Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Asalante

Ethereum Mining and GPU $$

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  I guess people are going to do what they're going to do but right now for the pc gamer looking for an upgrade.  It Sucks!!  I was looking to replace my old GTX670, it works but is showing it's age.  I read a lot of reviews and was considering a 1060 or R580.  All were reviewed relatively recently and given a decent price/performance ratio.  Then when one goes to an actual outlet to buy one the prices are upwards of 2-3x what they were a couple months ago.  The run on ethereum mining has driven prices out of control, people are buying numerous upper mid to high end GFX cards and putting several into one machine to run day and night trying to find cryptocurrency to essentially claim and make easy money.  I guess the upside is that when this market crashes cards may get cheap in a hurry.  For now though pray your card doesn't take a dirt nap because replacing it will cost way more than it should.  I guess I'll wait, unless someone knows where to find reasonably priced cards. Rant for days.........

I heard this same thing and I've also heard that the cryptocurrency market will probably crash hard sooner than later, then come back being more stabilized.

Nvidia also spoke out about the rising cost of graphics cards:

For NVIDIA, gamers come first. All activities related to our GeForce product line are targeted at our main audience. To ensure that GeForce gamers continue to have good GeForce graphics card availability in the current situation, we recommend that our trading partners make the appropriate arrangements to meet gamers’ needs as usual.

Right now unfortunately it's a waiting game = /

Everyone is having a hard time as the miners consume every GPU on the market, RAM and SSDs also is lacking on stock just need to wait (or use your rig to mine some money hahaha). but really they say that ASIC does not work on all cryptocurrency but in the end we will see ASIC miners for every type of currency. Just wait.

Also DO NOT BUY USED GPUS that were being used as Miners

57 minutes ago, AOBLXIX said:

Looks like cryptocurrency went down some more today. . . let's see what it does over this next week.

I personally think we're close to the time where it does collapse and then normalizes after the crash. 

We have to wait for a bigger annoucements, this was about India going against cryptocurrency, banning trades on his country to try to fight illegal activities, BTC is going to be back at 10k

I'm at the point where I need a GPU upgrade but I can't afford the RX 580 8GB because of the miners... I can still wait it out for a while, since even Destiny 2 runs flawlessly on my old HD7970 3GB, but my cherished GPU upgrade is way too expensive for me right now.

I say the miners should all get old laptops with integrated graphics cards and use THOSE for mining! 

...On an unrelated topic, anyone knows where I can find 500 used laptops? It's for.... relatives.

It's not just GPU costs that are insane. RAM prices have been skyrocketing as well.  As far as GPUs, I was hoping to get a GTX 1080ti soon, but the pricing has not been kind. :(

I'm tired of this mining game, they need to build some dedicated hardware like the BTC ASICs for the new currency that is currently GPU only.....  Then again we just need to figure out how to produce lots of high quality graphene, then we can start to move away from silicon.

Saw a 1050 ti at best buy the other day for $319 and a 1060 for $529 I think.  That's about double their actual value at least and sadly the best prices I've seen lately.  But just can't pay that much, not worth it.....

On 2/15/2018 at 8:51 PM, Asalante said:

Saw a 1050 ti at best buy the other day for $319 and a 1060 for $529 I think.  That's about double their actual value at least and sadly the best prices I've seen lately.  But just can't pay that much, not worth it.....

$529!?!?!?  I bought a Gigabyte 1060 back in October for $200 less than that. :worried:

On 2/22/2018 at 4:50 PM, VeeVee said:

$529!?!?!?  I bought a Gigabyte 1060 back in October for $200 less than that. :worried:

Yeah. . . if you had another GPU, you could probably sell your 1060 for a decent profit right now. Even with it being used. 

9 hours ago, AOBLXIX said:

Yeah. . . if you had another GPU, you could probably sell your 1060 for a decent profit right now. Even with it being used. 

I don't have any other new cards.  The old one was a 970 that was given to my sister (her computer is mostly built from my old parts).  At the time, I didn't have the extra money to afford a 1080, and I really wish I did.  Right now I'm curious to see what will happen with GPU prices once Nvidia releases the Ampere and Turing cards, though I'm still not optimistic.  Meanwhile, I'm still sitting on my tax refund because Primochill has their Candy Purple radiators in stock, but not their CTR reservoirs, and I have a one-time use 15% coupon code form their Discord and would really like to buy everything I need on on transaction with that coupon.:confused:

On 2/15/2018 at 7:51 PM, Asalante said:

1050ti for $319? I got mine from bestbuy and it was only $200 something.. I'm almost positive I didn't get it on sale lol

I may have been stupid, simply because I could no longer wait... but I bought a 1080 Ti.

