Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
jizackson

Will You be upgrading to Windows 8

Windows 8 Upgrade  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be upgrading to Windows 8?

• Hell Yea!
    • No way, M3tr0 Bl0w5!!
    • Maybe, but I'll let AOB be my guinea pig, first

[quote name='lx2master' timestamp='1354239542' post='56881']
i think win 8 is more for tablets and their phone dont like the look and feel of it and dont wanna spend the money
[/quote]

Yes, and no... Yes it is suppose to be like tablets/phones for the ease of use between the two, three, with logins that are the same so your content and apps go with you. No in the aspect it is a full featured OS, not a light weight distro (linux term, sorry) by any means.

Best to get use to it as that is where MS is going. W9 will be the same, with some improvements. Probably why Valve is going to start pushing OpenGL and Linux soon.

[quote name='Bromance' timestamp='1354241229' post='56887']
Yes, and no... Yes it is suppose to be like tablets/phones for the ease of use between the two, three, with logins that are the same so your content and apps go with you. No in the aspect it is a full featured OS, not a light weight distro (linux term, sorry) by any means.

Best to get use to it as that is where MS is going. W9 will be the same, with some improvements. Probably why Valve is going to start pushing OpenGL and Linux soon.
[/quote]yea what i meant was that it was a tablet and phone operating system butmade available for pc use as of right now i do not like the look and feel of it maybe later i will change my minde and get it

I upgraded, it took a little to get used to the new navigation and honestly I like it better, but I do miss the old start menu. Though the good. Gaming performance got a boost. My Alienware M18x often had overheating issues causing slowdowns and stuttering with BF3, but when I upgraded, everything has been smooth as butter and fps boost despite my scaled back overclock. I've been ratcheting things back up on the OC to see how far I can push it and be stale or not have thermal issues as I did before with Windows 7. After I upgraded my home PC. everything has been good there. No issues with 1 exception. I now get a task bar on each of my monitors as opposed to the one monitor, however only one screen has the clock and calendar. Kind of annoying, I am sure I can turn it off somehow but haven't figured it out yet. All in all the internals of windows 8 is very similar to 7 but with the radically changed UI it hybridises the win phone/tablet experience to the PC.

I bought windows 8 right after launch (with their $39 promo), and after installing it an using it for a couple of weeks, i decided to *upgrade* back to win7.

I disliked the Modern UI (metro). The paradigm disconnect between the desktop and the modern ui is so huge that i think microsoft released an unfinished version of windows. The UI elements (buttons and other controls) are so flat, sometimes its hard to distinguish if its a design element on the screen or an interactive control. I dont usually think much of Aero glass, but after installing windows 8, i missed it badly. The tiles is pretty nice, but i typically use and install a lot of apps for software developement and after installing all of that, the tiles looked unbelievably cluttered and disorganized. I constantly had to keep it arranged and remove the apps that i didnt really need.

I think windows8 is more suited towards touch-based devices.

I'm using Windows 8 currently.  The Metro UI is hardly a problem for me. In fact it's grown on me, although I use it maybe once every few hours and I only use it to search for a shortcut. (Just press the windows key, start typing, click the icon like you would on Windows 7)

Otherwise it is functionally identical to Windows 7 if you use the desktop mode.
I use the software "Fences" on my desktop to keep it organized and hardly have to use the Metro screen for anything other than a glorified start menu. The ability to pause and continue file transfers, the little graph it shows of your file transfer rate when you copy/paste, the optimizations, it's all great. There's really no reason NOT to get Win 8.

Microsoft had Win8 for 39.99, and BF3 wouldn't play on my WinXP, so I upgraded.  I haven't had a blue screen or crash since installing it, so I'm pretty happy with it.

Although often denegrated, upgrading from XP to Vista offered important improvements on technical grounds for multi-core and multi-card gaming, DX improvments and a number of serious redistributables reasons...   while W7 offered less-groundbreaking levels of upgrades over Vista, there were STILL significant real and important improvements for these same hardware and technical reasons.

Baased on what I have seen and tested, there are considerably fewer reasons to date for an upgrade to W8 so far.  IN fact, based on what I see, there are almost none from a technical standpoint, unless you are playing a very select title with weaker-than-usual compenents. 

