Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
jizackson

Will You be upgrading to Windows 8

Windows 8 Upgrade  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be upgrading to Windows 8?

• Hell Yea!
    • No way, M3tr0 Bl0w5!!
    • Maybe, but I'll let AOB be my guinea pig, first

Windows 8 + Start8 = Almost Perfect.

I've had issues with Windows 8 telling me I'm not activated.  A reboot usually resolves that glitch.  But it affects my Office as well and both Windows and Office were paid for and activated.  I even reformatted and reinstalled 8 when the problem persisted through several reboots.  But it has happened again since.  So, it has some bugs but is also an improvement over 7.

I actually had it on my computer for about a month and a half, removed it and went back to 7, and then reinstalled it 6 months later. I rarely use Metro, but everything else is fine and dandy. The improved memory management is great, saved me from upgrading my computer needlessly. My laptop with SSD boots to desktop in about 10 seconds or so.

I could see why it'd be offputting, but unless you use the start menu a rediclous amount, I'd say go for it and gain some performance boost out of your pc

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview?ocid=BLPREV_SEM_GOOGLE_Null_Null_Null_Null

You guys were right, there is a start button. i must apologize to those who stated there was while I said no.

When I clicked it, it said start menu and opened METRO.

Anyone running the dev preview of 8.1/blue? Just downloading the iso now to toy with in a VM. Last time I tried the win 8 preview it lasted about 10 minutes, we will see how this one goes.

Yes, nothing HUGE, but also if your waiting for something more win 7, well it didn't happen.

Honestly if you have windows 7 right now than don't upgrade but if you are building a new computer and have to purchase a key definitely get Windows 8. I have loved the fact that they finally have proper multi display support. 

Here is the facts, then I'll let it rest. Google them please! W8 is a all around performance increase. Yes, sometimes insignificant, yet an increase. Stability depends on your rig, but w7 was great, and w8 is the same though optimized better for sleep and continually on.

Back to performance many of the test, including gaming benchmarks have shown HUGE improvements. I won't get into the technical reasons but W8 is more efficient now. Even older rigs are improved. I am guessing many of you have distain for w8 because of the GUI. As stated, get over it. It is going to the way of metro and less desktop that your use to

stating you don't see an improvement is kind silly unless you're running 2 identical PC'S right next to each other doing the same tasks. Not liking metro (never use it except for running a program in administrate mode) is completely understood, and to upgrade may not be worth the case is also valid but to squeeze the best performance from your hardware.....

Just from running W8 I have an average of 10% to 40% increase (depending on the app) in performance. Just running 2 monitors with out paying for third party software to do what W8 does paid for my upgrade alone.

Only reason I beat this dead horse is W7 GUI is not coming back. I currently have and continue to take ms cert courses with a few of the teachers ms devs. The question is always asked, and the answer is always ride the train or be left behind as the learning curve will only get worse and be more frustrating. W8 and 8.1 are only stepping stones to ms's plan of a completely metro and locked down os (iPhone with approved apps and very limited access comes to my mind).

Here is the facts, then I'll let it rest. Google them please! W8 is a all around performance increase. Yes, sometimes insignificant, yet an increase. Stability depends on your rig, but w7 was great, and w8 is the same though optimized better for sleep and continually on.

Back to performance many of the test, including gaming benchmarks have shown HUGE improvements. I won't get into the technical reasons but W8 is more efficient now. Even older rigs are improved. I am guessing many of you have distain for w8 because of the GUI. As stated, get over it. It is going to the way of metro and less desktop that your use to

stating you don't see an improvement is kind silly unless you're running 2 identical PC'S right next to each other doing the same tasks. Not liking metro (never use it except for running a program in administrate mode) is completely understood, and to upgrade may not be worth the case is also valid but to squeeze the best performance from your hardware.....

Just from running W8 I have an average of 10% to 40% increase (depending on the app) in performance. Just running 2 monitors with out paying for third party software to do what W8 does paid for my upgrade alone.

Only reason I beat this dead horse is W7 GUI is not coming back. I currently have and continue to take ms cert courses with a few of the teachers ms devs. The question is always asked, and the answer is always ride the train or be left behind as the learning curve will only get worse and be more frustrating. W8 and 8.1 are only stepping stones to ms's plan of a completely metro and locked down os (iPhone with approved apps and very limited access comes to my mind).

