Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
jbyrns1993

The Great Debate - Intel vs AMD

I really like intel, i like it due to performance and less overheating compared to what I've experienced and seen in the past with AMD having overheating problems and just not as great performance.. just my two cents on it.

Edited by Silent166

I know that Intel does tend to have more performance advantages in areas that gamers or gaming oriented PCs would most benefit from. AMD does usually have more heat issues but in most situations when you apply adequate cooling that doesn't become much of a factor aside from maybe higher CPU or Radiator fan speeds. However I think the biggest arguements come down to pricing and spec comparisons. Without a doubt Intel is like the Apple of the processor market. So it would seem that when comparing similar processors from both of the two corporations you can dang well guarantee the Intel processor will be bloated in price. I personally get AMD in nearly 98% of my situations to date simply for budget reasons. I look forward to the Zen processors coming out from AMD later this year in which may result in the flip of the table when comparing prices, specs, performance, and other important factors.

Not really a controversy or great debate.  

Intel is king for now, but AMD can be better at the midlevel where they are currently focused. AMD generally in GPU and CPU offer the best bang for your buck but can't always meet the higher end specs that Intel and Nvidia can. A lot of the CPU performance also comes from the chipsets on the mobo. Once again Intel leads with better chipsets and a lot better stability than AMD's and through in longer socket type support from intel.

Now AMD has the GPU's embedded in some of their CPU's for a far less price than buying separately. Matter of fact: Check this out . 4 cores with 6 GPU's. Might not run BF on high, but for a budget build and under $110? Amazing deal. I would rather go AMD instead of i3 for sure and probably i5 too (i5 start at $200 ish).

Edited by Bromance

fx 8350 is 160$ retail, and next to an i7 4770k (top notch mainstream intel) at a 300 ish price point, perform nearly the same for gaming, honestly if you are doing tons of video rendering or graphics design, get an intel, otherwise an amd will treat you well for its price point, specifically, because "hyperthreading" is literally intel saying they have imaginary cores that do work (try to tell that to a physicist), the 8350 has 8 PHYSICAL cores

@[member='TheMondayKiller']

i disagree with several points: 

the fx 8350 currently holds the WORLD RECORD for highest overclocking frequency at 8.794.33 MHZ

Both have compatibility issues for little things

read above for the multi process part

@[member='TheMondayKiller']

i disagree with several points: 

the fx 8350 currently holds the WORLD RECORD for highest overclocking frequency at 8.794.33 MHZ

Both have compatibility issues for little things

read above for the multi process part

I wasn't getting my opinion based on facts but on my experience with both Intel and AMD Cores. So the FX8350 might hold the world record of OC freq. But next to experience that record doesn't mean crap. I go with what I can trust and depend on. Everyone will go with products, CPU Cores, Ram, Cooling Systems, PSU's Graphics Cards that they themselves trust...

I bet if you started a thread on Air cooling vs. Water cooling, that threat would be a very interesting opinions game instead a numbers game...

Does anyone know if AMD processors and Nvdia Cards play nice. I've been considering building a new PC with my tax return this year and i've been hearing great things about the newer AMD 8 Cores thats base clock is 4.5ghz. The last PC i built was back in 2012 and i remember AMD and Nvdia having a lot of compatibility issues. what i was thinking of doing was pairing a AMD 8 core with a GTX980 anyone know if it would be compatible? 

Had nothing but problems with my new AMD stuff. (RIH Sabertooth board, There's a large amount of pain and disappointment in that build.) So much so that i actually went to a gen1 i7 build. (end of last year) You don't notice the difference in the switch unless your rendering. Gaming wise you couldn't tell. Used to run AMD all the time. But not gonna lie my Intel's have served me better, albeit stupid expensive.

As for AMD being a 8 core.... Not Quite. But is isnt hyper threading either. Check this out

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/10/12/amd-fx-8150-review/2 Edited by Fullmetal1212

@[member='Kyle Anderson'] totally disagree with the above person

running an 8350 (push-pull h55 cooler)

with a superclocked gtx 980 ti

my minimum fps in a non framerate locked game is around 100 and temps are stable

@[member='Skid']

And some of the largest and most complex engines in the world aren't liquid cooled. They're oil cooled, yet I don't see you running a system of oil cooling ;)

Have a look at Turbofan engines, the Exhaust Temperature is cooled by bypass air before it leaves the engine. Now a decent Turbofan engine produces more BHP or thrust than anything on the road :P
So bigger engines are sometimes cooled by air! 

Edited by TheMondayKiller

Lol, well as of right now i'm not running a bad processor. I'm kicking a i7 3770k main reason i was considering switching it because i'm heard amazing things about the new 8 cores and Intel's 8 core is over a grand to pick up. I'm hearing a lot of talk about liquid cooling though and I've heard you can run the AMD 8 cores without it but if you guys are saying you have to liquid cool it i think thats gonna be the deal breaker for me. Too much maintenance to liquid cool. i may just instead look at picking up a 980TI and roll with the 3770k

All game Consoles run with AMD Proc and Radeon as videocard and are called game consoles cuz are made for gaming non stop so we all know AMD`s heating problems but a nice cooling system will run like a charm, if u don`t build a pc only for gaming then go for Intel with nVidia and watch out cuz not all AMD proc run with nVidia videocards and depend by motherboard aswell.