Based on release rates, although I have a tame version of W8 in the office for comparison, I will NOT be upgrading any other machines at this time, and wait for W9.  Should my information on future-DX or potential technical developments from soon to be released hardware (NVidia, AMD, INtel and AMD again - CPUs) change this, I wll post again.  Otherwise, there is not any compelling performance reason to upgrade from W7 to W8, and I find the 'social media'-Metro nonsense uh... [insert your politically incorrect statement here, repeat, repeat, repeat].

~Dim

Actually there is some huge improvements, but it depends on your system specs and hardware (mainly hardware).

Memory usage is improved slightly. SSD drivers and usage by W8 is VASTLY improved and is natively supported and not dependent on firmware from the SSD. There are others, as in booting time, reliability, networking (W8 can make an awesome homeserver).... Gaming specific you are right, and in some cases almost a degrade.

I also think a major improvement is system resource usage efficiency. In case no one else has noticed, the load or strain for lack of a better word that Win8 puts on your system is hardly noticeable. Not that it is using any more or less resources but that it makes the usage count and when it is not needed it doesn't passively use or reserve them. Thats just what it feels like to me.

Another huge plus that W8 and with WP8 is almost instant syncing. My social media stuff, my phone's pictures, and my media on my computer are accessible from wherever I need them, even on someone else's computer if I login using my live account ID. 

Not going back to  7 probably ever for my gaming machines. Got a decent start replacement so I'm good to go. Also love the improved startup times when coupled with my SSD while on the go. :)

I also think a major improvement is system resource usage efficiency. In case no one else has noticed, the load or strain for lack of a better word that Win8 puts on your system is hardly noticeable. Not that it is using any more or less resources but that it makes the usage count and when it is not needed it doesn't passively use or reserve them. Thats just what it feels like to me.

Another huge plus that W8 and with WP8 is almost instant syncing. My social media stuff, my phone's pictures, and my media on my computer are accessible from wherever I need them, even on someone else's computer if I login using my live account ID. 

It is amazing!

My mobo has built in blue tooth, so as long as my W8 phone is in range it synchronizes everything else that skydrive doesn't automatically.  Peeps see no start menu (but the search option is better then the start button) and metro and because it is a change HOLLY CRAP can't do it. That was the major issue with Vista other then the driver issues.

Any case, most of the functions from start menu are already there if you mouse over to the far left bottom and right click. Just the documentation from MS is non-existent for some of the tools.

In my opinion it was a silly move to push out a hugely drastic UI change and not come out with a less dressed up enterprise version. I know most enterprise companies will skip this release anyways because they just upgraded from XP to 7, but its still a silly move. After getting users comfortable with xp/vista/7 for over a decade, most will immediately find the Metro UI clunky and scream at tech support to swap them back to 7.

I booted the developers alpha when it first came out and powered it off after an hour and didn't look back. I don't mind it as much on a tablet but for a keyboard/mouse desktop its clunky. I equate it to game developers porting console games over to PC.

I will make a suggestion to all that consider moving to Windows 8.

Do it fresh install.

I recommend not doing the upgrade from Vista or Windows 7, although Windows 7 is the safest way to do so.

Having done all sides of this (i work at an university in washington state) for many that request it, i found the best option is fresh or new install.

Also, do not try upgrading with old (5 years +) printers. i had 2 printers of which one is working now.  If the printer is more than 7 years old, dont even try it.

One more thing, Office 2013 will not work with all old printers as well, so plan on buying a new printer if you go that route (i reverted back to 2010).

nop. i have it in my VM and thats enough for me from win8 ^^

its neat but nah, too fancy and its more optimised for touchscreen.

I have it on a second computer that was running virtual machines. It's not a computer I need to frequently use as it just runs virtual machines pretty much all day, but from my limited experience with it, I can say the following.

1) It does not boot faster than Windows 7 when both OS are installed on a SSD

2) The lack of start menu isn't so bad once you place a few important shortcuts on the desktop or in your task bar (ie My Computer, Documents, etc).

3) It doesn't offer much if anything over Windows 7 in terms of functionality.

Overall, if you're using Windows 7, it's not worth the upgrade.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/windows_blue_alpha_build_9364_leaks

Best get used to it before you get left behind! 

The comments of not much function over W7 is incorrect. It may SEEM the same, and I agree boot time is subject to many things and is irrelevant. 

