A sibling of mine works on f15/c130s propulsion whatever in the USAF, something or another - I think going on 5 years. Small world! Edited by llnpotato

[quote name='Joey' timestamp='1356865001' post='62108']
Well I am currently starting my 2nd year of a 4 year computer science bachelor degree at RMIT University. I am also a part time Security IT technician and part time Java debugger for other IT students on the side. I know not very morally right job to do for students learning programming but students in university pay good money for a perfect program and I don't do all the programming for them... they must give me a working source code and i'll just get rid of all their errors and bugs using their own programming ways.
[/quote]

Hahaha, this hits close to home for me. Just be certain you're safe with any applicable plagiarism/code of conduct policies at your uni. That stuff can get tricky fast and I'm sure you wouldn't want to be harmed by any mixups/claims by another student ("Hey he broke my project!" can quickly become an issue with plagiarism even if you are not the one submitting the work). I've seen this happen to a few acquaintances as I studied for my comp sci/elec engineering degrees. Edited by llnpotato

Hahaha, this hits close to home for me. Just be certain you're safe with any applicable plagiarism/code of conduct policies at your uni. That stuff can get tricky fast and I'm sure you wouldn't want to be harmed by any mixups/claims by another student ("Hey he broke my project!" can quickly become an issue with plagiarism even if you are not the one submitting the work). I've seen this happen to a few acquaintances as I studied for my comp sci/elec engineering degrees.

I know and i've planned for it all, One of my minors is systems analysis which when used on this hidden away job of mine allows me to plan for every possible outcome. I've put much thought into it so hopefully i don't turn out like your acquaintances.

I graduated highschool, the first in my family. Then I went to university, also a first. After that, I became a pharmaceutical manufacturing associate and am applying for graduate school. Not interesting but that's about it haha

I graduated highschool, the first in my family. Then I went to university, also a first. After that, I became a pharmaceutical manufacturing associate and am applying for graduate school. Not interesting but that's about it haha

Pretty cool, nonetheless! Congratulations sir!