P.S. Is just my opinion ...

Lol, well as of right now i'm not running a bad processor. I'm kicking a i7 3770k main reason i was considering switching it because i'm heard amazing things about the new 8 cores and Intel's 8 core is over a grand to pick up. I'm hearing a lot of talk about liquid cooling though and I've heard you can run the AMD 8 cores without it but if you guys are saying you have to liquid cool it i think thats gonna be the deal breaker for me. Too much maintenance to liquid cool. i may just instead look at picking up a 980TI and roll with the 3770k

WHAT??? they make those all in one water coolers that are great, inexpensive and maintenance free. I have three machines using the Corsair series  cpu water coolers for two years (knock on wood) no issues whatsoever. Lot of cases even support them now too.

Comparing AMD and Intel for gaming strictly depends on the game. Just like GPU's games support certain processors better than others. As I think I mentioned, chipset is huge too. Obviously the chipsets allow everything to connect and communicate. That is why you can not compare apples to apples. AMD still requires drivers for there cpu's and the newer ones barely run linux now.  

AMD was king, and maybe again but they have stated many times they are not trying to be kings they don't have the financial means to do that compared to intel. They are targeting mid-range only.

My machine hasn't been rebuilt in over 5 years.  I am still running my Ci7 2600K with 16GB RAM, 2x GTX 580s.  The big difference, though, is that I run 3x 180GB SSDs RAID0.  Triple the read/write performance.

I do, however, have to upgrade my graphics cards in order to play a couple new games...

In my past experiences with intel and amd, intel seems to be more stable. at least for me when i would run games they would be way more consistent whereas amd seem to jump from the highs to low frequently performance wise. but intel does have a premium price along with it......and i cant really notice other noticeable differences aside for that so im taking amd's side for this one. 

Intel wins the high end power game hands down.  With that said, AMD does have a strong command over the Low-Mid range CPU game.  Frequently, I stare down a nice Intel CPU, telling myself I shall make it mine some day, but I personally can't justify such a high end (and grossly over-priced) gaming rig really at this point in my life.  I'd love to be that guy with a multi-thousand dollar PC, but that dream will have to wait.  In the meantime, I'll just rebuild every 4 or so years, with minor ($) upgrades every 2 years.  Only way I can justify it myself.

Now on the topic of cooling - Cooling on any system, particularly a system you don't want to sound like a jet engine or Heli engine, will 100% of the time be most efficiently cooled by liquid.  With that said,  pure H2O would be decent, although not the quite ideal.  H2O is actually one hell of an insulator (for both electrical and thermal energies) and obviously we do NOT want an insulator for our cooling system. We need a great thermal conductor.  One great fit would be Crude Oil, although, if being used for purposes such as submersion this would be devastating as crude oil is terribly "dirty" and although a great thermal conductor, is quite poor at being an Electrical insulator.  Best bet would be to use some Transformer Oil within a enclosed structure.  Cycle the Transformer Oil through the system using a small drive fin (or allow thermodynamics to do their magic depending on how large of an enclosed structure you are housing).  Run this through grating similar to how your radiator on your car works, and this would all in all be a pretty decent system.  I could get into much.. much... much further detail on how to maximize this system... but i think everyone can grasp the idea here.

Biggest down fall here is if you ever wanted to do some tinkering with the physical hardware. :(  What a hell of a potential mess. EEk.

Any benchmark I've ever noticed has had Intel on top performance wise. As some others have said, AMD does have nice lower budget options. AMD might have higher overclocks, but you can't compare the GHZ between the two.

As far as liquid cooling, I've heard that due to the specific heat of distilled water, it is actually the best liquid to use in a closed loop system. I saw the Linus Tech Tips video on the submersed mineral oil PC, and even though it's an awesome idea, I doubt it's worth the effort. He did all that work, only to have to do it all again any time he needs to upgrade or clean anything.

I wanted to piece together a water cooling system, but ended up going overboard with the system and would've spent tons of money. Liquid cooling is definitely nice if you run high overclocks. The system I had put together would cool 2 980TI's and a 5960X to under 10 degree differential between ambient.

I would still take a $150 eight core amd cpu over an i7 any day for gaming. Simply put at those levels your biggest bottleneck become your hard drive or graphics card

@[member='Kagzaz']

Truly depends, Intel will dominate in Battlefield 4 period as it is extremely CPU heavy over AMD. So from that standpoint as always it really truly depends on the software/application. Generally speaking you're right in theory but tests after tests after even more tests prove your theory wrong.. Paper lies, data doesn't so why does the paper say they should be close to even but real world and synthetic tests tell different story?  The implementation and in PC talk that's chipsets and bus speeds. Look it up but the chipsets truly control your data, CPU crunches numbers (barney style)....... 

Edited by Bromance