Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
xSteeLer

PC Questions (What to buy?!?!)

So I've been looking at stuff to buy for my PC, and I'm not exactly sure what to do. I know very little about PCs and just got mine this year. (Im the guy who pays $1000 for a PC that people tell me can be built for half that price)

So I saw a GTX670 on sale that I was interested in (have a 560ti atm), but I'm not sure if extra frames are worth it if I only have a 60hz monitor. I also want a seperate harddrive because I've heard its better to have a different harddrive to record to.

But with the graphics card (560ti) I am getting like 120 FPS while playing on low settings, but the game just feels "choppy." While it says I am getting really high FPS, the game feels worse than playing on PS3.

So anyway, is it worth getting a better Graphics Card if I only have a 60hz monitor, and is a seperate harddrive worth a buy?

Is your motherboard capable of SLI and can your Power Supply handle it? I myself have two 560 Ti's in sli, I play 1920 x 1080 in bf3 and put everything on low just to get the most FPS possible. I aswell only have a 60hz monitor. Your graphics card is only as good as your actual CPU, RAM, and Motherboard. You could have a 690 paired with a low end i3 or i5 and its not going to do the same as some of the better i7 set ups.

is this a prebuilt computer? like HP or Gateway? If so, get us the model of the PC and we should be able to track it down. That i5 is a decent CPU, if it turns out the mobo is crappy you might be able to use the RAM and CPU in a new motherboard and grab a decent GPU and another hard drive.

670 will increase the beauty while on low (I also game on low settings), and your post is an issue that many don't notice because they guess with high FPS everything is all right.

With a prebuilt, and IMO any PC, run the best single GPU you can afford.

Post your PC model and manufature along with your monitor info. As Patt mentioned you need to make sure your PC is balanced among all aspects as best as possable. SO far so good IMO to upgrade your GPU but need chipset, PSU info along with your monitor to see if the performance gain will be noticed and worth the cash to you.

And don't let the hipe fool yeah, a lot of prebuilts are with in the general price range of building your own, more so if you are getting extras for free and warranty that you don't get building your own!

OK I am out of town ATM but I'll look over to see exactly what I have when I get back. :)
My only problem is I bought my PC from a local place, and what they sell on their site changes so often. I wouldn't be able to find the exact thing I bought.

I think it was this (the motherboard):

[url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131824&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA"]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131824&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA[/url]

I might be wrong though.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VS247H-P-24-Inch-Full-HD-Monitor/dp/B005BZNDS0

thats the monitor ^

Monitor is good, I assume you are using the DVI cable (White one)? If not you need to, that will help.

If that is the mobo you have you are set there too, but await your return to get the rest of the info.....

[quote name='s0ck37' timestamp='1353684076' post='55532']
You will need a power supply if this is a prebuilt.

So please add that into the mix.
[/quote]

[color=#ffa500][size=4][font='comic sans ms', cursive]Yeah, that is the one place that you can almost count on a pre-built OEM skimping. The unsung hero of great gaming rigs, a solid power supply is always worth its cost. If you can, get one from a solid vendor and read the customer reviews. Big considerations are stability and reliability. Always get the best one that you can afford. [/font][/size][/color][color=#FFA500][font='comic sans ms', cursive]Another bonus is that once you get a good power supply, you can move it from rig-to-rig as you upgrade, so they are always money well spent.[/font][/color]

If Steelers PC has that mobo, more then likly it is not a dell or HP and his PSU MIGHT be okay. Some, like Ibuy power, may have a low PSU, but it might be enough yet.

According to Nvidia both GPU's require 500W PSU and 30 amp with both plugs. So spec wise they are the same power consumption.

Now SLI is different, and if Steeler has only a 500 watt PSU you will need to upgrade the PSU to SLI (if it has the plugs for it, a lot of lower watt PSU don't).

Being that your a guy that does competitive gaming I wouldn't do sli, there is more lag(not much but getting rid of every little bit helps if your pro) with 2 cards rather then just having one beast card. That's a nice card if u get it I've been wanting to get the same one just waiting for my 2 gtx460 to shit the bed or a big price drop.

[quote name='xSteeLer' timestamp='1353623153' post='55430']
So I've been looking at stuff to buy for my PC, and I'm not exactly sure what to do. I know very little about PCs and just got mine this year. (Im the guy who pays $1000 for a PC that people tell me can be built for half that price)

So I saw a GTX670 on sale that I was interested in (have a 560ti atm), but I'm not sure if extra frames are worth it if I only have a 60hz monitor. I also want a seperate harddrive because I've heard its better to have a different harddrive to record to.

But with the graphics card (560ti) I am getting like 120 FPS while playing on low settings, but the game just feels "choppy." While it says I am getting really high FPS, the game feels worse than playing on PS3.

So anyway, is it worth getting a better Graphics Card if I only have a 60hz monitor, and is a seperate harddrive worth a buy?
[/quote]

It isn't worth it to go above 120FPS with what you're doing. You won't gain any advantage, but you will gain some beautiful looks...I understand that comp guys play on low settings, so upgrading your card won't do much if you're not willing to bump the settings to really push the card.

Going to a larger 120hz monitor will gain some advantage in your game play, although slight, you will notice a ghosting difference. What size panel do you have now?

[quote name='s0ck37' timestamp='1353697981' post='55569']

It isn't worth it to go above 120FPS with what you're doing. You won't gain any advantage, but you will gain some beautiful looks...I understand that comp guys play on low settings, so upgrading your card won't do much if you're not willing to bump the settings to really push the card.

