Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Chief_Rockie

A First Look at Albion Online

A First Look review of a new MMORPG written by Chief_Rockie. Albion Online has guilds, trading, banks, farming, PVP, and more!

Albion Online is a new MMORPG currently in a closed beta.  It has unique concepts and a very different look both in game mechanics and visually.  It was developed and is being published by Sandbox Interactive (their first release of any game)- a game that has completely relatable play styles of Ultima Online, Runescape, and fighting similar to Diablo. Through the next few paragraphs I'm going to explain the game and tell you my personal likes and dislikes.

Cross Platform and System Requirements

One of the more interesting aspects to the game is its cross platform ability from the graphics to the system specifications.  Everything was designed for the game to be played on both a portable tablet or on your home PC.  It still however does not take too much away from the visual appearance of the game.  With that said, it is important to know that the model is of a 2D overhead playing style, very much similar to Ultima Online, but with more polished graphics similar to Runescape.  For having 2D style gameplay, the graphics are still crisp and very stylish.  This keeps the System spec’s low enough to play on the Tablet.  The only real concern is System Memory which is is 2G’s. I personally tried out the game on the tablet, and I found that someone like me (who has limited time), was able to sit with the wife and watch a movie while just checking the screen every few minutes to gather resources and craft.  The convenience and portability of the game means that you are always able to get in when you want or need to to help the guild in its endeavors. 

Controls and Interface

When it comes to controls, the game is more at its MMORPG roots. It is a point and click style game.  WASD are not your moving controls, but those keys are used later for combat skills.  The game operates smooth with no real glitches or stuck graphics.  For the game being in Beta, it is incredible that it is so optimized now. The the interface is a bit clumsy, but after playing around with things like how to find your bag, exit the game, or check you stats, you get used to it. Also, the menus and interface screens are a little large.  You can see how they have developed this to be on a Tablet.  It is small inconvenience, though nothing worth stop playing game for.

Customization

The customization in the game is varied. The reason I say this is due to the fact that

1. The game is still in Closed Beta with only one Race available (There should be six playable races on release).

2. The choices on how their appearance is is also limited. To be honest with you, this will matter very little. Most of your customization will be done through gear. You will not be able to scroll in far enough to see how many hairs you have on you face to count as a beard, so it doesn’t really matter, but, you can change your hair, underwear, face, and skin color with up to six different types. Again, the gear is the most important part of your appearance.

Factions

Albion Online has six Factions to the game. Each Faction provides Mission, Experience, and money through your reputation with them. The factions are Royal Expeditionary Forces, Disciples of Morgana, The Heretics, Keepers of Albion, The Undead, and the Demons of Hell. Each faction provides unique and different gear and weapons when you complete missions for them. Here is the twist. The payment you receive in this game is silver, and it is what you need to purchase almost everything!  Each faction, as players go to them for quest will pay less silver, requiring players that are just playing the missions for money to find other factions. However, this will lower their standings with a rival if they do so. This feature is installed to control the economy so that they can maintain the balance so that the Players still control the economy through their villages and player housing. Besides that, each faction has it’s own side story and missions. The Faction that you will most encounter in the game is Royal Expeditionary Forces.

Economy

As eluded to in the last paragraph, the in-game Economy is controlled by the players. How is this achieved? Well, several ways. Crafting, like in Runescape, is a cornerstone to the game. Crafting will be done for almost everything! Your gear, your weapons, your housing, your village, etc. So of course, gathering resources are quintessential to crafting. Player housing also offers a lot of variation to it. You can make farms for livestock and crops. Not only that, you can have labors do the work for you. Then you can take your “Home Grown Goods” and sell them at the auction house, or, you guild town. Yes, your guild can build a town and you can own a property in town to sell your goods, have a smithy, or even a carpenter's station and charge a tax. This game believes in the people running the systems and not the other way around.

Auction House and Bank

With the Auction house, it feels and looks just like every other game- nothing really new to that. There are auction houses in every NPC held towns (Green). I cannot personally speak on the Guild Villages though. I have not gotten that far in the game to have anything to share on both positive or negative. The banks are giant chest. There is a lot of room for resources, gear, weapons, and mounts. Here is the unique aspect to this game, each bank in each town is different. What I mean by that is that they are not linked. What that means is you will have to move resources if you need to another town or you can stockpile in current towns. Either way, I don’t see it as a positive or a negative. I see it more as different and like the fact I can store away tools, resources, gear, and weapons. Then I can move stuff if I need to.

Combat

Combat in Albion Online is different. This is where the Ultima and Runescape similarities disperse and the Diablo like combat kicks in. First off, it is not a action based MMO, I know that right there will turn off a few people. However, combat in this game is intense. Here are the reasons. One, this game is a classless game. What that means is you have not chosen a class. This is dependent on your gear. You can wear whatever the hell you want. You want to be a Heavy Armor Battlemage, DO IT!  You want to be a lightweight warrior with Sword and Shield but cloth cloths, DO IT! Gear and weapons are what your passive and active abilities and traits are linked to. So you can have a Paladin Class with a staff and heavy armor. Just Craft it that way. Now here are some important things to remember. You can lose your gear!  If you die, it will drop, and other players can pick it up and use it! So, dying in this game MATTERS! Almost all your equipment can and will mostly be crafted.  Dungeons will have a small chance to drop equipment and grinding reputation with the factions will get your really cool and unique equipment.

