Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
  • Announcements

• Dowin

=ADK= Discord Link   04/24/2017

Come join us in =ADK= Discord To download the Discord app go here: https://discordapp.com/   Discord is going to have a small learning curve over teamspeak so be prepared, but the fellow members as well as the Admins will gladly help you if you have any issues with installing or using the app. Once you have Discord installed all that's left to do is click the button below.   Welcome to the future of the =ADK= Community.   Click Here To Join! 
Harmsorgi

The Kama Sutra for Rex Sex - A Guide to Breeding for Stats

Hey all. I was looking around and didn't see anything here in the forums on breeding so I thought i would write small guide to help out those who are  maybe new to ARK or just new to breeding their dinos to be the strongest they can be. If you already know all this then great! If any of this was new and help you out that is great too. IF you have further questions ask me here or look for me in game and i can try to help you out. For an example I will be talking about Rexes, but this applies to all dinos so just extrapolate. 

Step 1 - The Taming Stage

This stage is all about putting in the footwork to find enough dinos to get your breeding going. You might think that once you find a max level (300 on our servers) male and female, and then successfully tame them with high efficiencies you will be done with this step and ready to move on; but almost definitely not, if you are wanting super dinos at least. For most times that would be more than sufficient but when trying to breed the strongest version of a Rex 2 tames no matter their levels i not enough. You are gonna want maybe even literal dozens of tames to get the stats you are after. But before you despair at finding so many max levels of your Rex, don't worry because the max level is not as important as you think. To understand all of this you will need to understand a little more how dino stats work:

Every time a dino gets a level it increases one of its stats, but how much a stat increases is determined differently for levels gained in the wild and levels gained while tamed. Whenever a dino in the wild levels and increases one of its stats it will receive a boost to that stat at a fixed rate set by its species. So that it is possible for you to know how many levels worth of increases were spent on a specific stat by knowing what the base number is and the fixed amount it increases by (sites like Dododex have tools that are very helpful for this). It is only these "wild levels" which get passed on to the offspring, with each child receiving a the value for each stat from one of its two parents. After a dino is tamed, whenever a stat increases it no longer increases by the fixed amount of its pre-tame levels but rather by a fixed percentage of what that stat was when it was fresh tamed. Because of this having a higher wild level stat (melee for instance) would mean that after leveling its melee 50 times its total will not just be higher than another Rex who started lower, but the amount it increased by would be larger than the other Rex who had a lower melee but spent 50 points on melee too. This makes having a high individual stat the main thing we are looking to pass on by breeding. 

Now to get back to the not worrying so much about max level tames. A dinos level is actually determined by the number stat increases it has, so that a Rex who has had 3 increases to stamina, 1 to health, and 1 to melee and no others would be a level 6 (1 base + 5 increases). However it is possible for level increases to be wasted because wild dinos have fixed movement speeds which it is possible for increases to be allocated to, but have no perceptible effect. So that our level 6 Rex could have the exact same stats as a level 8 Rex who had two increases also spent on movement. So that the difference between a 270 and a 300 Rex could easily be just because it has 30 more movement points spent, or the only slightly better oxygen or food stats; all the while the 270 might actually have a better combat stat than the 300 did. What you really want when you are looking for breeders is something different that when you are looking for a dino to actively use. And active use Rex you would want to have a balance of health, melee and stamina so that it can take damage, deal damage, and keep dealing the damage. But a breeder you would rather be really really crappy at two of those things (health and melee) and phenomenal at one (stamina). Then you want to find another Rex who is crappy at health and stamina, but great a melee. Then if you can find a third who is crappy at melee and stamina but great at health you have everything you need to start taming a Rex with phenomenal stamina, melee, and health. 

Now, when you are out looking for your Rex you might think, "All I need to do is magnifying glass each Rex and then i can find the best one and only tame those". Not quite. This is because when taming, the effectiveness rating you get will add a couple more levels to your Rex. The higher the effectiveness, the more levels, as well as the higher the level of the creature. So that when taming a Rex who is 270 + with near perfect effectiveness you can get upwards of 130 more levels to be put into stats. So that you are only seeing 2/3 of the Rex's stats before the tame is finished. (this is also where the difference between a 270 and a 300 matters more because the 300 will get an additional 15 more taming effective levels). 

So, get out there and tame, tame, and tame some more. Once you have a Rex is who only good at that one thing for each of the stats you will be ready to move on to the next step, all the sex. It is important when taming all these Rexes, that for any you want to keep (you are taming so many that maybe you should just kill ones that tame out with stats you wont use) you be able to remember exactly what its wild stats were. One way to do this is to take a screenshot of its stats right after it finishes taming. Another is to use a third part program like excel to record all the stats. A third is to just never put any levels into Rexes who you are going to actively be using for breeding until you are ready to retire them. I personally do all 3, and am willing to share my spreadsheet template with anyone that would like it. Also by this point you have probably realized that to get the best stats you are going to be going through boatload of Rexes through each stage of this process so many coming up with a system on naming them will go a long way in keeping everyone straight. For example it use a 3 part alphanumeric system XYZ. X (F for female, M for Male, or X for a retired breeder- my spreadsheet has color codes that key off of this) Y (A, B, G - for whether they are a Wild tame/Alpha, a stage one Breed dino/Beta, or a stage two/mutation stage/Gamma dino) and Z (a number starting at 1 and counting up based on acquisition order). This 3 part tag can go at the start of the name and followed by another name if you or your tribemates are so inclined. Cause there always that one guy in your tribe that wants to name everything, mine is Wump. 

Stay tuned for Part Two - The Sex Pits (Breeding stage one) and for Part Three - Gamma Rays (Breeding Stat Mutations)

Edited by FeistyTV
Edited by request