Going to a larger 120hz monitor will gain some advantage in your game play, although slight, you will notice a ghosting difference. What size panel do you have now?
[/quote]

24inch monitor if that's what you mean. It's just the with my current 560ti, I get weird "lag" even when the game says I'm getting 120ish FPS. I know it's not connection related because it gets even worse when I record.

[quote name='xSteeLer' timestamp='1353699395' post='55575']
24inch monitor if that's what you mean. It's just the with my current 560ti, I get weird "lag" even when the game says I'm getting 120ish FPS. I know it's not connection related because it gets even worse when I record.
[/quote]

What driver, what prog for recording, and what other resources do you have running in the background; ie: How much ram are you using, and how much vram are you using?

The 670 won't be a waste, it will be better; but no one could promise it could fix your issue. A monitor on it's way out, a crappy HDMI/DVI cable, a GPU eating all of it's vram, a crappy driver, all can have that effect unfortunately.

I will check that all tomorrow when I'm back. My monitor works fine for everything else and I have had it only 6 months, so I don't think that is the problem. I record with MSI Afterburner or sometimes Fraps. At least for the most part, I don't have much running in the background and I even close all browsers.

How long would a 560ti be able to keep up with new games anyway? I figure if I have to upgrade within the next couple years, might as well do it now to hope the issue fixes.

[quote name='xSteeLer' timestamp='1353703803' post='55591']
I will check that all tomorrow when I'm back. My monitor works fine for everything else and I have had it only 6 months, so I don't think that is the problem. I record with MSI Afterburner or sometimes Fraps. At least for the most part, I don't have much running in the background and I even close all browsers.

How long would a 560ti be able to keep up with new games anyway? I figure if I have to upgrade within the next couple years, might as well do it now to hope the issue fixes.
[/quote]

560ti isn't obsolete, that's for sure. Yea, moving onto the newer generation isn't a bad thing. Will it be world changing? Not on low settings.

What driver version are you using?

[quote name='s0ck37' timestamp='1353704944' post='55592']
560ti isn't obsolete, that's for sure. Yea, moving onto the newer generation isn't a bad thing. Will it be world changing? Not on low settings.

What driver version are you using?
[/quote]

No it won't, but as Sock said you will get a performance increase allowing for a higher ceiling, though your average will not increase FPS wise (I have a 670) but your overall performance will increase because the card will better handle ups and downs.

Yes, as a competitive player you want to stay far away from SLI/Crossfire. Some of the issues have been fixed but the fact remains you loose performance to gain FPS. FPS is NOT king....

Either your issue is GPU, driver, or communication (data traffic along your mobo or cable from GPU to your Monitor) .

Steeler posted his Monitor and it is a nice ASUS one, definitely not the issue unless he is running the "blue" cable instead of "white" one.

My wife had the same issue running sli'ed 460's on medium settings and seemed to get worse on low (more exaggerated). I upgraded her GPU to a single 670 and works a lot better. Her monitor is a dell 24" 3d ready so 120hz. But that doesn't mean a GPU would fix it in your case. I dought with your mobo your having communication issues, it should be able to handle more then your pushing through it. That leaves driver, GPU, or cable to the monitor. You could also try and pull your GPU and clean the PCI slot with air and clean your PC/GPU good while your at it, insure good connections and cables.

If it continues I personally would try another GPU, if you don't have one or able to borrow one I would take the chance and buy one.

This is assuming you defrag, clean up, and uninstall drivers before installing new ones (manual uninstall) to insure the best base to start testing and troubleshooting...

[quote name='=ADK= warspite' timestamp='1353685134' post='55540']
[color=#ffa500][size=4][font=comic sans ms', cursive]Yeah, that is the one place that you can almost count on a pre-built OEM skimping. The unsung hero of great gaming rigs, a solid power supply is always worth its cost. If you can, get one from a solid vendor and read the customer reviews. Big considerations are stability and reliability. Always get the best one that you can afford. [/font][/size][/color][color=#FFA500][font=comic sans ms', cursive]Another bonus is that once you get a good power supply, you can move it from rig-to-rig as you upgrade, so they are always money well spent.[/font][/color]
[/quote] Fully agree with this statement & wattage will be a factor in upgrading in the future... You want a decent amount of watts... I wouldn't go lower 750 to 800 watts personally... silver cert if you can afford it

I personally have a Antec 1200 watt, I love it. It fried on me twice, do to me grounding out a touch lamp sensor to the computer case. But I have never had an issue other than that. Antecs customer service is the best, they replaced it for me free of charge. First time I had to pay for shipping, the second time they payed for it and even offered to switch me to there newest model.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371032&Tpk=antec%201200%20tpq
I bought it back when it was almost $400, what I power... it was definetly worth the investment.

OK first off, thanks to everyone who took the time to help. I was looking at this one

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2577833&CatId=7387

but I search gtx 670 and lots of different ones show up. Would this be good?

Honestly, I couldnt say much about Galaxy. I havent heard much about them. They to me kind of come over as a lower end GPU maker. Not sure if anyone else has ever bought them. I myself have owned several PNY cards, gtx 465 and now the 560 ti, both bought at Best Buy.

[quote name='xSteeLer' timestamp='1353726256' post='55612']
OK first off, thanks to everyone who took the time to help. I was looking at this one

[url="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2577833&CatId=7387"]http://www.tigerdire...7833&CatId=7387[/url]

but I search gtx 670 and lots of different ones show up. Would this be good?
[/quote]

You want either the FTW, or the Gigabyte, the biggest reason being that they use the 680 PCB.