Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
  • Announcements

• Dowin

=ADK= Discord Link   04/24/2017

Come join us in =ADK= Discord To download the Discord app go here: https://discordapp.com/   Discord is going to have a small learning curve over teamspeak so be prepared, but the fellow members as well as the Admins will gladly help you if you have any issues with installing or using the app. Once you have Discord installed all that's left to do is click the button below.   Welcome to the future of the =ADK= Community.   Click Here To Join! 
DowntownRiots

New Rig Creation - I Have No Clue

Hello guys. So here's my story. I'm been using Dell gaming laptops for the last 10 years. Started with the Inspiron 9300 for 5 years and now currently XPS 17. I roughly spent $2k-2.1k on each. So I felt I got my money's worth for them lasting so long. The Inspiron died cause I left a window open and torrential rains hit and the graphics card got fried... was going to cost $300+ to get a replacement; not worth considering its age. The current XPS I have is doing fine for all task basic tasks except for running newer games (released in the last 1.5 years) on anything but the lowest possible settings and getting around 25-30fps. Why laptops, well I was in college and moving A LOT (8 times in 8 years) and flying back and forth from Hawaii to NJ (to visit family once a year). So I needed something to take with my easily.

Now I have been living in the same place for 3+ years and my rig is reaching its limits of playing relatively smoothly. I took a hiatus from gaming for the last two months because of life. Now I have returned I have difficult time playing games such as 7 Days to Die (20fps average) PlanetSide 2 (25fps average), Space Engineers (18fps average), BF4 (30fps average), Star Citizen (5fps average), etc. All these games on the lowest possible settings and with other alternatives to increase FPS and eliminate background program usage.

So I have come here to let my troubles be resolved with the community I have grown to appreciate and respect. I know a number of guys here have built their own rigs and helped other design theirs. I too now seek advice and more so a setup that will help me.

What I am looking for is something that will allow me to game with the setup for years to come. Where in a year I do NOT need to buy more parts or upgrade to keep up. I know every year a new game comes out and new equipment is need to keep up. I am not asking for that. I am looking for something to play what's out there now at near max settings and as time goes on with new games I will lower the settings to maintain playability for years to come.

Since my experience with computer systems have been through Dell and Dell has since eliminated their custom built PC (outside of Alienware) I have no idea what I am doing. I've played around on numerous sites and most of the rigs I have built have been around $3k+. While that is a quite a bit of money for most (me included) I know some of you guys dropped much money on your system. I am strictly looking for a gaming rig and nothing more. I have a sample of what I built from CyberPower to start. 

I thank any of you who will help in my creation. It doesn't have to be prebuilts but it is simple, but if I can save by part buying then I'll consider it. I do not mind spending the extra on Extending Warrenties since in my experience I have always gotten my money's worth. Thank you again.

//www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Infinity_8800_Pro_SE

Wow that looks awesome! What about a secondary storage? I see the 128gig for the main but I feel I would try to keep that from limited use for game installs. Would that mid tower have support for 2nd hard drive (1-2TB)?

So.......... 8 months later and many issues dealing with playing games I have caved in an did this thing....

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/R4Nbhq

Should be here in a few days.

NOTE: 1080 was actually $719 from NewEgg

Edited by DowntownRiots

Finally everything came in and the setup up went relatively smoothly. Only issues were:
1. Even though everything is downloads (games/software) you still need a CD drive to install Windows and the drivers for the motherboard. I didn't buy one for this build but luckly my neighbor let me borrow his to do all the installing from those discs.
2. The case has a fan hub for easy controlling. The CPU fan doesn't like the like hub so after some searching and testing I had to connect the CPU fan to the CPU_Fan on the mother board and the fan hub to the CPU_Opt. Now I don't get the fan speed issues when booting.

Now the only thing missing the back order on the GTX 1080.... NewEgg has no clue when it will be back in stock (I double check via e-mail and text). So now I have just time to wait before I can get back to the gaming. But with this time I wonder if I am getting the best card in that price range....ugh

1)  It's probably too late now, but I created a Windows 10 USB drive to install it on my PC's and it works really well.  Check out the article How to install windows 10 on a USB Drive.  Scroll down to "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install windows 10 on a different pc (click to show more or less information)" and click on it.  I did this with a USB drive and now I don't need a DVD drive, and it's faster to install windows this way.  

2)  Separating the cpu fan from the case fans is a good thing.  You should be able to setup your motherboard to sound an alarm/shutdown in case the cpu fan stops working which can save your butt and expensive parts.  I have mine setup this way in the bios.