Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
  • Announcements

• Dowin

=ADK= Discord Link   04/24/2017

Come join us in =ADK= Discord To download the Discord app go here: https://discordapp.com/   Discord is going to have a small learning curve over teamspeak so be prepared, but the fellow members as well as the Admins will gladly help you if you have any issues with installing or using the app. Once you have Discord installed all that's left to do is click the button below.   Welcome to the future of the =ADK= Community.   Click Here To Join! 
Element

Geforce GTX 1070 or 1080?

Both has its ups and downs but I plan on going all in and never look at the GPU upgrades for a good long time. Seeing how new GPUs are attempting to cater to VR and 4k resolutions, most people are still sticking to 1080p resolutions, myself included. With that these cards should be able to maintain a very high FPS with high-max settings with 1080p resolutions.

However... 1070 cards are weaker than the 1080 and thus cheaper and more affordable. I'm not sure if the longevity of the 1070 is worth comparing to the 1080. The plan is to have the card hold out until I need a brand new computer build. So far I'm up to speed with all my component now with GPU lacking behind. And another reason is that I hate the 700s series GPU booster 2.0. It forces itself to work extra hard on everything. Games such as Minecraft won't be FPS capped and will run around 2k fps for no reason and cooking the GPU as if I were playing Crysis 3 on max settings. Same issues with Dying Light and haven't figured a workaround.

1070 is affordable but not sure if the card will last longer being as it is a more budget card. Lots in stock.

1080 is the highest mainstream card and will definitely have the highest longevity ratings. Out of stock, EVERYWHERE IS OUT OF STOCK!

Can the 1070 be overclocked to the point where it mimics the 1080? If so I may as well just buy the 1070 and save the extra 200~ bucks. If not... well ... much thinking still.

This is the setup i am running i am thinking of getting the 1080 perhaps next year after they get some of the bugs out with the drivers and perhaps a price drop

Spoiler

Motherboard
Asus Z170-A
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz Quad Core 8MB 95W
Ram
Crucial 32GB DDR4-2133 (2x16GB)
Video Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB ACX 2.0+
Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 zs sound (Model #SB0350) thanks to @TorqueRanger
OS
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Storage
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5inch SSD
Comments: Primary drive windows 10 installed.
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5inch SSD
Comments: Secondary drive where most played games are insatlled.
CD / DVD
Asus 24x DVD-RW SATA (Black)
Case
Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 Power Supply
CPU Cooling
Corsair Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler (Rev. 2)
Additional Cooling
Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound
Speakers
Logitech Z200 2.0 Channel 5W Speakers I have two sets for surround sound.

Motherboard
Asus Z170-A
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz Quad Core 8MB 95W
Ram
Crucial 32GB DDR4-2133 (2x16GB)
Video Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB ACX 2.0+
Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 zs sound (Model #SB0350) thanks to @TorqueRanger
OS
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Storage
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5inch SSD
Comments: Primary drive windows 10 installed.
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5inch SSD
Comments: Secondary drive where most played games are insatlled.
CD / DVD
Asus 24x DVD-RW SATA (Black)
Case
Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 Power Supply
CPU Cooling
Corsair Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler (Rev. 2)
Additional Cooling
Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound
Speakers
Logitech Z200 2.0 Channel 5W Speakers I have two sets for surround sound.

Edited by Raziel23x

Nice computer!
I went with the 1080. Fought against the demand and managed to get one. Now I have to pray for a win in the silicon lottery as well as a NOT DOA card. Gonna do a nice overclock close if not over 2000 MHz on the clock speeds :D

Welp, it seems i am too late. But i will post this either way for any one that isn't able to decide between the two. I currently have a 970 and had the same dilemma when it came to the 970 or the 980. After comparing both cards, the 980 was indeed the supreme of the two but i did not see a need for that sort of upgrade, nor did i have the money at the time. So i went with the 970 and it is still running like a race horse. So in short, compare both cards and truly ask yourself if you need the extra speed..if not than go for the cheaper one. I understand that longevity is always a concern, but if the higher model isn't that much different from the cheaper one than it shouldn't make a difference.  

15 minutes ago, PunishaKelv said:

Welp, it seems i am too late. But i will post this either way for any one that isn't able to decide between the two. I currently have a 970 and had the same dilemma when it came to the 970 or the 980. After comparing both cards, the 980 was indeed the supreme of the two but i did not see a need for that sort of upgrade, nor did i have the money at the time. So i went with the 970 and it is still running like a race horse. So in short, compare both cards and truly ask yourself if you need the extra speed..if not than go for the cheaper one. I understand that longevity is always a concern, but if the higher model isn't that much different from the cheaper one than it shouldn't make a difference.  

I went with the 770 upgrade from my GTX 460. Now that was indeed a nice upgrade. 780ti was only a month old at the time so the cost of many 7xx cards were dropping. The reason why I didn't pick up the 780ti at the time was due to the reason that I was planning on SLI the 770 at some point. This would allow more performance gain and continued longevity. But I also planned SLI-ing on the GTX 460 as well. I never got to do that because by the time I wanted to upgrade, SLI, the cards were no longer in production. Was too old, if I wanted one, I'd have to buy some overpriced card from someone which also doesn't guarantee whether it works nor have warranty. My decision to go for the GTX 1080 was the idea of going all out but still save money.
I mean... all out and you'd expect me to pick up a Titan X(Pascal) right? ... Also SLI doesn't guarantee performance gains as well. That factor kicked my idea of upgrading to a x60/x70 card.
x60 budget card/x70 mainstream performance card/x80 high-end performance/x80ti high-end performance card (that nvidia "upgraded" because AMD couldn't keep up)/Titan extreme performance card for the PC enthusiast. I'm probably only going to buy x80 cards and up at this point with no intention of SLI.

Edited by Element

i agree you should just wait till the 1080 Ti comes out as i feel it would be better cost efficiency if memory serves correctly but i could be wrong so if i am my bad xD

yes the x80 ti so far were always top of the line and seated itself next to the performance of a Titan card if not slightly weaker. But I think the ti card performance is all based on AMD's answer to the Nvidia releases.

And yes, ti will always be a better price per performance.

1070 unless you have the money for the 1080 and dont really care about OC'ing. I'd get the 1070 now and wait till the next Ti to come out, also would recommend getting something with 3 fans or water cooling.

Go for 1080, rather pay few more extra buc`s but will be confident regarding performance output, just make sure your CPU can scale up to it, and is not bottle necking your new GPU, I had same with my had to switch to Intel I7 6700k from I7 4770k for maximum performance.

I quit overclocking years ago. Just don't want the hassle and warranty issues.. But on a side note: A lot of times the "factory Overclocked" cards, you pay a premium for minor OC. I personally just get the best reference card I can afford and go. Still run a 970 that runs BF1 great.