Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
  • Announcements

• Dowin

=ADK= Discord Link   04/24/2017

Come join us in =ADK= Discord To download the Discord app go here: https://discordapp.com/   Discord is going to have a small learning curve over teamspeak so be prepared, but the fellow members as well as the Admins will gladly help you if you have any issues with installing or using the app. Once you have Discord installed all that's left to do is click the button below.   Welcome to the future of the =ADK= Community.   Click Here To Join! 
Chief_Rockie

Currently on Deployment.....Will update this with News!

Hey Fellow ADK Brothers and Sisters, I’m sure now that most of you have noticed that I have not been on for…..oh about a month. If you have not noticed, I get it, you don’t care about me ;). Anyways, I just started my deployment February 12th with the USS Boxer LHD4 and her Amphibious Readiness Group. Now, I thought I would have a sit ton more time to write you all, I’m quickly finding out that this is not true. But, I will do my best to check the forums twice a week at a minimum. Now, before I get asked, NNOO, I cannot tell you were I’m at and were I’m heading. But, I can share pictures and videos that the ship has published and tell you were I have been after I have been there. Sorry, but 4,000 + service member’s lives depend on maintaining OPSEC. However, this say thread I started, I will update with photo’s, were the ship has been, and other cool stuff. If you all are interested. Or, you can follow along from our ARG Commanders Facebook, https://m.facebook.com/USSBOXER . Anyways, see you all online when I get back. No worries, I will be back!

ADMIRAL WILLIAM "BULL" HALSEY ON CHIEF PETTY OFFICERS! At the end of WWII, all the towns and cities across the country were looking for a "Hero" to celebrate America's victory with. Los Angeles chose Admiral Halsey and had a ceremony on the steps of the LA County courthouse to honor America's hero and at the end of it when Admiral Halsey was leaving, they had a line of sideboys. The sideboys were active duty and retired Chief Petty Officers that had been brought in from all over the country who had served with Admiral Halsey at one point in their careers. Admiral Halsey approached one of the retired Chiefs, and they winked at each other. Later on that evening at a reception for Admiral Halsey, one of the civilian guests at the event asked the Admiral about the wink he shared with the Chief. Admiral Halsey explained,....... "That man was my Chief when I was an Ensign, and no one before or after taught me as much about ships or men as he did. You civilians don't understand. You go down to Long Beach and you see those battleships sitting there, and you think that they float on water, don't you?" The guest replied, "Yes, sir, I guess I do." To which Admiral Halsey stated,...... "You are wrong. They are carried to sea on the backs of those Chief Petty Officers!"

What is the Navy

The Navy is the Commander in Chief asking where the nearest aircraft carrier is, and a scrubby boatswain's mate sitting on a pair of bits teaching a young seaman how to splice line. A tobacco-chewing gunner standing a sharp watch in a far-off land. That's the Navy. And so is the big, fat engineer who can make a diesel engine run better just by standing next to it.

There's a man in San Francisco who remembers the USS Missouri made port there in the autumn of '61. That's the Navy. So is the recruiter who accepted a young man from Long Beach, California for master-at-arms training named Michael Monsoor who would go on to be a Medal of Honor recipient. The Navy is a spirited rivalry of humankind against the ocean, skill against nature, a daily struggle. Everything is measured and evaluated. Every heroic, every failing is seen and congratulated or counseled.

In the Navy democracy shines its clearest. The only race that matters is the race to roll a firehose. The creed is our very own. Color merely something to distinguish one flight deck job from another.

The Navy is a recruit. His experience no bigger than the lump in his throat as he begins basic training. It's a veteran too, a tired old man of forty-five hoping that those aching muscles can pull him through one last deployment. Nicknames are the Navy, names like Boats and Wheels and Guns, and Bull, and Cowboy, and Sparky, and A-Gang.

The Navy is the cool, clear eyes of Arleigh Burke, the flashing heroism of Alan Shephard, the true grit of Carl Brashear.

The Navy is service, as simple as muster, instruction, and inspection, yet as complex as the American spirit it symbolizes - a lifestyle, a business, and sometimes almost even a religion.

Why the tale of John Paul Jones engaging an English ship in foreign waters and then having the tenacity to declare "I have not yet begun to fight." That's the Navy. So is the bravado of a doomed Captain James Lawrence saying, "Don't give up the ship. Fight her 'till she sinks.”

The Navy is the damage control locker, general quarters, the boatswain's locker, tiger cruises, The Chief's Mess, Anchors Aweigh, and the Star Spangled Banner.

