Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Pendersen

More then good, a great wireless headset...

Is it too much to ask for?  I don't get why they only ever seem to build them out of cheap plastic (that's a rhetorical question btw), or at the least why they cannot reinforce the cheap plastic with metal.

I know my head is fat, I mean, why wouldn't it be?  I'm extremely, tall, totally buff, drive awesome cars, and have a chiselled Matt Damon like face........  I'm not lying.....  Seriously....  I mean, it couldn't be because I have an overly large skull.

Starting to think I need to try to build my own, potentially a fools folly, but could be fun.
Or at least, rebuild my current 930's, new better interchangeable battery packs, try to boost power to the wireless antenna, and a nicer microphone,  plus no cheap plastic frame.

I agree. . . I mean headsets in general are all made of plastic these days.  Sure, we're supposed to be 'gentle' with our stuff, but sometimes things fall off the desk, go flying if you have them plugged in and you get caught in the cord.  

I haven't found a headset that I really like. . not sure I ever will  lol. 

1 hour ago, AOBLXIX said:

I agree. . . I mean headsets in general are all made of plastic these days.  Sure, we're supposed to be 'gentle' with our stuff, but sometimes things fall off the desk, go flying if you have them plugged in and you get caught in the cord.  

I haven't found a headset that I really like. . not sure I ever will  lol. 

I've been okay with my logitech 930, but after a few years of use I've broken one of the arms twice, replaced a few parts with 3d printed bits, but the battery isn't holding it's charge very well anymore,  they only have so many cycles till they start to fail.

I've been looking at some "custom" options, that give high quality surround sound, plus high quality mic, then also looking at a higher end transmitter/receiver for pro wireless setups.

In short, for the prices they're asking for on these gamer headsets, one can "Frankenstein" together a hell of a replacement headset.

I'm going to do some more research in regards, but I think I'll build one if I come up with a good price / value, if nothing else just for the learning experience, and fun of it.
If I can build a nice dual wireless PA system for an auction house, I should be able to come up with something of worth.

I've had good luck with Senheisser the overall quality of sound and build has been good.  I currently have a set of HyperX Cloud Revolver's and they're pretty decent, I also have a big head so I often struggle to find comfortable headwear.  From hats to headphones everything usually is to tight and gives me a headache after awhile.

https://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/headsets/cloud-revolver-gaming-headset

@VinasSol Children are great. . . At destroying things.  I do a good enough job of breaking my crap on my own, help not wanted.  Not that they mean to, just that they give no f's about other peoples things -- unless it's theirs, who cares.  Those little BRAINS are stuck in 2nd gear until they've reached puberty, then it gets stuck in 3rd...  Watching mine, causes me lots of worry, it's no wonder I'm as grey haired and wrinkly as I am...

@Asalante I hear you, the fact that I have my headphones on for around 6 or more hours a day (self employed programmer + home office) makes my headsets comfort and quality really important, not that it wouldn't be otherwise, the point is, spending over $150 on a headset should give you a hell of a headset, adding the tag GAMER on to it should not be a reason to charge $150+ for it.

As headsets go the HyperX Cloud Flight looks like it might be a decent option for the price, minus the plastic headband, that's the thing that always breaks on me, I mean it when I say it, I try to be kind to my equipment, I don't let the kids play with it, nor my wife (she's hard on electronics too...... makes me cry) but most plastics just don't last, I like the Steelseries Arctis 7 too, but again, the headband looks weak.  As mic audio quality goes the Steelseries Arctis 7 sucks.  Sounds like someone talking into a PVC tube, Cloud Flight sounds a little better.  BUT, I want ppl to hear my sexy voice in all it's glory damn it!!1!

I cannot say for sure yet, I am potential just crazy, but I feel pretty certain that higher quality wireless audio headsets are something that can be done, for a similar price tag to the Astro A50.

