Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
  • Announcements

• Dowin

=ADK= Discord Link   04/24/2017

Come join us in =ADK= Discord To download the Discord app go here: https://discordapp.com/   Discord is going to have a small learning curve over teamspeak so be prepared, but the fellow members as well as the Admins will gladly help you if you have any issues with installing or using the app. Once you have Discord installed all that's left to do is click the button below.   Welcome to the future of the =ADK= Community.   Click Here To Join! 
jizackson

Will You be upgrading to Windows 8

Windows 8 Upgrade  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be upgrading to Windows 8?

• Hell Yea!
    • No way, M3tr0 Bl0w5!!
    • Maybe, but I'll let AOB be my guinea pig, first

With Windows 8 due out in late October, it's time to think about upgrading! I've read mixed reviews on it, but I hear it runs and boots faster, is lighter weight, and is only going to cost $40 to upgrade. If those are all true, I think it's a no brainer to upgrade. If the UI sucks, I'm sure the hackers will be able to disable Metro and make it look like Windows 7.

So what are you thoughts??

Here's a positive review of windows 8: [url="http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/07/betting-the-company-on-windows-8.html"]http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/07/betting-the-company-on-windows-8.html[/url] Edited by jizackson

okay so I've had and have been using win8 consumer preview for the past 8-9 months here are my complete thoughts on it.

To begin, when you get and or see videos of it DO NOT EXPECT TO SEE WINDOWS AS YOU KNOW IT. It is not like any other version of windows nor should it be. This is something fresh and new that MS came up with and tbph I really dig the metro theme and it's amazingly convenient once you get used to it and understand how it functions. Do not, do not, do not, DO FUCKING NOT, get the modded UI that turns it into windows 7 until you have had it for like...3 or 4 months and are used to metro and are a pro at using it. Once you do this a swear to God you're going to love it. It makes everything really easy to get to, you can organize things in such a more efficient and better looking manner, and going from program or application to program or application is super fast and easy. As for the claims of it being lighter weight etc. This is true, Ill have to post some screen shots of system resource usage of it compared to Win 7 ult. But in essence this thing is the windows mobile OS formatted and redesigned for a PC or laptop, and it is amazing. All of the common information that you need and or want can be presented in the metro tiles (facebook, twitter, linkedIN, email, IM, etc.) As well as any frequently used programs.

Again, I want to stress how important it is that people dont botch this back to windows 7 with a mod until they are completely used to the metro theme. This hasn't happened since like....MSDOS went to WIN 3.11, and I will be sad to see the end user fuck it up.

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#FFA500][size=4]My rule of thumb is to let the new OS break in a little so that the driver support for it is up to snuff. Nothing is more frustrating than migrating to a new OS before the driver support for all the peripherals (printers, scanners, cameras, etc.) is in place. Some vendors can really drag their feet, and some never get there at all. Doing a fresh install is the only way to go for me, so I doubt I will upgrade in place (stability issues).[/size][/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#FFA500][size=4]I know I will upgrade to Win8 as soon as it's practical, but for now I will watch and wait. Win7 is very stable, has abundant driver support for the stuff I have, and gets the job done. Avoid some pain and do compatibility checks for [u][b]ALL[/b][/u] of your peripherals before you make the jump, especially those of you with joysticks, add-in cards (wireless LAN, sound, SATA controllers -which can be finicky as hell BTW, etc.).[/size][/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#FFA500][size=4]I am one lucky bastard since my GF as a full MS TechNet subscription from work (she's an IT Dept. Head), so getting a copy for myself won't be an issue.[/size][/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#FFA500][size=4]Hope you guys have good luck making the jump. Let us know how it goes![/size][/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#FFA500][size=4]war[/size][/color][/font]

You want a 40 second boot time. Windows 7 64 bit on a SSD. The cards have dropped to about 1$ per Gig. The motherboard I have, an Asus Maximus V, has a mSATA slot. The SSD is a daughter card on my MB. My Windows 7 boot partition is dedicated to it. 256 GB in size.

Average cold boot is less than 40 seconds.

Newegg

ADATA XPG SX300 ASX300S3-256GM-C mSATA 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

[url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211664"]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211664[/url]

[color=#ffa500][size=4][font='comic sans ms', cursive]Still going to wait a bit, even though I can get it for free through my GF's MS Technet subscription. Win7 is working ok, is mature and secure, and is fast enough on my SSD. Just not wanting to go through the ass pain of a clean OS install right now, even though I will probably end up liking Win8. Maybe after the New Year...[/font][/size][/color]

i want too but dont really have the cash. :( so itll have to wait til a get a job. played with it a lil bit and really liked it. did take sometime getting used to it

Everything worked for me to, it is based off of W7 (like how they say that, which it is all based off Vista) and companies have been working drivers for awhile.

The main thing, as Hoole pointed out, places and how to get to places has changed very much so. After some digging I like it too. Just installing apps/software on most cases putes like 3-5 window thing on the tile GUI but easily deleted and as things update will be better.