Dungeons

The Dungeons in this game are many and plentiful. Not only are they are great source for Drops, but they also provide rare gems, rubies, and Soul Stones. Some Dungeons require a certain equipment Tier level to access. The thing with dungeons is that they are not instanced. That means in Yellow, Red, and Black areas it might become a fight over the right to kill the boss by another group. There are also Hellgates in the gate. To access a Hellgate you have to kill a Gate Keeper.  However, somewhere else in the world is another Gate Keeper that will open another portal to the same Hellgate. I can not speak to much to the nature of the Dungeons, I have not reached that far in the last 2 days. However, I have seen, read, and watched enough to get the general idea.

Progression and Unlocking Skills

Progression in this game is done via a system call “The Destiny Board”.  Now upon first glance this is scary looking as hell. However, if you look at is close it is very simple. Following the flow of the board up the center it acts just like a tutorial. Starting the game there is not real tutorial. But the game is intuitive, so it is not really needed and you can always go back to the Destiny Board. Now, this is where it gets interesting. Certain abilities start to spider web off the center. Farming and its sub-abilities, and combat, which then subs into torches, swords, bows, etc.

The Map

As for the map, it is huge. Albion is a vast expanse, with a lot of area to cover and go for resources for crafting. Certain areas, just like every other MMO, have higher level mobs and resources. Another different take on maps is the zones. Zones are broken into Green, Yellow, Red, and Black. With Yellow, it is a open PvP zone that even if you are not flagged for PvP you can still be attacked. However, you will have a buff to make yourself stronger and harder to kill for the enemy. Red zones are the same thing, but I believe the buff is less. Then the Black zones are no hold bars. Beware, you will lose your stuff. Again, this is something I have not done much of, just into the Yellow area myself.

PvP and the Map Areas

Guilds in this game have a role to play in this game more than just a name. Guilds can have a island, they can own towns, and they can also have an entire castle. Now, the island is a sanctuary. This means that it can not be attacked. As for the village and the castle, those can be attack and captured. Enemies can opt to burn down your stuff and build anew if they so choose.

In the Green zone, you have NPC villages, towns, and cities. In the cities you can own plots of land. On these plots you can build carpenters shack, a smithy, or even a tannery for leather. You will have a laborer that will require food to work, but other users can use your plot and you will get tax surplus in your bank.

To expound upon the guild owned villages, these will be in the Yellow and above zones.  Your villages WILL BE ATTACKED BY OTHER GUILDS!  You can lose builds, or even the entire town.  This makes for really interesting game play.

Final Thoughts

My overall opinion on this game is a positive. Of course there is some issues that I have with certain aspects of the game. However, the pros outweigh the cons 100% personally for me. For most of the first looks it is getting great reviews. It is important to remember that these are first looks. The game is still in Closed Beta.

gamewalkers.com - 8.0 out of 10

MMO Attack.com - 8.0 out of 10

MMORPG.com - 8.17 out of 10

My Pros and Cons

Pros

• Intense Combat. Never stale and very rewarding and punishing respectfully.
  • A game that truly drives it’s player base into teamwork!
  • The economy is driven by the players through Craft, Farming, and Auctions.
  • Player run towns and villages.
  • Portable game play, anywhere, anytime!
  • The banking systems in the game are connected to each other.

Cons

• The game UI is a little clunky.
  • Missions can only be accepted one at a time.

Chief_Rockie

Resources

www.gamewalkers.com

www.mmorpg.com

http://mmoattack.com/

www.onrpg.com

www.keenandgraev.com

www.mmogames.com

www.gamesidestory.com

www.zonammorpg.com

Youtubers -

MMOHuts

Feinter

TheLazyPeon

iBlood Sphere

[url=http://www.adkgamers.com/_/reviews/pc-reviews/a-first-look-at-albion-online-r676]Click here to view the article[/url]

Thank all for the taking the time to read the article.  I'm very glad that you all enjoyed the read.  If you are interested in joining the 4 of us playing, please let me know.  We have a few post already started to get this game going.

For those of us playing, we already have very ambitious ideas and plans.  Again, you have to purchase a "Founders package".  The $25 dollar one to me is totally worth every penny spent.

Here are the posts if you all crave more information or want to show your support in getting it started!

http://www.adkgamers.com/topic/136364-lets-play-game-request-for-albion-online/

http://www.adkgamers.com/topic/136319-game-channel-requests-for-albion-online/

http://www.adkgamers.com/topic/136318-a-little-about-the-new-mmo-albion-online/

@[member='White Death'], yeah, the game is great.  Having a lot of fun in the game.  Like I said, there are 3 of us in game right now trying to start something up before game is released.  There is a lot to learn in this game.  And we are trying to get our minds wrapped around as much as we can.

Man, I wish you would have been around 1 year ago when I have a guild with 8 people. I left for deployment and it fell apart. I would join you, but I'm putting to much effort in Space Engineers. Sorry Cherycrush.

Sent from my SM-N910V using =ADK= Gaming Community mobile app