Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
  • Announcements

• Dowin

=ADK= Discord Link   04/24/2017

Come join us in =ADK= Discord To download the Discord app go here: https://discordapp.com/   Discord is going to have a small learning curve over teamspeak so be prepared, but the fellow members as well as the Admins will gladly help you if you have any issues with installing or using the app. Once you have Discord installed all that's left to do is click the button below.   Welcome to the future of the =ADK= Community.   Click Here To Join! 
DecoyDrone

600.00 For Oculus Rift

I imagine that is going to put it out of reach for a lot of folks. Thoughts? I think it will be making the rift people in SC a much smaller minority than they were already going to be. Feels like it is going to push real adoption (by users) out at least another year?

Very likely to delay.   This however also ties into the hardware requirements; Elite already has stated a 980 is the /minimum/ for the vive/oculus... I'm imagining the requirements for SC will be at least that or higher-- and definitely higher if a user wants better quality.   If you're willing to dish out 600 on a card or more, or 300 each on two high qual monitors, the oculus at 600 now sits at that price point... good marketing and supply demand strategy, if not a little unfortunate for those of us who were hoping to get in on this at a price that was closer to where the DK had stood.

Personally I think the 600 bucks is reasonable but that doesn't make it more obtainable. I am really curious how development at CIG will be affected. While I support SC to be cutting edge, if only a few hundred backers will be able to enjoy VR then maybe it can be pushed down the road at least a little. 

I think the technology is too new.  The price will go down and the technology will be better in the near future.  Technology is moving fast and once you purchase it, there is a new one out the following week.

Early Adopters gotta pay the price for future generations, R&D isn't cheap. Oculus has even said they're selling it at cost just to get things rolling.

$600 is nothing, most decent gaming-centric monitors go for that much easily, in fact the monitors I'm wanting to add to my next rig cost over $1000 right now, and I want more than one of them... plus I'll need a Rift's worth of video cards for each of them most likely. Anyone who would be running a 980 or better would spend $600 on a unique and amazing monitor without crying over it.

All that being said, they really should have tried to move away from the original statement of consumer friendly $300 target a lot sooner.

I think that it is actually packaged to make it more expensive in this situation. Totalbiscuit talked about it (video linked below) and said that "They bundled the pieces together to make it a bundle deal for people who want a complete set."

There are a few unnecessary items in the package that I think are making the cost $600 instead of the original $350-400 range. The Xbox controller retails for $60 and the two games are $30 and $60 so that puts the set with everything in it $450 which I see as very reasonable for a BRAND new technology that should change the way we game. With the set un-bundled in the future I believe we will see it drop back into the $400 range once it has been out. 

Other than that I am not totally surprised. I want the HTC vive due to the specs and the look so I'll be waiting around for a bit :D

Totalbiscuit Video on Oculus Rift announcement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAwXhbYM-UE

if you have a smartphone you can purchase a VR holder and emulate the oculus rift with your phone. I believe HTC are doing this officially. I have tried it with Elite Dangerous and it is pretty good. It is the cheapest way of getting into VR without spending hundreds.

I am looking into getting the oculus.  I am also looking at the Steam Vibe which looks really good.  I am hearing some really good news about the vibe.

The Rift if your wanting to buy it stand-alone if sold out in alot of places or the back order is months out.  I think that early adoption isnt a problem, I think the challenge these VR headsets are gonna face in over the next year is if the quality holds up.  There are going to be far more people spending more time with them.  At first I was like most and though 600 was high given the dev kits were 300, but the hardware is better then the dev kits.