Main thing I like and will upgrade while cheap, is the hotmail login. on my previews you can set accounts to hotmail (MS account) and basic settings transfer from pc to pc you log into. With the kids and me using Family Safety this is huge almost like a active directory (pretty much is) so easily have the kids log into my PC if needed for Office etc without them doing things they are not suppose to. As it is an update/upgrade and lighter weight it runs real smooth

[color=#ffa500][size=4][font='comic sans ms', cursive]I hope that the "Market" picks up steam and 3rd party apps are made that can solve some of the issues (I know, most of them petty) that many users are talking about. For example, Google should make a "tile" app that rolls up the tile functionality that MS apps currently enjoy (Hotmail, for example). I guess anything that makes the Tile UI (Metro) do Metro-like stuff for other apps. A "Battlelog" tile would be kinda cool.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#ffa500][size=4][font='comic sans ms', cursive]war[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#ffa500][size=4][font='comic sans ms', cursive]dammit... now that everyone is talking about it, I might wind up doing the upgrade sooner than later [/font][/size][/color][color=#FFA500][font='comic sans ms', cursive] [/font][/color][color=#FFA500][font='comic sans ms', cursive] :angry:[/font][/color]

Just upgraded mine and the wifes. Next few days I'll hit the kids PCs. I'll post about it in a few days. So far, as with most MS release candidates there are some differences and some are huge or I just didn't notice from the RC. Either way mostly positive.

[quote name='Bromance' timestamp='1351427777' post='51709']
Just upgraded mine and the wifes. Next few days I'll hit the kids PCs. I'll post about it in a few days. So far, as with most MS release candidates there are some differences and some are huge or I just didn't notice from the RC. Either way mostly positive.
[/quote]

So you didn't do clean install and everyone was fine? If that's the case, I may upgrade myself.

I will be upgrading. In my line of work i need to always try and stay up on all the new software. Windows 8 looks great, and with the reviews i have been reading it looks good. It will be nothing like windows has done before but a lot like what a windows phone looks like, which is the way things are going. We will have to see.

[quote name='xSteeLer' timestamp='1351453559' post='51739']
It doesnt look good IMO
[/quote]
might not look good compared to what you are used to. But once you get the hang of how the tiles work it is incredibly functional.

[color=#ffa500][size=4][font='comic sans ms', cursive]I've been running Win8 for about a week. So far, so good from a tech perspective. The only rough patch I had (with respect to gaming) was that I had to reinstall PB and do the procedure where you make it run in "compatability mode" for Win7. Soon, I expect Evenbalance will have a Win8-compatible version of PB and I can do away with this bandaid. Lots to get used to regarding the UI, but taking the advise of others, I am giving it a chance.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#ffa500][size=4][font='comic sans ms', cursive]One of the things I am doing that I never bothered to do with Win7 or earlier OS's is that I learning to use more keyboard shortcuts. There is some pretty good guides out there on them and I made a little cheat sheet for some of the best that I keep handy.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#ffa500][size=4][font='comic sans ms', cursive]I think the Live Tile feature has the potential to eventually be pretty good, although it is little used and little interesting content is out there. Hopefully web designers (ours included) will discover nifty ways to use this feature and make it more useful and productive.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#ffa500][size=4][font='comic sans ms', cursive]So far, Win8 is okay. There are still some key things I haven't done, such as getting into MS Config and checking out the junk that starts at boot time and deselecting it. More to follow, but so far it doesn't appear to be the evil that some folks make it out to be.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#ffa500][size=4][font='comic sans ms', cursive]Is it worth the time/hassle to upgrade? Hard to say. So far, I don't see that it brings anything new to the table that I can't live without. For example, to get DX-11 support, you had to ditch WinXP.[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#ffa500][size=4][font='comic sans ms', cursive]war[/font][/size][/color]

Weird how a few people have some big differences. I did have to reinstall PB. but I didn't need to run it on compatibility mode. I would suggest re-installing drivers anyways, so I did right away.

[quote name='Bromance' timestamp='1351800245' post='52262']
Weird how a few people have some big differences. I did have to reinstall PB. but I didn't need to run it on compatibility mode. I would suggest re-installing drivers anyways, so I did right away.
[/quote]

[color=#ffa500][size=4][font='comic sans ms', cursive]I'm running PB in compatibility mode b/c that's what the guide said to do... I figured that if what the guide said worked, I wouldn't tweak it. So far so good! Win8 is running well. BTW, I haven't reinstalled my video drivers and haven't experienced any problems in that area with my 670. Thanks to MSI afterburner, my OC profile(s) made the upgrade just fine and I haven't had to change the settings.[/font][/size][/color]

After using windows 8 for a few weeks, I have mostly positive and very few negative things to say. Overall I'm very happy with it although things might have been different if I hadn't found the start8 addon ( thanks leroy!) which a adds back the win7 start menu.

Once you get over the metro debacle, you'll realize that under the hood Microsoft has succeeded in putting out its fastest, stablest and most secure operating system to date. I did have issues initially after upgrading so I recommend a clean install, but once you get things going it's smooth sailing. You only have until end of January to score the $40 upgrade so get on it! Edited by jizackson

im having the free version from windows 8 site for like a month or two.. its a ''test'' version.. so not everything is here and not full working.. BUT THIS SHIT IS GOD DAMN AWESOME!!!! im having hp probook 4525s and it works friggin' perfectly! im actually having better ping and fps in some games! all i want to say.. get it pirated if you just want to try it and later see how do you like it.. i was like what the hell am i doing with this, but i didnt sleep next two night just because you have to look through everything there is on these windows!