Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Bromance

Windows 8 Upgrade review

[quote name='Hoole' timestamp='1351892938' post='52403']
If you wanted windows 7 then why did you buy windows 8 knowing that it does not have a legacy style start menu? Once you stick with it the "windows+(insert here)" method of navigating around is pretty easy and intuitive....just gotta stick with it. Oh and if you want to find ANYTHING on your computer all you have to do is either click the pop up on the bottom left of your screen and start clacking away on your keyboard OR press "win+F" and start typing. Easier than windows, type, wait, wait some more, manually find it anyways.
[/quote]

I just found that the Metro way of loading apps was slower than the old start menu. Speed and efficiency are most important to me. The Metro Mode takes much longer to load than the old Start Menu and navigating it is much more cumbersome. Maybe I'm just not used to Metro, but I saw no good reason to exclude the old start menu.

The Metro UI is ok..I just haven't found any great use for it. I do like the live tiles..so I do go to metro to see my stock prices & weather.

Windows 8 has a lot more to offer than just the Metro UI such as:

1) Faster/less memory hog
2) Much better task manager
3) only $40 for Win8 PRO with RDP server support (vs $199 for win7 pro)
4) Links to your hotmail account for better security
5) Better system-wide search features

[quote name='Bromance' timestamp='1351897448' post='52410']
True, can't speak for Jiz of course, but Win 8 offers a whole lot more then the new GUI for a reason to upgrade, not to mention the price ATM to upgrade. But Win 8 has the old GUI still in the core, imagine a typical company wanting to upgrade... The training required would be huge (people still can't get around XP without issues who use a PC all day every day for work) so they built it in for them to set it in "normal" for that aspect.
[/quote]

Bingo, this is why I can't understand why Microsoft wouldn't at least make the old Start Menu optional ... I can see several businesses (including mine) that will not upgrade because of this training issue. Edited by jizackson

[quote name='=ADK= warspite' timestamp='1351794638' post='52243']
[size=4][font=comic sans ms', cursive]I did the upgrade (not a clean install) and other than the PB issue, it was flawless.[/font][/size]
[/quote]

My case was an upgrade as well. It was mounted on virtual drive and installed keeping preexisting user files. And I had issues previously stated.

couple weeks into it and running great. Some minor issues (When I die in BF3 get a black screen for a split second, like window opening?). Jiz was right on the money about slow loading, Generally don't require it but it is noticeable and kinda annoying. Setting your task bar up helps a lot but clutters the shit out of it., generally like a clean desktop, meaning few icons/shortcuts and task bar bare. Looks like not this round, but I do run dual monitors so have the space enough to keep it clean. Wish they kept the "start" button with metro. Just saying!!!! Search is amazing and works awesome way more so then any other Windows.