Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
  • Announcements

• Dowin

=ADK= Discord Link   04/24/2017

Come join us in =ADK= Discord To download the Discord app go here: https://discordapp.com/   Discord is going to have a small learning curve over teamspeak so be prepared, but the fellow members as well as the Admins will gladly help you if you have any issues with installing or using the app. Once you have Discord installed all that's left to do is click the button below.   Welcome to the future of the =ADK= Community.   Click Here To Join! 
Melodius

Graphics Card Question

Hi, I currently have a gtx 760 in my computer and was looking to upgrade to a gtx 980 ti, but I know barely anything about graphics cards. So I was hoping you guys could help me out a bit. I know the pascal cards are coming along but I doubt I would really be able to afford it especially since it's supposed to be a Titan successor. Unless the price is going to be cheaper than $1k.

Currently I'm looking at these 2 cards, but I don't know which one is the better card.

I primarily intend to use it for gaming, but will also do other minor tasks as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=gtx%20980%20ti&bop=And&CompareItemList=-1%7C14-487-142%5E14-487-142%2C14-127-889%5E14-127-889&percm=14-487-142%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24%3B14-127-889%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24

Let me know your opinions.

Edited by Melodius

@[member='Melodius']

A GPU needs to compliment your system. meaning a gtx 2000 isn't going to do much good on a pentium 4 system or a system with 2gb of memory. More importantly (arguably) is your mobo too, is it PCI-E 2.0 and/or x16? If not you could be wasting money as you will not get the full 100% out of the card. Are you running w7? then once again you may not get the full potential of the card (Lower DX version).

What are your system specs currently? (FYI: in your profile you can list your specs then you don't have to post them)

Edited by Bromance

I filled this out the best I could on my profile and I'll post it here too. Hardware Identification was never my strong suit, I could never find any classes on it at my community college. I'm much better at GUI.

Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 (MS-7918)

Processor: I7-4770 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 760

PSU: XTREMEGEAR 600 watt power supply (planning to upgrade this)

RAM: 8gb Corsair Dominator

Storage: 500 GB SATA II 3.0 GB 16mb 7200rpm (6tb external Hard Drives, 1 4tb, 2 1tb)

Audio: Logitech G930 Headset/ASUS VN247-C

Monitor: ASUS 24" LCD

Case: NZXT M59 Mid-Tower Gaming Case

Mouse: Razor

Keyboard: Blackwidow

Peripherals: Razor, Black Widow, Logitech G930

Edited by Melodius

personally, as the new cards are close to release, I would wait for a bit . the price of the major cards will dip a bit, the elites that "need" the latest tech will sell off their cards to make something back. I think the new cards will be good but I know I can not dump $1k on a card, just managed to find £330 for my 980. that will keep me going for a bit

Here is my computer specs

System Core
Motherboard
 Asus Z170-A
CPU
 Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz Quad Core 8MB 95W
Ram
 Crucial 32GB DDR4-2133 (2x16GB)
Video Card
 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB
Sound Card
 Onboard Sound
Storage
Hard Drive
 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5inch SSD
Comments: Primary drive. 
 Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5inch SSD
Comments: Secondary drive. 
CD / DVD
 Asus 24x DVD-RW SATA (Black)
Case / Cooling
Case
 Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Special Notes
Power Supply
 EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 Power Supply
CPU Cooling
 Corsair Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler (Rev. 2)
Additional Cooling
 Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound Upgrade
Software
OS

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

Your specs are great for an upgrade. Possible cpu bottleneck on bf4 maybe, but otherwise prime for the upgrade.

I Am thinking of adding a second NVIDIA SLI  2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (EVGA, Asus)

I Am thinking of adding a second NVIDIA SLI 2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (EVGA, Asus)

I dislike sli/crossfire my self. Always issues and two cards doesn't equal twice the performance.

If I was you i'ld look into a sound card instead. Edited by Bromance

will overclocking since the processor can hand 4.0 to between 4.6 and 4.9

I am having professional doing all the overclocking on the  processor.

I am also thinking of getting a closed loop liquid cooling on the graphics card