I've been shopping around, and found on average the price for what I bought around $1200 to $1300 US.  So I felt the $900 I spent was worth it.

I bought it direct from EVGA:
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6698-KR

I almost bought it a little over a week ago, but couldn't complete the purchase fast enough, I got the notification they had some in stock, along with a few other models I was watching, and by the time I had gotten to the checkout they were gone....  I cried a little bit.

Then last week I got another notification, this time I got luck, those things don't hardly stay in stock for more then 20 minutes....

Either way I hope I got it at a good price, I'm betting I over spent by one or two hundred, but hey... I have a 1080 Ti now!!!!

Looks like I paid a semi decent price for it!?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VL8H99/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-11gb-ftw3-hybrid-gaming-video-card-11g-p4-6698-kr?history_days=365

According to the history, it started in the $850's range, so I only over paid around $50.  I can live with that.

It's not a GPU, but Primochill finally had their CTR reservoirs back in stock, so I was able to get two purple radiators (dual 140 for the top and a dual 120 for the front), a clear tube res with black and purple accents + mounting system, purple soft tubing (I'm quick and cheap about tubing, plus I don't have the tools for bending rigid tube), and black/purple/silver cable sleeve.  I already have clear RGB blocks and black fittings from Barrow.  I'm a happy lady right now.  Once I get motivated to sleeve my extensions (the most tedious part of all), I'll be well on my way to getting the new black & purple Ryzen system up and running. :love:

I'm looking at the Ryzen options as of late,  I have seen a few video cards back in stock and a little price dip, Nvidia supposedly expects the market to keep climbing into Q3 of this year.  Next gen cards may help.  Think I'm going to find the best deal I can with some coupon codes and bite the bullet. I built a Raystorm liquid cooling setup, I may have to look at the Primochill you mention for the next build!

2 hours ago, VeeVee said:

It's not a GPU, but Primochill finally had their CTR reservoirs back in stock, so I was able to get two purple radiators (dual 140 for the top and a dual 120 for the front), a clear tube res with black and purple accents + mounting system, purple soft tubing (I'm quick and cheap about tubing, plus I don't have the tools for bending rigid tube), and black/purple/silver cable sleeve.  I already have clear RGB blocks and black fittings from Barrow.  I'm a happy lady right now.  Once I get motivated to sleeve my extensions (the most tedious part of all), I'll be well on my way to getting the new black & purple Ryzen system up and running. :love:

That'll be awesome to see once it's up and running!

24 minutes ago, Asalante said:

I'm looking at the Ryzen options as of late,  I have seen a few video cards back in stock and a little price dip, Nvidia supposedly expects the market to keep climbing into Q3 of this year.  Next gen cards may help.  Think I'm going to find the best deal I can with some coupon codes and bite the bullet. I built a Raystorm liquid cooling setup, I may have to look at the Primochill you mention for the next build!

They are a New Mexico-based company that mainly deals with liquid cooling parts.  The thing that stands out most about them is that they have more color options for rads/tubing/reservoirs/fittings/fluid than any other company I know of.  I haven't seen any blocks from them yet, but they seem to be teasing them as a product in the near-future (most likely with just as many color options).  I'll be curious to see how well those perform.  They are also the ones responsible for the new Vue fluid, which is basically like Mayhems Aurora, but without many of the problems Aurora has if left in a system for too long. 

My current build has a basic loop using Alphacool parts (single-slot bay res and dual DC-LT pumps due to limited space inside the case).  The Alphacool parts I've used were good, but they were infamous on Overclock.net for crappy customer service before leaving OCN entirely (this includes being stingy about RMAs and having to ship parts to/from Germany).  Anything in the new loop that isn't Primochill is going to be Barrow (fittings & blocks), which is a Chinese company whose price vs. quality is actually really good as long as you don't mind waiting a month+ for parts ordered from eBay, Aliexpress, or Taobao.  The only minor annoyance is Barrow's "proprietary" RGB connectors that closely resemble PWM fan connectors instead of the standard generic RGB connector.  I just had to figure out which pin corresponded with each color, and then I had a hot date with the soldering iron and some standard RGB connectors.

@AOBLXIX Yes, I will post pics when it's done.