The Navy is a tongue-tied kid from every small town and massive city growing up to be a Chief Petty Officer or mustang or ships's captain and praising Neptune for showing him the way around the globe and back again. This is a Navy for America. Still a Navy for America. Always a Navy for America.

Written by:
Boats Thompson
Deck Department LPO
USS San Diego LPD 22 Edited by Chief_Rockie

Humans At Sea

This is the man I am. My life moves in a circular direction. I come back home to go away and go away to come back.

I have no address except for the name of the vessel, my passport shows one, my home is elsewhere, where my heart belongs.

I am not like any other man, but yet I am the most ordinary person at heart. I cannot go through the daily mundane stuff of the ordinary man and yet the ordinary man cannot take the pain I go through. He cannot live away from his home, love and life for months on end. He cannot be the helpless son, the lonely husband or the yearning father. He will never know the frustrations of staying awake for days and not getting rest at all, working continuously round the clock. There are no constant time zones we stick to. The ordinary man will not know the lonely cabins I come to after work, whereas he comes to a house full of people. He gets to eat what his mother cooks and gets to be hugged by his children daily. I only see them on pictures. He gets to hear them and see them daily, whereas I have to be strong and do my duties.

My wife must be silently wiping her tears and braving the pain I go through when I cannot see her, when I don't see her as well.Her hands must be longing to hold my hands, her heart must be longing to love me, her lips must be longing to tell me all things happening during the day, her eyes must be longing to look into mine. Whenever she looks at couples on the way to the Super market, she must be turning away her eyes and consoling herself that just few more days. I am an ordinary man and I am away doing my job. I tell everyone to understand that. I need to be away.

I am not a cassanova, I go to the shore to step on land, because I have not felt it beneath my soles for long.I may have dirty secrets but I may not be perfect at times. I am a very lonely man. I have mates with me everytime, but no family when I am away. I don't even know what they do or how they are. The biggest fear that grips my heart is when my family needs me desperately I may not around them. I fight myself daily, I fight these surging thoughts, I tell myself not now mate, our duty calls.

I look forward to the day I meet my folks at home, I pray for their safety and well being here and hope they are happy. I only want them to know, that while I stand tall on the bridge or working hard at the engine, I love my family and I am proud of who I am and what I do.. The ordinary man I am inside, I shall always be.. But...
The man I am today... No ordinary man shall be.

- From a sailor's diary — Edited by Chief_Rockie

Here is some info on the Exercise Ssang Yong 2016 with the Repulic of Korea Navy (ROK). It was a exciting event, here are some news articles about it.

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=93535

https://www.dvidshub.net/feature/ssangyong

http://navylive.dodlive.mil/2016/03/18/integration-and-synchronization-essential-to-getting-forces-ashore-exercise-ssang-yong-2016/

Edited by Chief_Rockie

Ok, so here are some good pictures from the USS Boxer Facebook page.

USS Boxer (LHD-4) leading the formation for Operation Ssang Yong 2016.
12800165_988110581224486_435108873476002

My sailors and I working on the ALCO 2 story Diesel Engines
12742628_979767245392153_34103905423759612728862_979756345393243_679735793067571 Edited by Chief_Rockie

So @[member='Chief_Rockie'] contacted me a few days ago to post an update for him.

He is now in the 5th Fleet area of operations and has restricted internet access for security reasons. So he can not get to here to post.

Looks like they are getting in striking distance of ISIS!

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2016/04/08/these-4500-marines-and-sailors-soon-striking-distance-isis/82745598/

Hey guys, posting a update.  So, we have been really busy.  Killing a lot of evil people out here.  But, in Dubai, UAE for about a week of work/rest.   3 Weeks ago I was in Bahrain.  It has been good, but nothing beats good food and some solid ground under your feet.

Ok, so found some time to update my info on my deployment.  Since Dubai we have visited Muscat, Oman.  Then back out to Sea with a visit to Signapore!  Great City by the way!  I have been there 5 time and is has to be my Favorite City in the world!  A visit in Kota Kinabulu, Malaysia.  Right now, we are on our last few days of deployment as we just left Pearl Harbor, Hawaii just 3 days ago.  I can not wait to come back to the community and start playing with my "extended family".

I finally home!  My ship pulled into San Diego Monday at 9am local time!  I have been home just resting for the last 2 days.  Anyways, I hope to see you all in game soon!

14322529_1083301478451665_87035167065109

Edited by Chief_Rockie