( interesting side note, the Logitech 933's sound quality is on par with the A50, if not a little better, the headband on the other hand appears a bit weak )

I almost bought a pair of 933's the other day BUT I decided to look at what I've experienced with my 930's and while in general the quality of audio is good, speakers specifically the mic is a little meh, the damned wireless method they use is garbage though.  If the 933's are using the same wireless tech, I'm not interested at all..  They're on the 2.4ghz band, and constantly fight for space among all the other devices in the area, by that I mean they try to shift around so that the signal isn't broken or lost. However, this just ends up with lots of me asking people to repeat themselves...  Not good in the heat of a PVP round....

There are decently priced high powered transceivers, higher quality mics, and headsets, then I can use my PC's built in audio jacks, hell I could go back to the 90s and buy myself a higher quality sound card too.  I still remember being a Creative Blaster fan boy....

So in short, I'm going to take a closer look at studio quality headphone's with a reinforced headband, potentially doing a DIY modular aiaiai headset then try to pair them with something like the ModMic, connect it all through a decent transceiver to the PC, then finally feed the beast(s) with some decent Li rechargeable batteries, could be fun to buy some of the new Tesla 2170s.

AKA I'll probably spend twice what I want to spend, and my headsets will probably weigh too damned much......  But the research into it will be fun at the least!

My time has been pretty limited still, auction season is almost done, then I can catch my breath again a bit...

I have been researching in regards still, and I feel now more confident in a solid, low cost, high quality headset DIY more then ever.

I found this dummy guide outlining a project to revamp a low quality pair of headphones into something that could compete with a $200 pair, I cannot say it'll produce the results they claim, BUT it was enlightening none the less.
https://www.stacydevino.com/2011/03/diy-hifi-orthodynamic-portable-headphones-aka-ribbon-driver-headphones/
I've not been able to find the tweeters they mentioned in the guide, but after researching audio frequencies, and doing some searches I happened upon these.
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ce-series-ce38mb-32-1-1-2-mini-speaker-black-32-ohm--285-131?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla#lblProductDetails

Based off the audio frequencies it covers, it'll hit pretty low bass, on up to the highs for a fairly low power and penny cost.
https://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum

I'm hoping to find smaller still, I'd like to add more then one driver per ear, even if just to play around with the idea..
Having a rear, front, top, bottom and center grouping of speakers could be pretty neat, I'm going to pull apart my current headset (Logitech G930) and try to get a better figure on the hardware inside it, maybe fix the damned broken bits while I'm at it.

Well I pulled apart my G930's, for the most part, and was able to find that it has 5 drivers per ear, 4 micro speakers, and 1 speaker equal to the CE38MB-32..
Very painful to try to pull it all apart.  But useful, as I was also able to repair them at the same time WOOT.
I still need to rip apart the other head though, I want to see what they used for a battery to compare against.  I'll know my A/h needs and max Watts based off of my components, but seeing how they did it is useful.  The speakers I'm looking at are in the 0.5W range, once I've decided on my speakers, and transistors, I'll sit down and calculate it all out.

So far I think I have the speakers figured out....  Not 100% on it yet.

6 or 8 * CDMG13008L-02
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/cdmg13008l-02/cui-inc

2 * CE38MB-32
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ce-series-ce38mb-32-1-1-2-mini-speaker-black-32-ohm--285-131?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla#lblProductDetails

I'm still trying to find a mini sub-woofer or a replacement for the CE38MB-32's that reach a lower frequency but still reaches the higher 20kHz ( ~ 50 Hz ) but only if I "NEED" it.  I'm going to contact the manufacturer and see if I can get the lower frequencies with the main drivers, or if they have an alternative recommendation.

After I get that all figured out I'll have to figure out the circuitry for the surround sound, the "pairing" dongle, and if I can be fancy by using S/PDIF instead of the headphone / mic jacks, or USB.

Price far though with the 10 speakers, < $30!

If prices hold fair like with the speakers....  Price could be under $100 to $200 still!

I still use my Sennhieser headphones (Gamer 1) and have dropped them multiple times from about 3 feet onto a concrete floor.  No breakage yet (crosses fingers).  Had my cat rip them off my head once when she ran through and the cord held up.  They are about 3 years old.  

Good luck on finding a set you like.