Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Bromance

Linux on Windows.

I need to pitch in here guys. Powershell is a .NET scripting language. As far as I know, .NET is not remotely close to being supported on Linux because of the massively different architectures of the operating systems. 

Edited by F34RL3SS

@[member='Moonkai2k']

@[member='F34RL3SS']

Power shell runs scripts (.dll files) from the command line. It is not really a command line but a gui like DOS so to speak. You can create your own with Visual Studio, it just never really caught on.

.NET is specific to Windows mainly because the language is C# or Visual Basic (another fail). When you compile it with Visual Studio to run your code, both forms and MVC, it creates .dll files that can only be run/executed on a windows OS/server. It wasn't and never will be (probably) hosted on anything other than a Windows environment.

Another fun fact Pivot is copyrighted by MS for Excel pivots. Some how connection table transformed to pivot table for rational databases.  

@[member='Bromance'] 

.Net was originally created to be cross platform. It's set up so it "CAN" be compiled to run on any OS, the issue is that nobody ever bothered to port it to Linux/Unix/Ect.

That was actually the entire idea behind .Net.

Last year MS came out with some crap to give devs the ability to publish .net apps on other platforms. I haven't tried it (nor will I anytime soon), but it's a thing.

Edited by Moonkai2k

Ehm, anyone ever heard of Mono?

Sponsored by Microsoft, Mono is an open source implementation of Microsoft's .NET Framework based on the ECMA standards for C# and the Common Language Runtime. A growing family of solutions and an active and enthusiastic contributing community is helping position Mono to become the leading choice for development of cross platform applications.

Link: http://www.mono-project.com

I myself have not found any issues so far. C# as a language is beautiful, though Java is catching up on some of the designs with the newest updates.

@[member='Moonkai2k'] @[member='Bromance'] @[member='F34RL3SS']

Java's catching up? Java's dead. Java died when literally everybody bailed on it due to it being a bigger security issue than Flash.

It would help if you provided any actual references to your claims. Unless you have experience on the field yourself (which is unclear at this point), you should at least link something to provide a more factual basis for your comment.

While the following link I'm going to give is not an accurate representation of popularity or how good a language is, or even how well it is being developed, you might still want to read how it is being ranked.

Link: http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index

But you don't even have to look at that, you can just look at your phone, there is a good chance (2015Q2 82.8%) it's an android phone, in that case you carry a bunch of Java applications in your pocket every day.

Anyway, kind of derailing the actual topic.