Few facts:

Metro at first is clunky= delete and minimize the tile size so you don't have to scroll over, learn the short cuts (I picture many of you who use Office just getting frustrated with all the clicking around... Many times I preform a task in minutes that takes others hours because of short cuts)

W8 has changed things around= Once again, MS will continue to do what it does, deal with it or go MAC/Linux or you will be left behind.

Business use = Yes many IT in a business environment hate  change to begin with, dealing with the "old" guy using extremely outdated network structure is my night mare (consulting) more then help desk side. But many issues come from deployment and lack of training. W8 has HUGE, I mean HUGE network improvement (It will natively communicate with a Linux server with out ANY EFFORT, just a few clicks on each end). Home networking, HUGE, difference and security is decent (security all depends on what you want to secure). Many business still are deploying XP and/or just upgrading to W7 is mainly financial decision due to upgrading PC's, custom software updates to run on W7, Printer set up (many times old), along with training and trained IT's. Believe it or not many companies lease PC's and have extended replacement cycles due to the economy. Just last week did a consultation for a business that ALL PC's where leased for around $900 a year for the last 5 years. Average spec: Windows 2000, P4, 512 memory, 80GB H/D, CRT monitors. The PC when new MIGHT have been worth $900. So as you can imagine many companies getting sold on horrible Tech structure and losing lots of money and can't always afford to upgrade quickly  and many times don't need to.  W8 has many built ins that are normally start up scripts in W XP and even W7 from a Active Directory log-in business set up. Generally to configure W8 for a business network takes an hour versus 2-3 hours of tweaking and installing scripts and network settings.

Basically MS documentation sucks, no question about that. But to say it works the same as W7 not true at all. It may seem to because of personal use, but in fact has HUGE upside potential 

After using Windows 8 for several months now, I'll probably agree that the upgrade isn't worth $99.  I paid $40 for it so it was a no brainer as I like to stay up to date.

I still have Metro disabled completely, but I have zero complaints with the OS.  That said, there really isn't anything that makes it better than win7 for gaming.

Let me give some advice, as i hae had it since december.

Pros: Barely ever freezes or crashes. Quick to load on startup. Has a desktop and file browsing ststem similar to windows 7.

Cons: Start Menu completely changed. New "tile" system takes a while for traditional windows 7 users to assimilate to. This means getting to the control panel or searching for other programs is a bit harder. Most programs open us as a seperate entitie like a videogame would instead of a page that can simply be exited out of. Printing is bugged on some computers.

This is from my personal experience, but you all can decide yourselves. Good luck.

Great comments by Bromance above.

I'll wait for Win Blue and see.  Not a Metro UI fan as I find it awkward for use on a workstation, but I do look forward to the improvements in the kernel and underlying code that Win8 brings to the table.  Hopefully Blue will enable those who desire it to skip the touch screen optimized UI and have a more conventional desktop.

war

Yea, at this point, it is tough to say what "Blue" will be.  Truly, the migration away from the traditional desktop has been a disaster (as have Win8 sales) for Redmond in just about every sense.  It has crushed new PC sales this year, setting them back a whopping 14%, more than at any point in at least a decade.

Here's a decent Blog post that raises some pretty good questions w/o ranting (rare, in the day and age).  I particularly like that part about the possibility of certain SKUs that give the user an option to select/configure the interface they want.  My point being that if Stardock can make a $5 app that does this (and make good bank on it to boot), then  why not keep that $ for yourself and put an easy-to-code option in the configuration menu?  Corporate PC users would be happy with the saved training $, as would we traditional workstation users.  It's really not a lot to ask.

Finally, I really don't have anything against the Metro UI, it's just not for me.  I'm happy to keep my tablet and workstation worlds separate.

war

I don't know where your reading...everywhere I have read says the start button is back.

Google is your friend, my friend.

windows blue start button

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1ASUM_enUS486US486&ion=1&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&gs_rn=9&gs_ri=psy-ab&gs_mss=windows%20blue%20start%20menu&tok=wSKeB6xcSJwN-JCR8aExuQ&cp=20&gs_id=4x&xhr=t&q=windows+blue+start+button&es_nrs=true&pf=p&rlz=1C1ASUM_enUS486US486&biw=1268&bih=839&sclient=psy-ab&oq=windows+blue+start+b&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45512109,d.aWM&fp=b680e852d6e8a7ec&ion=1

The "start" button will be back, as you stated. It will only open metro, not a menu as before if it is true to even have it.