I have to fully agree with Bromance on this one.  I've been using Win8 for a few weeks now, ever since I upgraded my CPU to a hexacore i7 3930K.  Once thing is for sure, you get better CPU scaling with Win8 over Win7... the numbers simply don't lie.  The more cores you have under Win8, the better off you will be.

I run Win8 mostly in "Desktop" mode and have little to do with Metro since I disabled/uninstalled all of the "live tile" apps to conserve CPU and network resources.  Now, my Metro desktop is pretty much a collection of app launch shortcuts (just the way I like it).

One of the things I really like about Win8 over Win7 is the makeover the system tools received.  The task manager kicks far more ass than its predecessor, as does the resource monitor.  I also like improvements to "msconfig" (nested very well within the Task Manager).  Most of the tools I like to use are right there where I want them... easy to get at.  Also, being able to find damn near anything by simply typing key words while on the Metro screen is also pretty kick ass and very handy (IMHO).

I was very reluctant to get  into Win8, but once I did it was pretty much a "WTF, why didn't I do this months ago?" sort of moment.

If you like Win7 and are looking for a modest performance bump, then upgrade to Win8, disable/uninstall all of the "live tile" stuff, and run it from the desktop.  Spend about 5 minutes learning a few keyboard shortcuts (windows-i is my favorite), and you will be off to the races, guaranteed.

war

Edited by =ADK= warspite

I have to fully agree with Bromance on this one.  I've been using Win8 for a few weeks now, ever since I upgraded my CPU to a hexacore i7 3930K.  Once thing is for sure, you get better CPU scaling with Win8 over Win7... the numbers simply don't lie.  The more cores you have under Win8, the better off you will be.

I run Win8 mostly in "Desktop" mode and have little to do with Metro since I disabled/uninstalled all of the "live tile" apps to conserve CPU and network resources.  Now, my Metro desktop is pretty much a collection of app launch shortcuts (just the way I like it).

One of the things I really like about Win8 over Win7 is the makeover the system tools received.  The task manager kicks far more ass than its predecessor, as does the resource monitor.  I also like improvements to "msconfig" (nested very well within the Task Manager).  Most of the tools I like to use are right there where I want them... easy to get at.  Also, being able to find damn near anything by simply typing key words while on the Metro screen is also pretty kick ass and very handy (IMHO).

I was very reluctant to get  into Win8, but once I did it was pretty much a "WTF, why didn't I do this months ago?" sort of moment.

If you like Win7 and are looking for a modest performance bump, then upgrade to Win8, disable/uninstall all of the "live tile" stuff, and run it from the desktop.  Spend about 5 minutes learning a few keyboard shortcuts (windows-i is my favorite), and you will be off to the races, guaranteed.

war

I have been using it for some time now too with a i7 board still need to kill the live apps

I think you better re-read the comments above mine, last time I checked the calendar it was still 2013.

I'm just letting all of you know. 

I'm checking out Win8 on my test pc with IObits Start menu 8. It makes using the OS tolerable, but not enough to make the switch on my main pc.

I also use win8 with similar start menu called Start8(http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/) and allows disable metro crap. Its everything win7 is and more, faster start/shutdown times, built in iso mounting, tons of stuff. Worth the switch imo.

Edited by 0nly1Fear

I'll be sticking with Win7 Pro till it hits EOL.

It might be coming quicker than you think. More people will most likely switch to 8.1, most likely enough to shorten the life-span of 7. Now that the START button is back (my goodness, the only thing that kept people from switching over; well the major one at least). I don't give two jacks about the start button since you have a freaking windows key on your keyboard!

Now I somewhat understand the frustrations of people who are too used to the start menu and love it too much, I personally find the 8.1 menu more simple and lest complicated. No more having to wait for a certain menu to open, you have have to scroll through until you find the program's section (by section I mean the title above all the applications belonging to the program). I find it less cluttered having the main Windows apps in the side panel and having third party programs on the taskbar.

I also personally love the live tiles, no more having to always click on the app; you can just watch the live tile and get the up-to-date information on your app.

~ James

PS: I just realized how much easier it is to read with the sentences not all cluttered up... ><